Thermal Fuse Bypass

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
Our dryer just quit, looks like the Thermo Fuse on the vent. We can't find one locally and not real crazy about going to the laundry mat, anyone have an idea how to bypass that sucker for today?

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I doubt they will give me a way to bypass this part because of safety, but worth a try.

I do pretty much any diy around the house but that sounds like something for this guy VVVVV

finger-in-socket-1.jpg

Thermal fuse blowing may be a sign of the heating element being shorted.I wouldn't advise bypassing it.I am a video tech but do some dryer repair also .

Thermal fuse blowing may be a sign of the heating element being shorted.I wouldn't advise bypassing it.I am a video tech but do some dryer repair also .

Oooh, thats not good at all. I'll have to figure out how to check the element before I order this part, thanks for the info.

If you have a multimeter ,you can check from any of the heating element terminals to the metal case,if it is shorted it will read zero ohms and should be replaced with the fuse.If it doesn't you may just have a bad fuse but this is rare.The thermal cutoff will open with overheating due to clogged vent or other such issue,but the thermal fuse usually opens only with a heating element issue.Better to let a qualified service guy look at it.A dryer fire is not a good thing!

If you have a multimeter ,you can check from any of the heating element terminals to the metal case,if it is shorted it will read zero ohms and should be replaced with the fuse.If it doesn't you may just have a bad fuse but this is rare.The thermal cutoff will open with overheating due to clogged vent or other such issue,but the thermal fuse usually opens only with a heating element issue.Better to let a qualified service guy look at it.A dryer fire is not a good thing!

This brings up several thoughts as this is a cheap Kenmore dryer that's now 12 years old.A new element is only $76.50 and the thermal fuse $14.50, so thinking I might just order and replace both if it looks like I can do it. Then againa new dryer just like it at $400 might be worthwhile as the old one is 12 years old.

This brings up several thoughts as this is a cheap Kenmore dryer that's now 12 years old.A new element is only $76.50 and the thermal fuse $14.50, so thinking I might just order and replace both if it looks like I can do it. Then againa new dryer just like it at $400 might be worthwhile as the old one is 12 years old.

We were going to replace ours a few years ago. In fact we told the guy to just fix it to last a little while. It's still going strong and drying clothes like crazy! Replacing the vent didn't hurt either!

We were going to replace ours a few years ago. In fact we told the guy to just fix it to last a little while. It's still going strong and drying clothes like crazy! Replacing the vent didn't hurt either!

They really look pretty simple to keep running and the parts are cheap, but a house fire scares the crap out of me as we run the thing and leave pretty often. I might just replace the silly thing and rock on.

A Dryer just pumps warm air through it.If the air flow is maintained by keeping the lint filter cleaned and its vented properly ,the other bells and whistles are just that.Some of the new ones have different cycles and even steam for keeping out wrinkles but they still do the same thing.You should never leave a dryer running unattended,new or otherwise.

A Dryer just pumps warm air through it.If the air flow is maintained by keeping the lint filter cleaned and its vented properly ,the other bells and whistles are just that.Some of the new ones have different cycles and even steam for keeping out wrinkles but they still do the same thing.You should never leave a dryer running unattended,new or otherwise.
A fairly damp towel works good when you forget about clothes in the dryer for a while. Wet it down and toss it in the dryer for 10 or 15 minutes!

a lot of times the thermostat goes bad and cannot regulate the heat and that is what causes the fuse to blow. I bought a kit off of ebay for less than $10 that had a thermostat and fuse for electric dryers and one for gas. first I just changed the fuse and it blew again within a couple days. After having to buy a second kit I change the thermostat and the fuse(like the directions said) and it works like a champ. you should be able to look your dryer up online and determine the correct part number to purchase. One of the few things that you can purchase from ebay and get a good deal on.

The first point I'd make is fuses are there for a reason. It's not worth the risk.

The second point is be very careful about any problems that concern the heating element. We had a short in ours, causing it not to turn off. It literally bubbled the paint off the top and certainly would have caused a fire had there been anything on top, not to mention serious burns had any of my family touched it before I noticed it.

Thanks for the info guys. I wound up working late and never got one yet, but hope to get on it tomorrow. I'm going to talk to the local repair guy and buy a fuse, thermostat, and element locally if possible, or order if needed.

Nothing like telling on myself, but this was funny and a little embarrassing. A couple calls after work yesterday and I found the needed part to my dryer locally. The thing was crazy cheap at $6.50, so with Liz nipping at my heels to get it installed and our laundry chores back to normal, I pull out the dryer as far as possible before climbing over and behind to dismantle this beast. This is anything but easy as there's little room to work and my legs no longer fold in odd directions like they once did. I somehow manage to get the old part back out and the new one in, all wires reattached and and complete cleanout of old lint and accumulated dust from the inside of the 12 year old Kenmore. At this point I'm totally convinced all's well with the world and go ahead with buttoning everything back up, WITHOUT TRYING THE DRYER FIRST! all done and still on the back side, I order Liz to unleash the Kraken, ....... nothing.

Back into the machine double checking connections, switching said connections around, kicking the machine a few times, pulling the part back out to test on my Ohm meter, I finally give up for dinner and a much needed beer. About an hour later I climb back in to the hell hole and put everything back together to get out of the way and look simi normal when the professionals arrived when I had Liz try things for the 20th time. That was when she notice the door slightly open.

Hahaha, duey! I assume it worked when the door was closed?

Hahaha, duey! I assume it worked when the door was closed?

Yes sir, like a champ, lol. I couldn't see it from the back, but can't believe I never thought of it. Liz still called me her hero!

Congrats! I will call you next time ours needs fixed!

Go to repair clinic.com. They will show you how to trouble shoot your appliance and then how to actually accomplish the repair yourself. You can then order the part from them and try to repair yourself. I have been using then for years and have had absolutely fantastic luck. They also have 1 year return policy or something like that. They also have great prices. I tried to buy a part locally once, but it was outrageous. Went back home and ordered 2 replacement parts from them and 1 kick panel for the dishwasher and it was still cheaper. Check it out. I think you will like it.
I just did this same repair last month. Dryer works great now.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Back