Ping Anser Driver Review - Forum Testing

Whats your final verdict on the Anser? It is on my ponder list, next to the G25 and fit Xtreme...

It didn't quite work out for me as planned but the other testers had much much better success with it. Might be a case of blaming it on the Indian and not The arrow

I am digging the stock shafts in the new drivers( g20&I20). I'm getting better results than many custom offerings.

That's saying something impressive too dd as the G20 head was quite long in its own right.

I'd like to hit this again at some point, I simply wish the adapters were readily available, major turn off for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree on the adapters, I love being able to swap shafts and test them alongside at the range. Other OEMs have been much more flexible about getting their adapters out there to allow for easier side by side testing.

I found the G20 to be more forgiving, but the Anser longer on well struck shots.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm seriously considering both. I have hit the G20 and love the results. I was just curious if the Anser is worth the difference in price.

I found the G20 to be more forgiving, but the Anser longer on well struck shots.

I find this interesting. I read in another thread that the Anser was supposed to be a K15 replacement. If the G line is more forgiving, then that wouldn't seem to be the case.

Has Ping killed the K driver line completely? If so, that's sad because the K15 was extremely forgiving.

I find this interesting. I read in another thread that the Anser was supposed to be a K15 replacement. If the G line is more forgiving, then that wouldn't seem to be the case.

Has Ping killed the K driver line completely? If so, that's sad because the K15 was extremely forgiving.

I never hit the k15 so i cant compare it to the Anser, sorry.

The two lines are aimed at different people, I wouldn't consider them that at all personally. I always thought the K line kind of blended too close to the G line anyways.

The two lines are aimed at different people, I wouldn't consider them that at all personally. I always thought the K line kind of blended too close to the G line anyways.

This. The K15 was just a draw bias G20. The differences were too small to even get in to really.

Cannot wait to give the anser a demo...will be a nice upgrade from my G15 I think. Anyone know if there are demo days coming up in the SC region?

I bet if you are in MB this weekend, there would be one to hit

Okay, so the K has blended with the G and is aimed at those needing more forgiveness than the Anser. Got it. Thanks!

Also the G20 and K15 were higher launching and higher spinning than the Anser for those that need improved launch conditions.

Tried this driver today head to head with my Titleist 910D2, whilst i hit it fairly straight with a nice ball flight I just couldnt outdrive my titleist driver. I have to say I was a little gutted as I really like the look af this driver. We tried a few shafts as well but just couldnt find the extra in the club to make it worth getting.

Thanks to everyone who provided the great insight on the Anser. I demo'ed one today and was surprised at how low the spin was - almost 1500 rpms lower than the other heads I tried. If I go this direction, I will definitely need to go up in loft.

Shout out to the Anser today. 6/7 fairways hit and the distance I always expect from my girl was there as well.

9th hole is a 318 downhill and down wind par 4. I really like to get after the ball on this hole as I can sometimes leave myself on the fringe or better if I lay into it. Well today I came out of my shot a bit from over swinging and caught the ball of the very edge of the toe... Almost a wiff. Still flew straight and still only had about 38 to the middle. Now that's playing nice, Anser.

Hit the 8.5 with Ahina 70g shaft today and was very impressed. Most swings were mid flight rockets with good amount of roll. It felt like I didn't hit the ball and that's a good thing.

This driver is a monster... It seems a lot of the testers in this thread,were a little so-so on it, so I wasnt super pumped to hit it.... I hit this last week against the RFE, G25, both Coverts, and the New Cleveland. I was using all stock offerings in X flex and 9.5 loft. The anser was longest by an average of 5-10 yards. The next closest was the RFE and covert tour, which were roughly the same. Dispersion was best with anser and RFE. I ended up ordering a 9.5 with Ahina 70x. This thing is a super forgiving beast.

That is awesome, thanks for letting us know your results. It was just too low spin for my game, just not enough carry. The low balls did run forever on firm fairways tho.

