That's a nice bike, how are you finding the comfort of it for longer rides?

And true, cycling is very low impact on your joints, nice and easy workout.

I've loved it so far! I tend to ride with my fiance 95% of the time otherwise i would have gotten just a road bike, however she likes to go moderate speeds, used loosely. We tend to go out about 14-20 miles a clip and i've had zero issues so far (that's about her limit). I'm 6'0, 185lbs and i went with the 20" version.

Next up is a computer type thing. I've been using my iphone and MapMyRide but it'd be nicer to have it right in front of me instead of below in my bag.

I've loved it so far! I tend to ride with my fiance 95% of the time otherwise i would have gotten just a road bike, however she likes to go moderate speeds, used loosely. We tend to go out about 14-20 miles a clip and i've had zero issues so far (that's about her limit). I'm 6'0, 185lbs and i went with the 20" version.

Next up is a computer type thing. I've been using my iphone and MapMyRide but it'd be nicer to have it right in front of me instead of below in my bag.

You can by a craddle to mount on your bar. I forget who makes it. It was pricey, but may be worth it.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

As for buying a bike, I'd check on used bikes at your local shops first. Gettng it from a shop can be a big help if you find something in your price range.

After trying to recover all week I'm going to try to get out for a short ride tomorrow afternoon and / or sunday before my tee time at noon.

I've thought about commuting but haven't pulled the trigger. Do you have a shower where you work or are you "baby wipping"

War Eagle - great job logging 100 miles / week

I used to ride competitively for years. Ever since golf came into my life, lol, I have a Fuji SST 2.0 with Campagnolo 11spd sitting in the house getting absolutely ZERO use! Actually thinking of selling it. Although, I do take my MTN Bike on the trails about once a week!

EA90TT.jpg

Okay,, back to square one..

I have not ridden since before golf season late in July. Went our for 25 mixed terrain on Sat. and did not do as well as when I last left the bike. I knew I wouldn't, but I did not think it would be this bad. I started cramping at about 23 and I was not starving myself from liquids and it was not an uber spirited ride. I have to get out more. Golf ends next Tuesday so hopefully the bike will get me out to play more...

Could they put another Fuji sticker on? :shock: JK.. hehe..

XM put that thing to use!!!!

Okay,, back to square one..

I have not ridden since before golf season late in July. Went our for 25 mixed terrain on Sat. and did not do as well as when I last left the bike. I knew I wouldn't, but I did not think it would be this bad. I started cramping at about 23 and I was not starving myself from liquids and it was not an uber spirited ride. I have to get out more. Golf ends next Tuesday so hopefully the bike will get me out to play more...

Could they put another Fuji sticker on? :shock: JK.. hehe..

Grumpy, 23 miles was my wall for a long time. I talked about it a few pages back about going out on 42-50 mile rides, and every time I hit 23 miles I cramped and hit a wall. Changed a few things with hydrating and eating before my rides, as well as using a gel when I got to around mile 20-21 and seemed to help me keep going.

Grumpy, 23 miles was my wall for a long time. I talked about it a few pages back about going out on 42-50 mile rides, and every time I hit 23 miles I cramped and hit a wall. Changed a few things with hydrating and eating before my rides, as well as using a gel when I got to around mile 20-21 and seemed to help me keep going.

WE, I have tried numerous drinks and foods, and some worked. Eating and drinking more helped, but I would still cramp on the A group rides. I could hang for longer distance if I jumped in with the B group (even then I am on the back struggling to hold on). But, the more spirited rides have a pace that my legs say cramp at a certain distance and then I am toast. Age may also be a factor, but in reality, it is Job+kids+golf = a lot less time to ride my bike....

WE, I have tried numerous drinks and foods, and some worked. Eating and drinking more helped, but I would still cramp on the A group rides. I could hang for longer distance if I jumped in with the B group (even then I am on the back struggling to hold on). But, the more spirited rides have a pace that my legs say cramp at a certain distance and then I am toast. Age may also be a factor, but in reality, it is Job+kids+golf = a lot less time to ride my bike....
One of the ladies at our Bike shop turned me on to the PowerBar Ironman Perform drink (http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4327695). I like it a lot, and usually have two bottles of it with me on the rides. Seems to have helped a bit more than just water.

