Up and Downs - How do you rate?

Like I said, scrambling for par and getting up and down are different things. Does your app keep and up and down stat?

I'm actually not sure how it does the calculation. I will try and look at a couple rounds and see if it gave me a scramble save on all holes where I one put even if they are bogies or worse.

But that being said, on tour the 57 percent average is almost always scrambling for par so its going to be pretty accurate as they are so rarely trying to get up and down for bogies or worse. I think what I'm saying is people overestimate how often they one putt when they are off the green.

I'll check back in soon to let you know if my app calculates bogies into my scramble number.

This is going to be another one of those things that people are going to think they are higher than they are......golf shot has my recovery average which is the same thing I believe at 27.3%

My app only counts the stat towards par saves (scrambling versus up and down). I guess I could manually calculate it but I'm too lazy for that. My guess is for up and down, regardless of what shot I'm at, I'm in the 35 percent range at the most.

I'm under 20%, it's freakin brutal because I only GIR 16% of the time as well.

In my last 20 rounds tracked...

I get up and down 49.6% of the time.
I scramble for par or better 33.1% of the time.

My short game was the worst part of my game a few months ago. After a lesson from our pro, it's gotten much better, but there are times I'm still not confident about it. If I miss a green, I usually automatically count a chip and two putt, and if I get up and down, it's a bonus. Like I said, it's getting better, but I still have some practicing to do.

I have to make putts because my wedge play stinks!!

What software do you use that tracks up and downs?

I would say somewhere between 15-20%, plenty of room for improvement.

i would say my short game is above average, so depending on where i am around the green, i would say i'm able to get a U&D 65% of the time, ish. if i'm out 80yrds+, probably more along the lines of 35%.

What's the difference?

i would say my short game is above average, so depending on where i am around the green, i would say i'm able to get a U&D 65% of the time, ish. if i'm out 80yrds+, probably more along the lines of 35%.

That's not average!

What software do you use that tracks up and downs?

I use oobgolf.com. I upload the scores through their app.

What's the difference?

Up and down for me is just getting into the hole in two shots or less when I'm off the green, regardless of what the final score is.

Scrambling only applies when the final score of the hole is par or better.

Im probably close to 33%. That would be much better if I could putt.

i was saying my short game as a constant, excluding putting. what is average?

Here is a link to the PGA Tour stats on scrambling: http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/xm.html?130

The leader is 64.38%. That's the best touring pro, not an amateur.

Up and down for me is just getting into the hole in two shots or less when I'm off the green, regardless of what the final score is.

I agree with this. Although for me, I think I can scramble for an up and down!

I'm really curious to see if I can track this. I have an app on my phone, but I just never use it. The more I read this thread, the lower my perception of my conversion percentage goes down.

I just chipped in two holes in a row for bird each time. In a row. Fun stuff ... Hole 5 a 360 yd dogleg par 4 and a 410 yd straight away. Thought id share, since nobody other than my playing partners would care. On hole 8 now after missing a 6 FT put for 3 birds in a row

That's a nice way to bring home a good score. Well done.

I average 38%, but have had days as high 75% and as low as 15%. Some days I can imagine the shot it's going to take to get it close to the hole and just hit it with not doubts. Others, it feels like I have no short game at all. The latter of the two are typical days when nothing feels right and I'm really struggling to get it around the course and keep it under 90. Confidence has so much to do with it. If I can get the first few attempts close then it's usually game on from there.

I average 38%, but have had days as high 75% and as low as 15%. Some days I can imagine the shot it's going to take to get it close to the hole and just hit it with not doubts. Others, it feels like I have no short game at all. The latter of the two are typical days when nothing feels right and I'm really struggling to get it around the course and keep it under 90. Confidence has so much to do with it. If I can get the first few attempts close then it's usually game on from there.

That's really a good point and works the same for me. If I can make a putt or two early on I usually can keep it going. Same if with wedges.

I agree with this. Scrambling and up-and-down are different. Thanks for clarifying dtak84!

I didn't really focus on statistics this year but the next tear I will be using golfshot iften and will pay more attention to them.

I didn't really focus on statistics this year but the next tear I will be using golfshot iften and will pay more attention to them.

The stats in golfshot really help me know where to work on my game. The other day my eyes double-opened widely when I saw my scrambling for a round over 60%. As you can see below its normally less. Good, but half as good. 8 one puts and 2 chip ins will do that!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353275194.280790.jpg

This can be such a misleading stat at times, because it is so dependent on where you are leaving the ball on your approach shots. Its kind of like keeping track of your total number of putts. If you are barely missing greens, then you should have a few easy up-and-down opportunities that skew your stats. Once you improve and start hitting more greens in regulation, then you probably lose some of your easier up-and-down chances and your stats go down.

You also have to identify what you consider a true "up-and-down" opportunity. Do you count two putting from the fringe, or would you rather count that as a GIR? Do you count any time your ball is within 100 yards? That would mean counting Par 4s and Par 5s where your approach shot is less than 100 yards and getting "up-and-down" would give you a birdie.

For my personal stats, I don't count fringe putting, but I also don't count approach shots from inside 100 yards. Using that basis, I have always been told that a weekend golfer should strive for a 40% conversion rate, but should be happy making 33%. I have kept my stats all year, and I was a surprised to find myself right at 50% at the start of the year -- however, if you added in par 5s where my third shot was from within 100 yards then my percentage would drop to around 40%.

But, my conversion rate has been dropping because I have been hitting more GIRs. The real strength of my short game is chip shots from within 5 or 10 yards of the green, and I'm just not getting as many of those as I used to. I have only faced 1 or 2 of those per round for the last few weeks, where I used to get 4 or 5.

Back