Blue Arc

3 Iron...and watch this
Reaction score
Handicap
guitarded
I'm on this par 4 at the local muni. There's a pond right next to the tee box and it cuts across the front of the box about 20 yards out. It has these ugly power wires about 30 feet in the air that run across it. Right in the ball flight path. I hit my shot and it hits the wires and falls in the hazard. I re tee and hit a pretty good shot that hits the cart path and takes a mean bounce onto the fairway and toward the green. Anyway, when I hole out I always proclaim my score. I don't know why. I just do. Counting the hazard I shot +3. When I said this a guy that I got paired with said...you got +2. He said that the shot in wires got free relief. Is that right? I have played this hole many times and I never hit the wires before.

My home course has interstate power lines that cross the course, local rules state that if you hit the wires or the poles you can re-tee under no penalty or play the ball were it lies. These lines cross two water hardazs if the ball hits the lines and falls in the water re-tee and hit again without penalty.

My home course has a set of power lines that run across one fairway. The way my course requires this situation to be played is that if you hit the wires you must replay your ball without penalty. In other words, if your first shot had turned out to be in a good spot you could not take the shot but instead would have to hit again.

You got a whole sky full of nothin', and you go and whack some little wires?!?!?!

Seriously, I'd like to know what the ruling is on this too, I've faced something similar (there's a high tension tower in the middle of one fairway on a course I play, I've hit it a few times)

It is an odd one. Because technically it is a man made object that is an obstruction.

We have the same conditions on my home course's second hole. Local rule is if the ball hits the wires, and becomes an unplayable lie, you can re-tee, and hit again with out penalty. Or, if the ball makes it to the fairway after hitting the wires, but crossing the water hazard, you can play that ball as it lies. I think I have hit those wires 3 times in 15 years. :comp:

Added note;
All that space between the wires, and you still hit the wires. Perfectly understandable. It's like the old saying that trees are 90% air, but then again so is a screen door.

You got a whole sky full of nothin', and you go and whack some little wires?!?!?!

You would have to see what I can do with a club and and a ball to believe it.:egyptian::laughing:

It is an odd one. Because technically it is a man made object that is an obstruction.

technically yes, but same the other two posters commented I play a course where power lines cross one hole and it is written on the scorecard if you strike the power lines with your shot you replay the shot with no penalty.

I just checked an old score card and there's nothing on there about it. Hmmmm? You get free relief from other utility obstructions like a sprinkler main or a green electrical box...right?

I just checked an old score card and there's nothing on there about it. Hmmmm? You get free relief from other utility obstructions like a sprinkler main or a green electrical box...right?

We need Fourputt to come in with his expertise on that.

As far the power lines are concerned, halk stated his is a local rule as well as it is at my course here. It is probably something you would ask the club pro at the course you played about.

thanks guys. I'm going to do just that. I'm going to ask them. It seems fair that It should be a free shot.

Here is an article I found at About.com

Question: My Ball Struck Overhead Power Lines - Do I Get to Replay the Shot?
Here's the sitation: You're playing a golf course where large electrical towers or utility poles are posted, and electric wires are strung across one or more fairways. You tee the ball up, take a whack, and your beautiful shot flies straight into the overhead cables, deflecting away. Do you get to replay the stroke without penalty, or is it rub of the green and play the ball as it lies?

Answer: This situation falls broadly under Rule 33-8a; it's specifically addressed in Decision 33-8/13.
Rule 33-8a states:

"The Committee may establish Local Rules for local abnormal conditions if they are consistent with the policy set forth in Appendix I." (Appendix I is the appendix that covers Local Rules.)

So, broadly speaking, your local course or club can enact rules specific to conditions at your course, as long as they do so in accordance with the guidelines set forth in Appendix I (covering Local Rules) to the Rules of Golf.

Luckily, Decision 33-8/13 makes the proper course of action when your ball hits overhead cables more clear. That decision states:

"Q. An overhead power line is so situated that a perfectly played shot can be deflected. Would it be proper for the Committee to make a Local Rule allowing a player whose ball is deflected by this power line to replay the stroke, without penalty, if he wishes?

"A. No. However, a Local Rule requiring a player to replay the stroke would be acceptable."

Decision 33-8/13 goes on to suggest how such a local rule should read (see Rules of Golf and Decisions on the Rules of Golf on usga.com).

Note carefully the wording of the quoted passage above: "... to replay the stroke, without penalty, if he wishes?" "No. However, a Local Rule requiring ..."

The key to this Local Rule is that, if it is in effect, it requires the golfer to replay the stroke without penalty. There is no golfer's option. If your ball strikes a power line, and the Local Rule suggested under Decision 33-8/13 is in effect, you must replay the stroke without penalty (even if your shot deflected into the perfect spot).

Likewise, if such a local rule is not in effect, you may not replay the stroke (unless you are willing to declare the ball unplayable and take the resulting penalty). You must play the ball as it lies.

So the key, obviously, is finding whether a Local Rule covering power lines is in effect at a course where overhead cables cross the line of play. Check with the pro shop to find out.

To summarize: If your ball hits a power line or overhead cable, and the Local Rule covered in Decision 33-8/13 is in effect, you must cancel the stroke and replay it without penalty, as close as possible to the spot of the original stroke. If such a local rule is not in effect, you must play the ball as it lies.

been there......:banana:

My course has power lines that run on 11, 13, 14 and 16. If you hit the wires you have 2 choices:

1. re-tee (without penalty)
or
2. play it where it landed

Nice Craig. Harry'd again!

Well now that was excellent Craig Mac. thanks!

4-Putt - Does a Local Rule have to be published and available to be considered as a rule?

I'm on this par 4 at the local muni. There's a pond right next to the tee box and it cuts across the front of the box about 20 yards out. It has these ugly power wires about 30 feet in the air that run across it. Right in the ball flight path. I hit my shot and it hits the wires and falls in the hazard. I re tee and hit a pretty good shot that hits the cart path and takes a mean bounce onto the fairway and toward the green. Anyway, when I hole out I always proclaim my score. I don't know why. I just do. Counting the hazard I shot +3. When I said this a guy that I got paired with said...you got +2. He said that the shot in wires got free relief. Is that right? I have played this hole many times and I never hit the wires before.

Any course I've ever known with power lines in play has the local rule in effect. If so, it is mandatory that you replay the stroke with no penalty. You do not have the option of taking the original ball. The moment it hits the power line it is out of play.

I wasn't sure of the exact wording on the scorecard so I fished one out to see.

card1.jpg

Any course I've ever known with power lines in play has the local rule in effect. If so, it is mandatory that you replay the stroke with no penalty. You do not have the option of taking the original ball. The moment it hits the power line it is out of play.

Thanks Four! makes sense no option. Usga says no unless the course says yes but...no choice. You either do or you don't. I find that a perfect rule. Ha!

I wasn't sure of the exact wording on the scorecard so I fished one out to see.

card1.jpg

Must

For the guys that take what ever is best... rules is rules! Ha!

Blue Arc - Don't forget it's a Local Rule - you still need to see if it's in effect at your course.

Blue Arc - Don't forget it's a Local Rule - you still need to see if it's in effect at your course.

Yup! I'm almost sure it is. I'll check in the pro shop next time I'm there.

looks like my playing partners will be educated on Saturday! :clapp:

Back