SCOR Golf - The Official Thread

Wade, hit me up on the range at Bear's Best next Saturday and I'll be glad to let you swing them...at least I think I remember that you're coming to Atlanta.

I will be there as well. Depending on height you can hit mine as well

Are these available in the UK, or only through the website as this was the first I have heard of them?

Wade, hit me up on the range at Bear's Best next Saturday and I'll be glad to let you swing them...at least I think I remember that you're coming to Atlanta.

Yep, I'll be there. Thanks for the offer. I'd love to swing a few.

JP, I have a couple questions:

As the scor wedges are a muscleback design, would you see any problem with higher handicap golfers using the 9 iron?

What are your thoughts on face design with regards to spin? I'm seeing companies do 2 things in general, which they claim increases spin. Most companies now use a rougher face texture by way of etching or milling to increase friction. The other thing I'm seeing is an increase number of score lines which they also claim increases spin. Could you provide us with your view on whether these design features do what they claim, in your experience.

thanks
Mike

Two more days. This shipping is ridiculously slow... grr. I guess I should probably blame UPS instead...

Advantages of SCOR4161

Advantages of SCOR4161

So JP, for those of us who haven'ttried a SCOR yet, give us the pitch.

What makes a SCOR better than the competition? What will aSCOR allow me to do that another vendor's wedge will not?

Thanks!

Great questions. First, the major difference betweenSCOR4161 Precision Scoring Clubs and other wedges is our Patented V-Sole. Wehave combined the advantages of a high bounce and a low bounce in the sameclub. What this does is allow you to think about the shot and not about bounce.We've all been in a situation where the bounce we have on our wedge just isn't right for the condition. Our V-SoleDesign incorporates a high bounce on the leading edge and a low bounce on thetrailing or predominant part of the sole. No matter what the lie, our V-Solewill allow you to make solid contact.

Second, is the ability to precisely fit the gaps in yourset. What you want in your gaps between clubs is 4-5 degrees at most. Withirons becoming stronger, most PW are not 48* so a 52, 56, 60 set up isn'tright. If your PW is 44 or 45 that's almost a 2 club gap! We make all loftsfrom 41-61 so we can fit those gaps exactly. Bending clubs to adjust loftaffects other design characteristics and can have a negative effect.

Third, our shafts options just aren't available with othermanufacturers. If you buy any other wedge on the market you're going to get onechoice in shaft, a super heavy, super stiff steel shaft. That just isn't thebest option for everyone. We not only fit the gaps in your set, but we fit theclub to you. Couple the shaft options, whether it's standard or lightweight steelor standard or lightweight graphite, with our custom built to your specsprocess, you have a tour van experience without double the cost.

One of the other differences is in head design. The wedgecategory has little to no design innovation in the past few decades. Take alook at your bag, the oldest technology is the wedge and the tees, and you canreally say that about tees anymore. When the USGA and R&A came out with thenew groove rules we did what every other manufacturer did; we took the new groovesand put them on the old head designs. The results we found in R&D were notwhat we wanted. So, we started over from scratch and redesigned the club fromthe sole to the grip. We raised the center of gravity and created a progressiveweighting system throughout the set that creates a more penetrating ball flightwhich results in more consistent distance control, we co-engineered the shaftswith KBS and UST/Mamiya to produce a better option to the standard"wedge" shaft. We added a little more mass to the top of the clubhead which produces more distance on mishits.

Obviously we changed just about everything, but it wouldtake multiple pages for me to explain. You can find more information at ourwebsite www.scorgolf.com and take our SCORFit Process which will show you thebenefit of precision gap fitting and what would be the best set up for you.

I hope this was helpful. If you have any other questionsplease feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

JP

Are these available in the UK, or only through the website as this was the first I have heard of them?

We do have a dealer in the UK. We have one at St. Andrews, Applied Golf Technologies. If that's too far, we can certainly help you through our website or by email.

JP

JP, I have a couple questions:

As the scor wedges are a muscleback design, would you see any problem with higher handicap golfers using the 9 iron?

