Grandpa Graduates?

BradMorris64

Turf Fears Me
Reaction score
Just curious as to whether any of you went back an got your degree in your 40's? I'll be 49 next year and after toiling in a machine shop for the last 5 years with no opportunity for growth I think it's time to make a change. I am considering going back to school next year to begin a journey towards a 4 year degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology. 2 years at community college with full transfer to Bradley University. This is a field that fills the technological gap between engineering and production with classes covering everything from welding and machining to 3D solid modeling to physics, including static strengths and fluid dynamics. This may take me 6 1/2 years to complete as I'm going to have to work while doing it, but hopefully it will pay off with a more challenging and lucrative position for the last 10-15 years I'm in the work force. The only bummer is that I won't be attending full time so I can't try out for the golf team. :) Oh, and the cost. Yikes!

Tough deal there not easy to pull off at our ages. I went back for a few semester's and droped out second yr. alot to deal with work,fam,school golf not easy you have to be determened and have a plan. good luck

I'm 53 and I started taking a few classes at the loacal community college to help my career along. It's tough getting used to going to school again but I figure it will be worth it in the long run

You can do anything you set your mind to. It won't be easy and you'll have to keep your end goals in mind. Good luck if you go after it

I went back to school at 41 and got some IT certs and it wasn't "too" bad then!

I also had to study for my Life Health in 2010 and my Property/Casualty last month.

Colonel Sanders was 65 years old when he started KFC. You are never too old to start a new adventure!

I've seen quite a few older folks in my graduate classes.

I started college when I was 28 with a wife, 2 kids and a small business. It was tough but it really was fun to learn new things as I was more mature and could really see how what I was learning could be applied in real life. I got a degree in business and computer science aka systems admin. Except for the homework you will really enjoy it! You'll never regret it that's for sure. Good Luck BradMorris64!

Go for it, it is possible to do good time management is gonna be key along with family support! Best of luck to you!

Absolutely go for it. If you don't, in 6 1/2 yrs. you'll be exactly where you are today.

Last edited:
I appreciate all of your comments, I'm going to sign up for 3 classes for the spring semester just to get my feet wet. Unfortunately I gotta take a trig/algebra/geometry refresher that has no credits. But I guess I need to get the ball rolling.

Absolutely go for it. If you don't, in 6 1/2 yrs. you'll be exactly where you are today.

Interesting that that is almost word for word what my brother said to me that got me thinking about it.

I appreciate all of your comments, I'm going to sign up for 3 classes for the spring semester just to get my feet wet. Unfortunately I gotta take a trig/algebra/geometry refresher that has no credits. But I guess I need to get the ball rolling.

Interesting that that is almost word for word what my brother said to me that got me thinking about it.

Your brother is a very, very wise man! LOL:alien:

it's a lot of work, and can be extremely stressful and expensive, but if you ask me, it's worth it in the end.

Good for you, a lot of work but worth it in the end. Do you work with cat here where you can get CTAP?

Congrats on your decision BM64, good luck and study hard. It will pay off.

My granddad was 66 years old when he got his high school degree. He was long retired and had made a nice living without it but it was something he wanted.

Good for you, a lot of work but worth it in the end. Do you work with cat here where you can get CTAP?

No, I work for a small CAT supplier who really has no positions available beyond production right now. They have let me work in inspection and I get to do machine setups every so often, but all they really need are guys to push buttons and pull parts. While I was learning the machines it was cool (this was all new to me 5 years ago), but now it's reached a high level of tedium with no opportunities for growth and that is just not a position I can stand to be in. I should ask them if they would be willing to help me with schooling, but they know that means I will probably be leaving the company so they may not be real high on it.

My granddad was 66 years old when he got his high school degree. He was long retired and had made a nice living without it but it was something he wanted.

Cool. My mom started college at 47 and though it took her 8 years to do it she graduated suma cumlaude with a bachelors in social sciences.

Just curious as to whether any of you went back an got your degree in your 40's? I'll be 49 next year and after toiling in a machine shop for the last 5 years with no opportunity for growth I think it's time to make a change. I am considering going back to school next year to begin a journey towards a 4 year degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology. 2 years at community college with full transfer to Bradley University. This is a field that fills the technological gap between engineering and production with classes covering everything from welding and machining to 3D solid modeling to physics, including static strengths and fluid dynamics. This may take me 6 1/2 years to complete as I'm going to have to work while doing it, but hopefully it will pay off with a more challenging and lucrative position for the last 10-15 years I'm in the work force. The only bummer is that I won't be attending full time so I can't try out for the golf team. :) Oh, and the cost. Yikes!

My dad went back to school to finish his bachelors and get his masters in education. I was already well into high school, my brother near graduation and my sister still in elementary ... and a mortgage, two car payments, etc. It was tough, but he finished his working life teaching elementary and never regretting his decision.

Back