do you have a problem deciding which 14 clubs to play with

Sometimes. I switch between my 51* wedge and a 5 wood and I alternate between a 4 iron and a 4 hybrid depending on the course.

I go with whatever clubs I'm better with and use the most. There isn't much point in having a lot of distance clubs in my bag at this point because I stink with anything longer than a 4I off the deck. So my 5W is really just in my bag for decoration. Now that I'm getting a set of 5 wedges (thanks to SCOR and the THP holiday contest), the 5W will come out and I'll just have driver, 3W and 4I at the top of my bag. It will leave a gap but nothing I can't work around.

I had to drop an iron when I went to a 4 wedge set up, but think I'm going back to 3 wedges with the Morgan Cup.

I carry 13. Less weight.

I switch a few clubs a lot, depending on what course it is, conditions and whether I'm angry or happy with the club.

I keep the clubs in my bag that are in my signature. The Only change I make occasionally is to swap out the Vokey 56 and 60 wedges for Cleveland CG15s with more bounce.. The only "gap" I may have is a little between the 5 hybrid and 7 wood. I can just choke down a little on the 7w though.

:drinks:

No problems, 3 wood, 3 hybrid, 4i-lob wedge. I have more shots a round from 125 yards and in than I do from 180 to 220. Makes more sense to carry a 46* PW, 50*UW, 54* SW and 58*LW to help with the shots from 125 and in.

I change my set up pretty frequently. Besides deciding on which one of the three drivers, the next decision is wedges. I like the 64 for certain yardages and greenside bunkers. The sixty for 75-93 yardages and out of the rough, the fifty-four for 100-110, and the 50 for yardages 115-125. problem is I have to leave one of them out most of the time. So I carry a fifty-two and leave out the 54 and 50. The wedge options are weighed with the long club options to get to the fourteen number. Here are some examples: I can leave out the four iron and carry the three iron and three wood. Or carry the 4I and leave out the 3I replacing it with five W and leave out the three W. I try to comfortably cover distances up to about 210-220 and have maybe one fairway wood for when more distance is desired and direction is less of a problem. When the course is playing really short, I will have a driver, irons, and wedges with no fairway woods.

Yesterday, driver was Ping I20, 4-pw in irons, 3 and 5 wood, 3 wedges and Odyssey putter. Last week, TM R9 driver, 3-pw irons, 3 wood, 3 wedges, TM putter.

About the only thing that doesn't change for me is the R11 five through PW. And that is about to change with the arrival of the Scor wedges. The Scor system may stabilize my set a lot.

As you can see in my signature I've listed 15 clubs. I use my 5 wood and 3 iron for position shots, so the course and wind dictate which one I'll game on a given day. Getting a cavity back 3 iron gave me a great course management option because it's so easy to hit long and low with a little draw.

once the AMP irons come, i will be keeping the same lineup in the bag...D, 3W, 3h, 4i-GW, 54, 58, putter.

Nope. I dont ever put too much emphasis on filling the full 14. I only play 11 now, and it works pretty good for me at the moment.

I carry 13. Less weight.
I never get this thinking. If you don't carry 14 clubs, why don't you carry a left handed 7 iron (or similar)? Do you never end up on the wrong side of something where swinging left handed is a smart play?

I never practice it, but I have done it with an upside down wedge and had some decent recovery shots with it. But a left handed club would be easier. Especially if you have an extra spot in the bag.

...why don't you carry a left handed 7 iron (or similar)? Do you never end up on the wrong side of something where swinging left handed is a smart play?

I have definitely considered this. Now that I have a net to hit into this winter, I may pick up used LH club from Salvation Army store for $1 just to practice with. Might make an interesting video as I work on it. :)

I currently bag a Driver, 5w, 21* hybrid,4-PW,AW,SW,LW. I really feel like I need all my wedges. There are times I wished I carried 3w, but my gaps are perfect and I'm good with that.

I will switch back and forth with longer clubs but almost always keep the scoring part of my bag the same so I have consistency with it.

well, I cant say I'm suprized by sooo many differences in everyones decision making but I am finding it interesting of just how much we varry in our thoughts and choices. Though it does seem most are or have sacrificed more for the sake of wedges than anything else and that would make sense to me. After all thats where the money is and also why i want a lob myself. Perhaps 58* or 60* or something like that.

I've played with the same 14 clubs since early July. The same 13 clubs other than putter since early June.

there is also another issue that has made such decisions even a bit harder for anyone who gets new clubs after many years with an old set. And that is the lower lofts of newer sets. Of course there is now a wider gap between Pw and inwards which creates a space for yet another wedge.

When getting new set, Where as before the person who carried two wedges may now feel they probably need three and those who use to carry three perhaps now feel need for a forth.

Though, on the other hand it does the opposite on the other side of the spectrum and kind of does make it easier to give up that long 3 iron which would now be even longer and probably harder to hit than before. But thats where the hybrids come into play. It just goes on and on and on.

For me. I just want to be sure I make the right choices with new set as finances do not allow for mistakes. I probably will be using what I buy for another 10yrs just as my existing set. So i am going to careful as possible with my decisions.

I've always had the mindset that I'd rather have more scoring clubs than long-yardage clubs. I carry a driver, 3W, 2H, 4-W, GW, SW, LW, putter. I figure that from 200+ yards I'll just take my chances with the 2H. Chances are I'm not going to hit a perfect shot even if I had the perfect club so I'd rather give myself more options inside of 125.

I only have 14 clubs. So the decision is made for me. Even if I could, I wouldn't swap my current setup. I am very comfortable with all my clubs. I might change up in wedges when I find out what really suits me but it will be a straight up swap. Once you are out of the bag there is no way back in.

I might change up in wedges when I find out what really suits me but it will be a straight up swap. Once you are out of the bag there is no way back in.[/QUOTE]

that sounds like its personal. like as if you would be mad at the club itself or something. lol

My setup is pretty straight forward so there isn't an issue deciding what to play. I use a 4w instead of both 3w & 5w and could not be happier with that arrangement. I'm eliminating my 4i because my 20.5* hybrid can easily be choked down to play the same distance. I've made the decision to focus on having tighter gaping on the short part of my bag and make grip/setup adjustments to even out the top part.

I used to have 14 in my bag. But I swapped out my 3w and 5w for 3h and a 5h, which i hit so much better, so that was obvious. I long ago ditched a 7w, which made room for my 56*. Then when I realized I had no use for my 3i or 4i (which I had trouble hitting both clubs anyways) I took those out, and I'm left with 12. And those 12 get my around a course just fine. I might try adding a new wedge maybe a 60* just to toss the ball around a different way closer to the green, but other than that I'm sticking with my 12.

I find most courses I can drive the ball to within a 8i or 9i into the green, and a long par 5 is a hybrid second shot, or a simple 5i into wedge territory. I just can't find a use for a 13th or 14th club.

I was having doubts about dropping the 5 wood for a 4 iron or a hybrid. Just go with what I am confty with

For me, 12 out of 14 clubs are pretty easy decisions. I go back and forth between my 5 iron and 5 hybrid. I've also played around between a 3 wood and 1 or 2 hybrid. I usually make my decisions based on how I'm hitting the ball at the range. If I'm crushing my hybrids I'll go that route. If I'm hitting my irons well I'll put the 5 iron in.

I just recently switched up my bag, now play driver, 3w, 4h, 5-AW and a 58 degree. I carry 13 clubs and really can't find a solid hole where I would need another one. I saw somewhere online a company makes a 73 degree now; that would be used for absolutely nothing but I still want one haha

Back