What are your thoughts on face design with regards to spin? I'm seeing companies do 2 things in general, which they claim increases spin. Most companies now use a rougher face texture by way of etching or milling to increase friction. The other thing I'm seeing is an increase number of score lines which they also claim increases spin. Could you provide us with your view on whether these design features do what they claim, in your experience.

thanks
Mike

A bump for JP in case the question was overlooked.

Sweet. They're here. Perkins, one thing I noticed that I couldn't in the pics is that there is indeed milling on the face similar to Vokey's. They are smaller than most wedges but I like them. Super nice clean looking wedge. I can tell I am immediately going to be friends with the 53, the 57 is going to take some time. I seem to be having trouble on little chips with it, I'm skidding right under them. It will all come in time but I'm excited to get them working up to speed!

Thanks for that Custom, have fun with them and let us know how you get on with them.

A bump for JP in case the question was overlooked.

Perkins,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions. I've been on the range at the Texas Senior Open all week and the wireless reception is spotty at best. Actually this is the 4th time I've written this response, but now that I'm back in the office for a little while it should finally post. :)

Great questions. We have had a few customers that had concerns about the transition from a player improvement club (cavity back) to our design. Once they tried the clubs and had a chance to see them in action they didn't have any issues. In fact, some were very happy to say that they were able to play a blade/muscle back club. Short irons are much easier to hit than longer clubs, thus they don't require as much in the PI area as say a 4 or 5 iron.

The changes to the groove geometry gave birth to SCOR4161. We, just like every other manufacturer, are bound by the rules set forth by the USGA and R&A regarding grooves. We did significant testing on the groove designs in our R&D department. What we found was that there are other factors in producing spin rate besides groove geometry. Center of gravity, weight distribution, launch angle just to name a few. By looking at the total design of the club, not just the grooves, it is our opinion that grooves are just part of the equation. By taking the new grooves and putting them on old designs, it didn't produce the desired results. So, we totally redesigned the head and we think we have found the best design and best results. We think face milling and texture sure look great, but there is a rule that states they cannot have a big impact on spin rate and there are size limitations that we all have to abide by.

I hope these answers were helpful.

JP

Great post JP. Perkins just to add to what JP said; it appears that you are a 7.4 handicap, I am a 12 handicap and have no issues hitting any of my 5 SCOR wedges (outside my normal faults!) They strike better than my Mizuno irons and I am overly confident everytime I grab one of them. I dont think you will have any issues hitting them at all.

JP,
Is there anywhere around RI or MA that I could try these Irons out, or are they just for sale online? I couldn't find anything about it on your site.
Thanks

JP,
Is there anywhere around RI or MA that I could try these Irons out, or are they just for sale online? I couldn't find anything about it on your site.
Thanks

Thanks for your interest in SCOR4161 Precision Scoring Clubs.

Will either one of these help? Greg Thorner at Belmont Country Club, or Skip Guss at Golf Rite Performance Center in South Borough, Mass.

Let me know if you need more help.

JP

Thanks for your interest in SCOR4161 Precision Scoring Clubs.

Will either one of these help? Greg Thorner at Belmont Country Club, or Skip Guss at Golf Rite Performance Center in South Borough, Mass.

Let me know if you need more help.

JP
Thank you, both are pretty far from where I live and work though. I'll have to see if I can make it up there, or if any come up closer to RI. From the great reviews of these wedges, I might just go for it online anyway.

Perkins,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions. I've been on the range at the Texas Senior Open all week and the wireless reception is spotty at best. Actually this is the 4th time I've written this response, but now that I'm back in the office for a little while it should finally post. :)

Great questions. We have had a few customers that had concerns about the transition from a player improvement club (cavity back) to our design. Once they tried the clubs and had a chance to see them in action they didn't have any issues. In fact, some were very happy to say that they were able to play a blade/muscle back club. Short irons are much easier to hit than longer clubs, thus they don't require as much in the PI area as say a 4 or 5 iron.