Ha. That's what the wife says...I just don't have the desire as much anymore. Got it up for sale on Craigslist but not going to cry if it doesn't sell! LOL

These are the best Cardio exercises for good health and fitness,

Walking
Jogging
Dancing
Swimming
Skating

First ride in 3 weeks tonight. Had been lacking motivation for almost anything after my crazy busy work weekend. Haven't been able to practice or play golf as much lately either.
Driving range last night and a good ride tonight. Had an average speed about a mile per hour higher than I thought it would be.

15 miles in the nice afternoon!

First ride in 3 weeks tonight. Had been lacking motivation for almost anything after my crazy busy work weekend. Haven't been able to practice or play golf as much lately either.
Driving range last night and a good ride tonight. Had an average speed about a mile per hour higher than I thought it would be.

Nice ride! 15 miles is a nice little workout, for sure.

Sigh.... Haven't been able to either due to the shorter days and all the kids activities.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I decided to give cycling a try (again) recently. I'm a gear head of sorts, but also frugal.

A few years ago I got a Felt 90 road bike, which was an entry level cycle if I recall. Did a few rides with a buddy then he and I drifted apart. Didn't have the interest in riding solo so much. Then the golf bug hit and have been 100% into golf for the last four years. Bike sits.

I got the hankering to ride again recently, but was thinking about trying something different ala mountain or hybrid bike. Something more "mellow" for casual use. I looked at the Giant Escape but decided to go with Giant Roam (1). I'm enjoying it a bunch.

I just found out that there is a weekly road ride going out nearby my house of avid cyclists that I never knew about. I might dust off the Felt and join them - but in the mean time the little Roam has been fun to get around town and do something other than golf.

War,

Educate me bro. I want a bike. I want one that doesn't have those teeny tiny tires or one that requires me to wear a spandex suit. I want one that goes on pavement for the most part. I want one that's reliable and economical.

Thanks

War,

Educate me bro. I want a bike. I want one that doesn't have those teeny tiny tires or one that requires me to wear a spandex suit. I want one that goes on pavement for the most part. I want one that's reliable and economical.

Thanks

Lucas, you and Erin should get one of these.

family-cycle.JPG

No thanks.

War,

Thanks

I was that way for a long time, dude. I rode a hybrid type bike for a while, but then decided I wanted to up my miles and do some longer distances. For that, I went with a road bike as it offered me a more comfortable seated position, especially when you are on the bike for 4+ hours.

What you will probably want is some sort of hybrid that will offer you something you can go a good distance on, and still provide good comfort and ergonomics.

You dont have to wear the spandex, unless you want to. But you will definitely want some padded shorts so you dont get all sore and chaffed. You can get some biking shorts with the padding and throw a pair of athletic shorts on top of them, or purchase a pair that are like swim trunks with two layers.

For you, I think a bike like the Specialized Sirrus would be perfect. It's a hybrid bike, multipurpose if you will. Basically a road bike they transformed a bit to be more of an all purpose bike. So many options you can go with a bike like this, tires can be bigger or you can go thinner. I think it would be the style you would want. Easily go 30+ miles but also perfect for just cruising around with the kids. Check it out... http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/sirrus

Perfect info buddy. But, uh, which model? Just the Sirrus?

Perfect info buddy. But, uh, which model? Just the Sirrus?
I would start with the Sirrus or the Sirrus Sport, and no need to go to a carbon frame or anything like that.

Going to send a PM your way.

TC,

Have you thought about a mountain bike? You are in a prime area and can get some great exercise on the trails.

Tapatalkin

TC,

Have you thought about a mountain bike? You are in a prime area and can get some great exercise on the trails.

Tapatalkin

Not really interested in biking off pavement buddy. Too much of a pain driving somewhere to ride a bike. I just want to walk out the front door and go.

Not really interested in biking off pavement buddy. Too much of a pain driving somewhere to ride a bike. I just want to walk out the front door and go.
I said it in the workout thread the other day, but I bet the hills in Ashville will provide an awesome workout. I have to rely solely on distance down here, as we dont have those things you all call "hills."

Back