This driver is a monster... It seems a lot of the testers in this thread,were a little so-so on it, so I wasnt super pumped to hit it.... I hit this last week against the RFE, G25, both Coverts, and the New Cleveland. I was using all stock offerings in X flex and 9.5 loft. The anser was longest by an average of 5-10 yards. The next closest was the RFE and covert tour, which were roughly the same. Dispersion was best with anser and RFE. I ended up ordering a 9.5 with Ahina 70x. This thing is a super forgiving beast.

That's awesome to hear, sounds like you have found a winner

Still absolutely loving this driver. Longest I have hit and I have tried a bunch! Forgiving, long and feel/sound is perfect. I have an axivcore red 69 in mine.

Guys, give me some feedback with the Anser. I want to get my launch angle up (11-13*) and keep the spin rate around 2500.

I'm really leaning toward getting this driver but I'm not sure on the head/shaft combo. I'm currently playing the i20 with a Project X 6.5 9.5* head. After spending some time with the Anser (indoor LM) I'm kind-of torn between two set-ups that were giving comparable numbers.

My numbers with my current i20 were:

CHS-108mph
BS-151
LA-10*
SR-2950rpm
CD-268yds
TD-282yds

Ping Anser w/'Ahina stiff shaft 10.5* head (set to minus position 10*)

CHS-109mph
BS-157
LA-11*
SR-2375rpm
CD-274yds
TD-291yds

Ping Anser w/ TFC800D stiff 9.5* head (set to neutral position)

CHS-108mph
BS-155
LA-12.5*
SR-2850rpm
CD-279yds
TD-289yds

These were the averages of 5 shots with each club (9 swings, two highest and two lowest thrown out). Does anyone have any first hand experience with the 10.5* head and 'Ahina shaft? Because I like the spin and launch numbers but I don't have any experience with that shaft and I've NEVER hit a head above 9.5*...

I do intend to wait until the Callaway XHot Pro comes out before making a final decision but I thought I'd ask for some feedback prior to making a selection.

Guys, give me some feedback with the Anser. I want to get my launch angle up (11-13*) and keep the spin rate around 2500.

I'm really leaning toward getting this driver but I'm not sure on the head/shaft combo. I'm currently playing the i20 with a Project X 6.5 9.5* head. After spending some time with the Anser (indoor LM) I'm kind-of torn between two set-ups that were giving comparable numbers.

CHS-108mph
BS-151
LA-10*
SR-2950rpm
CD-268yds
TD-282yds

CHS-109mph
BS-157
LA-11*
SR-2375rpm
CD-274yds
TD-291yds

CHS-108mph
BS-155
LA-12.5*
SR-2850rpm
CD-279yds
TD-289yds

These were the averages of 5 shots with each club (9 swings, two highest and two lowest thrown out). Does anyone have any first hand experience with the 10.5* head and 'Ahina shaft? Because I like the spin and launch numbers but I don't have any experience with that shaft and I've NEVER hit a head above 9.5*...

I do intend to wait until the Callaway XHot Pro comes out before making a final decision but I thought I'd ask for some feedback prior to making a selection.

I hit the 10.5 several times with the TFC, but not the Ahina. Ahina was just too low launching for me in this very low spin head. I say go with the numbers and dont out think it. The #s say the 10.5 and Ahina are the best fit for you.

Did you use regular range balls for the fitting? Or your own balls you normally play with? I would try to get numbers between the 2 with your regular gamer ball just to make sure they are similar.

CHS-108mph
BS-151
LA-10*
SR-2950rpm
CD-268yds
TD-282yds

CHS-109mph
BS-157
LA-11*
SR-2375rpm
CD-274yds
TD-291yds

CHS-108mph
BS-155
LA-12.5*
SR-2850rpm
CD-279yds
TD-289yds

I tested the Ahina Shaft with a 9.5* head, that for part of the year I adjusted to 10*.