The changes to the groove geometry gave birth to SCOR4161. We, just like every other manufacturer, are bound by the rules set forth by the USGA and R&A regarding grooves. We did significant testing on the groove designs in our R&D department. What we found was that there are other factors in producing spin rate besides groove geometry. Center of gravity, weight distribution, launch angle just to name a few. By looking at the total design of the club, not just the grooves, it is our opinion that grooves are just part of the equation. By taking the new grooves and putting them on old designs, it didn't produce the desired results. So, we totally redesigned the head and we think we have found the best design and best results. We think face milling and texture sure look great, but there is a rule that states they cannot have a big impact on spin rate and there are size limitations that we all have to abide by.

I hope these answers were helpful.

JP

Thanks JP, that's really interesting. I've never considered that other factors in the club head design besides the face (and of course swing technique) can impact spin, but it makes sense.

Great post JP. Perkins just to add to what JP said; it appears that you are a 7.4 handicap, I am a 12 handicap and have no issues hitting any of my 5 SCOR wedges (outside my normal faults!) They strike better than my Mizuno irons and I am overly confident everytime I grab one of them. I dont think you will have any issues hitting them at all.

Thanks Niteowl, I really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks Niteowl, I really appreciate your thoughts.

Perkins - I'll further niteowl's statement as I'm more like a 15 handicap. I was initially reluctant to convert from my GI PW to the SCOR due to the visual difference, but I have had no unusual problem or concerns post-replacement. If anything, the SCOR PW (45 deg in my case) is more consistent and more versatile with no noticible difference in ease of use. I need the forgiveness up the set as the lofts get lower, so I won't be converting to blades anytime soon, but count me among the believers of the concept that on the higher lofted end of the set that most anyone can use a blade.

We do have a dealer in the UK. We have one at St. Andrews, Applied Golf Technologies. If that's too far, we can certainly help you through our website or by email.

JP

Cheers JP,

St Andrews is a few hours away from me up in Scotland but if I happen to be up that way I will try and make time to get there for a look

Perkins - I'll further niteowl's statement as I'm more like a 15 handicap. I was initially reluctant to convert from my GI PW to the SCOR due to the visual difference, but I have had no unusual problem or concerns post-replacement. If anything, the SCOR PW (45 deg in my case) is more consistent and more versatile with no noticible difference in ease of use. I need the forgiveness up the set as the lofts get lower, so I won't be converting to blades anytime soon, but count me among the believers of the concept that on the higher lofted end of the set that most anyone can use a blade.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I'll be going PW to SW at some point with these clubs. My nine iron is 42 so I'm thinking 46, 51, 56.

Mike

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I'll be going PW to SW at some point with these clubs. My nine iron is 42 so I'm thinking 46, 51, 56.

Mike

Great!

In looking at your set make up it brings up a point that Terry, our president, and I were discussing this morning. I noticed you carry 3 woods and 2 hybrids. I assume you hit those clubs anywhere from 180-240 yards. At the short end of the set you only carry 2 wedges. I assume you hit those from about 110 yards and in. Please correct me if I'm off on the yardage, but for arguments sake let's say that's accurate.

How many times a round do you have shots that are over 180 yards? How many times a round do you have shots within 120 yards? If you're like most players you may only have a handful of 180+ shots, but you'll have a bunch of shots inside of 120. The question is, why limit yourself to only 2 clubs with those shots? The other point is about accuracy. For most players, hitting the green from 180 is considered a pretty good shot. On the other hand, hitting it to 40 feet from inside a 100 is a bad shot.

The reason why good and great golfers score so well isn't because they hit all the par 5's in 2 or can hit their drives 300+. It's because they can dial it in with their short irons and put themselves in position to make putts. I don't know about you, but I make a lot more 15 footers than 40 footers.

Great!

In looking at your set make up it brings up a point that Terry, our president, and I were discussing this morning. I noticed you carry 3 woods and 2 hybrids. I assume you hit those clubs anywhere from 180-240 yards. At the short end of the set you only carry 2 wedges. I assume you hit those from about 110 yards and in. Please correct me if I'm off on the yardage, but for arguments sake let's say that's accurate.

