The Fitness & Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got to develop a solid stretching routine and stick to it. I like my physique, but the bigger I get the more awkward my golf swing feels, especially when I'm not practicing regularly and I'm definitely not stretching like I should be.

I've got to develop a solid stretching routine and stick to it. I like my physique, but the bigger I get the more awkward my golf swing feels, especially when I'm not practicing regularly and I'm definitely not stretching like I should be.

I don't stretch much either. I typically sit in the steam room for a bit after each workout though. That helps me limber up.

See, if I'm being honest, the more i find myself getting into working out, the less I care about golfing. I still enjoy golf but it certainly doesn't change my life like keg throwing has/does.

I don't stretch much either. I typically sit in the steam room for a bit after each workout though. That helps me limber up.

See, if I'm being honest, the more i find myself getting into working out, the less I care about golfing. I still enjoy golf but it certainly doesn't change my life like keg throwing has/does.

To be honest, I've been that way for a while myself. I don't go to the range at all anymore since my afternoons after work are spent in the gym. I have been playing about once every couple of weeks or so if that. I haven't actually played since September 29th but I have a tee time tomorrow morning, so when I went to pick up my wedge this morning just to swing a few times and get a feel for it, my swing felt awful. My back/shoulders are tight and I can tell that the weight I've gained over the fall is going to cause my swing to feel no where near as comfortable tomorrow.

Anyone have any tips for someone with rheumatoid arthritis? I haven't touched a weight since early this year and I miss working out. Problem is if I keep my joints frozen into position, wrists with free weights for example, and load them with weights the follow up pain is ridiculous. I swim for cardio, well, dog paddle anyway. Swimming is just about zero joint impact so it's pain free. Really like to start lifting again but scared to death to try.

But I bet it won't bother you in the end because you are taking ownership of your body.

I just got an email from a coworker that does some bootcamp workout. They're offering a groupon to do the five week program for $29. It's normally $199. I'm thinking about giving that a crack but I'm afraid if I do I won't go to the gym and throw kegs like I have been. I don't see anything wrong with doing both. You?

Anyone have any tips for someone with rheumatoid arthritis? I haven't touched a weight since early this year and I miss working out. Problem is if I keep my joints frozen into position, wrists with free weights for example, and load them with weights the follow up pain is ridiculous. I swim for cardio, well, dog paddle anyway. Swimming is just about zero joint impact so it's pain free. Really like to start lifting again but scared to death to try.

Resistance bands dude. Or even use the nautilus machines

But I bet it won't bother you in the end because you are taking ownership of your body.

I just got an email from a coworker that does some bootcamp workout. They're offering a groupon to do the five week program for $29. It's normally $199. I'm thinking about giving that a crack but I'm afraid if I do I won't go to the gym and throw kegs like I have been. I don't see anything wrong with doing both. You?

that's a hell of a deal

that's a hell of a deal

It is, but it's only a deal if I can make the commitment. I really want to do it but no way I'm cutting out what I'm doing currently. I just don't know how feasible doing both is.

Resistance bands dude. Or even use the nautilus machines

I like the bands idea. Could loop them around my forearm and get some things done. Anything that locks my wrists up is no good.

How many times per week and how long? What type of workout is it? More p90x/insanity type I assume?

I don't see anything wrong with mixing up what you do, but IMO you gotta make sure you have adequate rest/recovery time and also that your diet/calorie intake is sufficient enough to cover the activity you are doing.

I never believed in the idea of overtraining when I was younger but I personally experienced the effects of it a few months back. I was hitting it incredibly hard, cardio in the morning and heavy workout sessions at night with sprints thrown in 2x/week. I was also on a cut so my calories were lower than maintenance. I handled it fine for some time, but towards the end of my cut I started seeing the negative effects. Lack of libido, lack of energy, no desire to go to the gym, strength loss, etc. It really wasn't fun at all. I'm a stickler for time off and deloading every once in a while. I catch some flack for it from other guys at the gym who say that time off is for weak people, but I'm in it for the long haul and I know first hand the effects of too little rest/recovery time.

Last night was weight day but we didnt go. Instead we had Papa Johns pizza and beer. Suck on that work out nerds!

Last night was weight day but we didnt go. Instead we had Papa Johns pizza and beer. Suck on that work out nerds!

that's my kind of workout

I like the bands idea. Could loop them around my forearm and get some things done. Anything that locks my wrists up is no good.

YOu could also do a lot of cable work Griff. Check this out:

[video=youtube;RFJLZ-OyEIw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFJLZ-OyEIw[/video]

How many times per week and how long? What type of workout is it? More p90x/insanity type I assume?

I don't see anything wrong with mixing up what you do, but IMO you gotta make sure you have adequate rest/recovery time and also that your diet/calorie intake is sufficient enough to cover the activity you are doing.

I never believed in the idea of overtraining when I was younger but I personally experienced the effects of it a few months back. I was hitting it incredibly hard, cardio in the morning and heavy workout sessions at night with sprints thrown in 2x/week. I was also on a cut so my calories were lower than maintenance. I handled it fine for some time, but towards the end of my cut I started seeing the negative effects. Lack of libido, lack of energy, no desire to go to the gym, strength loss, etc. It really wasn't fun at all. I'm a stickler for time off and deloading every once in a while. I catch some flack for it from other guys at the gym who say that time off is for weak people, but I'm in it for the long haul and I know first hand the effects of too little rest/recovery time.

