The "Insert Name" Cup

OUZO Power

@K_Kyriopoulos
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of coming up with a family named cup tournament. ( I have 3 sons and 1 son due any day/minute)

Sport? Golf.

3 legged races and potato sack races don't do it for me. Soccer would be preferred but we are short a few players. Maybe when I have 20 grand kids we can do it. Car racing? Too expensive and dangerous.

So it's golf. I'm thinking of establishing a family annual tournament for me and the boys. And down the road the grand kids till it becomes one day an invitational and then brought onto the PGA tour.

The way I see it if I start it now I get the upper edge. I know, it's like sandbagging. Hell I think I’m going to be only me taking part the first 2 years. lol. Christo (4) is swinging a club really well but far from going on a 72 par course). I can see me being the winner of the next 10 tournaments till the oldest turns around 13-14 when he has developed some swing strength and mine will be descending and I'll start looking for seniors shafted clubs. After that I see a power struggle from years 15-20. After that I wouldn't win. It would be a 5 way tossup between the boys and me. After that I'll be the old guy in the cart asking for mulligans.

By the time I'm done none of them wouldn't have amounted my +10 wins and the grand kids would be nipping at their heels to take their place on the cup engraving. lol I'll be a legend and stories will be told of my game at the family BBQ, um... I mean after tourney banquet.

And if they follow true Greek tradition and name their firstborn sons after me and don’t want to get disowned, then my name will make a comeback.

Anyone else’s family do something like this annually? Is it a success? Or is it the perfect blueprint for a family vendeta?

Last edited:
i think i would if more of my family played.
as of now it's just me, my dad, my grandma (who never plays anymore, though she is 71 yrs old and shoots mid-80's constantly) and a good family friend (who is 92, usually breaks 100. side note: he's the coooooooolest guy you'd ever meet).
if you have enough people, which it seems like you do, than i don't see it being an issue. as for the 4 yr old, just let him tee off halfway down the hole, or give him a certain stroke discount.

We do a family cup. Its called the Morgan Cup and its for our online family though.

As to doing one with my actual family? Not sure. Only one side of mine and GG's family play golf though. Good luck with it. Love to hear the details and how it goes.

I think u have it in your screen name, The OUZO Cup. The trophy could maybe be a plaque with the coat of arms that describes your family. Ouzo, strong drink, strong family! Good luck with it.

as for the 4 yr old, just let him tee off halfway down the hole, or give him a certain stroke discount.
Why didn't I think of that? He's now golfing with me next year. Only problem will be trying to convince his A Type personality and Huge Ego that he can't hit from the tips.

Why didn't I think of that? He's now golfing with me next year. Only problem will be trying to convince his A Type personality and Huge Ego that he can't hit from the tips.

than let him, and give him a 4 or 5 stroke discount per hole (assuming he's not breaking 100 yet, lol)

I think u have it in your screen name, The OUZO Cup. The trophy could maybe be a plaque with the coat of arms that describes your family. Ouzo, strong drink, strong family! Good luck with it.
bbwahaha another great idea.

Would love something like this in my family, but we are low on golfers.

Would love something like this in my family, but we are low on golfers.

Same here, it sounds like a great idea, but even if I combined the in laws and my own family we wouldn't have enough!!!

I'd probably use the last name or a family nickname if one exists.

Same here, it sounds like a great idea, but even if I combined the in laws and my own family we wouldn't have enough!!!

I'd probably use the last name or a family nickname if one exists.

Same here, Icey. Though, a few of my family members have started up since having to hear about me talking golf always.

Great idea! My family did this for many years on the day after Thanksgiving. It would vary between 8 and 12 people and would be between two sets of cousins, uncles, brothers, etc. The eldest would form the teams and he winners would claim bragging and trash talking priveleges for the year becausse they won the annual Turkey Cup.

Same here, Icey. Though, a few of my family members have started up since having to hear about me talking golf always.

I'm hoping that'll be the case for me as well. The more excuses to golf with family the better!!!

My extended family does this. It's a 4-person scramble and we call it the "(last name) Classic". We usually have 7-9 four person teams.

It's played on a Saturday and the Friday before, there is typically a "practice round" played. The low gross score from Friday gets a traveling trophy and the team captain from the Saturday tournament gets the larger traveling trophy. The names from the winning team are engraved in the trophy each year and it makes for a great time.

Typically we do it in the fall for a better green fee rate and less busy summer scheduling. Also, we try to do it at a location where we can stay at a hotel and hang out together there after the round.

My extended family does this. It's a 4-person scramble and we call it the "(last name) Classic". We usually have 7-9 four person teams.

It's played on a Saturday and the Friday before, there is typically a "practice round" played. The low gross score from Friday gets a traveling trophy and the team captain from the Saturday tournament gets the larger traveling trophy. The names from the winning team are engraved in the trophy each year and it makes for a great time.

Typically we do it in the fall for a better green fee rate and less busy summer scheduling. Also, we try to do it at a location where we can stay at a hotel and hang out together there after the round.

Thats fantastic. Thats what I want to start.

Now that I think of it I have 72 1st cousins. So we could go full out. But then story's of my domination wont be told for years to come. lol

72 cousins! Wow!

I'd guess one player on each team golfs exactly one time per year. We keep them involved by requiring one drive per person for the day.

We also have a "tree/water/sand/lost ball tax" ($0.50 per) which funds a small prize that each person gets - somewhat personalized - mostly gag gifts. Some of these "gifts" make annual appearances.

Back