How many times a round do you have shots that are over 180 yards? How many times a round do you have shots within 120 yards? If you're like most players you may only have a handful of 180+ shots, but you'll have a bunch of shots inside of 120. The question is, why limit yourself to only 2 clubs with those shots? The other point is about accuracy. For most players, hitting the green from 180 is considered a pretty good shot. On the other hand, hitting it to 40 feet from inside a 100 is a bad shot.

The reason why good and great golfers score so well isn't because they hit all the par 5's in 2 or can hit their drives 300+. It's because they can dial it in with their short irons and put themselves in position to make putts. I don't know about you, but I make a lot more 15 footers than 40 footers.

JP, you're completely right - some great thoughts there. I'm not a very long hitter at all. My driver is 220 to 240, 3 wood 200, 5 wood 185, 3 hybrid 180 and 4 hybrid 170. My 9 iron is 115, PW 105, 3 quarter PW 90, 52 degree 80 and 56 degree 65 yards. The reason I don't carry a 60 degree is that I'm not sure what I'd do with it. Anything less than a half sandwedge is like 50 yards and in, and I usually play a bump and run at that point. Do you have thoughts on what I should be considering?

Mike

JP, you're completely right - some great thoughts there. I'm not a very long hitter at all. My driver is 220 to 240, 3 wood 200, 5 wood 185, 3 hybrid 180 and 4 hybrid 170. My 9 iron is 115, PW 105, 3 quarter PW 90, 52 degree 80 and 56 degree 65 yards. The reason I don't carry a 60 degree is that I'm not sure what I'd do with it. Anything less than a half sandwedge is like 50 yards and in, and I usually play a bump and run at that point. Do you have thoughts on what I should be considering?

Mike

Mike,

Perhaps we should look at the gap between your PW and GW. 25 yards is a pretty big gap. Unless you hit a ton of balls and have incredible touch it's going to be difficult to accurately hit a 3/4 shot. It would be much easier to have an extra club in that range.

Your PW is a 46, I'd say add a 50, 54, 58. That should close that gap to something more like 10-12 yards instead of 25. That make up also gives you a higher loft at the bottom to use on those shots where a bump and run just isn't the best play. A lot of courses aren't designed for that kind of play anymore. You've got to get the ball up in the air and on the putting surface, otherwise you could be looking at a lot of trouble around the greens.

Mike,

Perhaps we should look at the gap between your PW and GW. 25 yards is a pretty big gap. Unless you hit a ton of balls and have incredible touch it's going to be difficult to accurately hit a 3/4 shot. It would be much easier to have an extra club in that range.

Your PW is a 46, I'd say add a 50, 54, 58. That should close that gap to something more like 10-12 yards instead of 25. That make up also gives you a higher loft at the bottom to use on those shots where a bump and run just isn't the best play. A lot of courses aren't designed for that kind of play anymore. You've got to get the ball up in the air and on the putting surface, otherwise you could be looking at a lot of trouble around the greens.

I'm going to think about that JP. I've become very comfortable and effective at pitching and chipping with my 52 degree so going to a 50 or 54 in those situations would be an adjustment. But in the long run your advice is probably the best way to go...

Mike

I am loving these wedges! I'd I had to compare them I would say they are the most similair to the Clceland588s with the DSG. The feel and size is quite similair. One thing that I really like that stands out is the weighting, they aren't just wedges, they are like scoring clubs. When I think of wedges I think of the old style ones used strictly for bunkers, which leads to low weighting that dosent to much for you. The COG seems higher in the Scirs which gives a nice solid feel and strong ball flight. The V-sole is great, I came from a Cleveland with a Dynamic Sole Grind and don notice too much difference... Just some scrambled thoughts , hope they make sense as I'm too lazy to proof read and edit on my iPod... Will get pics up soon. Oh, one final thought, the smaller, players head is not hard to hit, just have to make sure it's square as there is minimal offset.

Check out your local Edwin Watts and see if they have them. You should be able to demo them

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Back