This combo when I had my fitting was certainly offering the lowest spin rates, and as time would tell was really way too low at less than 1600 rpm of total spin with a launch angle of 15.5*. It felt on too many occasions that I was hitting "knuckleballs" and my carry distance outside of the launch monitor was 5-7 yards less. The big difference I saw was the lack of roll out on drives, the launch monitor was giving me nearly 30 yards of roll out, whereas on the course I was getting 5 if I was lucky since the ball was just falling out of the air.

You have solid numbers with both of those shafts, but it sounds like you arent necessarily set on the club quite yet. I would try to hit as many drivers/combos as you can and see what produces the best output for you. You have nice base line to work with already.

I tested the Ahina Shaft with a 9.5* head, that for part of the year I adjusted to 10*.

This combo when I had my fitting was certainly offering the lowest spin rates, and as time would tell was really way too low at less than 1600 rpm of total spin with a launch angle of 15.5*. It felt on too many occasions that I was hitting "knuckleballs" and my carry distance outside of the launch monitor was 5-7 yards less. The big difference I saw was the lack of roll out on drives, the launch monitor was giving me nearly 30 yards of roll out, whereas on the course I was getting 5 if I was lucky since the ball was just falling out of the air.

You have solid numbers with both of those shafts, but it sounds like you arent necessarily set on the club quite yet. I would try to hit as many drivers/combos as you can and see what produces the best output for you. You have nice base line to work with already.

WOW, 1600 is very low spin (I don't want it to go that low). What was/is your swing-speed if you don't mind me asking?

I wonder why you were seeing such a high roll-out on the LM and only 5-7yrds outside? Was it damp/wet or something?

I bought the Callaway X Hot Pro 4-wood and I really like it, so I wanted to give the PRO driver a shot. Although, it will have to really impress me to keep me from buying the Anser...

I hit the 10.5 several times with the TFC, but not the Ahina. Ahina was just too low launching for me in this very low spin head. I say go with the numbers and dont out think it. The #s say the 10.5 and Ahina are the best fit for you.

Did you use regular range balls for the fitting? Or your own balls you normally play with? I would try to get numbers between the 2 with your regular gamer ball just to make sure they are similar.

If you don't mind me asking, what was/is your swing-speed (as well)? I only ask because from my previous experiences with Diamana shafts you have to have a higher swing speed to make it talk...

I used a new pack of Srixon they had. I think they were Q-Stars, so my numbers coud improve with ProV1s or something. I did like the 'Ahina, I've just never played it before. I've had Diamana Whiteboards in the past in Taylormade drivers and got along pretty well with them but I had X shafts in those. I was asking for experience I guess mainly...

WOW, 1600 is very low spin (I don't want it to go that low). What was/is your swing-speed if you don't mind me asking?

I wonder why you were seeing such a high roll-out on the LM and only 5-7yrds outside? Was it damp/wet or something?

I bought the Callaway X Hot Pro 4-wood and I really like it, so I wanted to give the PRO driver a shot. Although, it will have to really impress me to keep me from buying the Anser...

Swing speed for that was 97 on average. I cant blame it on course conditions as I tested the club in late summer and early fall when the courses were in great shape. Dont get me wrong, that wasnt the distance or results I saw every time, but was the result more times than not. Im still not sure why the huge difference, but regardless, it just didnt work out for me.

but it certainly seems to be working out for you thus far in your limited time hitting it, which is great.

Swing speed for that was 97 on average. Im still not sure why the huge difference, but regardless, it just didnt work out for me.

but it certainly seems to be working out for you thus far in your limited time hitting it, which is great.

Well, it's working out on a launch monitor. For now, that's great. I guess I'm just going to have to see it outside to tell for certain. Either way, I'll keep the i20 because its a "known" vs an unknown...

At 97mph did you swing a regular or stiff? Because it seems that if you were having difficulty spinning it the shaft was too stiff.

Back