The Groupon is good for 5 weeks and 6 days per week. I would probably go 3-4 days per week but right now I am in the gym 6 days per week. I certainly like your input on this stuff. I imagine it's more insanity/p90 type stuff but I really don't know.

Time change this weekend means the days are getting shorter and the temperatures are dropping, about time for me to get back to the gym to do my winter workouts. When the weather is warmer, I prefer to be outside playing golf or riding my bike as opposed to being in the gym. However, winter doesn't really allow that so I get into the gym at that time. I'm not looking forward to the first couple of weeks at all, but hopefully I can get a little stronger and drop about 5 pounds in the process.

Griff, I subscribe to this dude's Youtube channel. He's great at giving explanations and instruction. This is a cable routine that I implement 3 days per week:

The Groupon is good for 5 weeks and 6 days per week. I would probably go 3-4 days per week but right now I am in the gym 6 days per week. I certainly like your input on this stuff. I imagine it's more insanity/p90 type stuff but I really don't know.

Maybe try lifting monday, thursday, saturday and do the boot camp on tuesday/friday?

I like Wednesday and Sunday as my off days. As of right now I am basically following a program known as P.H.A.T. by a guy named Layne Norton. Heavy workouts on Monday and Tuesday and more speed/power movements on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I like it a lot.

I'll try cables as well TC. I see potential there. If I had to release pressure off my wrists I bet there's something I could rig to my forearms. As long as my joints are in motion I can do it. Good stuff.

Maybe try lifting monday, thursday, saturday and do the boot camp on tuesday/thursday?

I like Wednesday and Sunday as my off days. As of right now I am basically following a program known as P.H.A.T. by a guy named Layne Norton. Heavy workouts on Monday and Tuesday and more speed/power movements on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I like it a lot.

I hear ya, but man I hate to change up what's working. YOu know?

I'll try cables as well TC. I see potential there. If I had to release pressure off my wrists I bet there's something I could rig to my forearms. As long as my joints are in motion I can do it. Good stuff.

Cables and resistance bands should be easy on the joints dude, especially if you focus more on technique and NOT weight.

Right on TC. I may not get full range of motion on some exercises, but I'm not trying to get huge. Would like to do no worse than maintain my strength. If I keep going like this I'll be swinging lady flex clubs next year. Pumped to try some of it out, may head out tonight!

I hear ya, but man I hate to change up what's working. YOu know?

If it's working for you and you enjoy it then don't change it. Consistency is the most overlooked factor in any lifting/diet plan. If you can stay consistent with just about any program it will more than likely work.

Right on TC. I may not get full range of motion on some exercises, but I'm not trying to get huge. Would like to do no worse than maintain my strength. If I keep going like this I'll be swinging lady flex clubs next year. Pumped to try some of it out, may head out tonight!

DUde, this thread is a motivator. Keep us all updated on the progress. Good luck getting back in there buddy. FWIW, I train at a place called The Asheville Racquet Club, which is a tennis based club. Most of the members are 1. tennis players 2. golfers 3. typically older. A lot of the trainers work with their clients on exactly what you're looking for. I'm not saying your old or anything but most of what these people are doing in the gym is resistance band and cable work for a lot of the same reasons you are seeking.

I'm still struggling to get a routine in my life where I can get specific days for throwing kegs. I'd like to get a program going, but I know I'd be behind by the 3rd week and it would throw everything out. At the moment, Monday is the only sure night I get, when I play football for an hour, then hit the kegs. I still manage another 3 or 4 a week, but it's never the same nights.

Also, TC has the best signature ever. Well, except mine.

DUde, this thread is a motivator. Keep us all updated on the progress. Good luck getting back in there buddy. FWIW, I train at a place called The Asheville Racquet Club, which is a tennis based club. Most of the members are 1. tennis players 2. golfers 3. typically older. A lot of the trainers work with their clients on exactly what you're looking for. I'm not saying your old or anything but most of what these people are doing in the gym is resistance band and cable work for a lot of the same reasons you are seeking.

You're right, I'm motivated now and I'll update my progress for sure. My ego in this sort of thing checked out when I hit 40 last year, but I know what you're saying. Don't need to bench a truck or squat a house to be strong and dedicated to feeling better.

I'm still struggling to get a routine in my life where I can get specific days for throwing kegs. I'd like to get a program going, but I know I'd be behind by the 3rd week and it would throw everything out. At the moment, Monday is the only sure night I get, when I play football for an hour, then hit the kegs. I still manage another 3 or 4 a week, but it's never the same nights.

Also, TC has the best signature ever. Well, except mine.

Yes! I knew you'd love it! What an awesome saying and I will think of it every time I walk into to the gym to throw kegs.

You're right, I'm motivated now and I'll update my progress for sure. My ego in this sort of thing checked out when I hit 40 last year, but I know what you're saying. Don't need to bench a truck or squat a house to be strong and dedicated to feeling better.

That's right dude. No egos here, just a bunch of friends pushing each other.

I got my hands on the insanity workout last night :comp: and am going to try doing it in the morning before work. It will be a lifestyle change as I don't get enough sleep as it is, but I need it. Still need to look into Schweitzer's awesome email he sent me about food and diet.

Daddy needs some chisel action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back