Status
Not open for further replies.
Carrying is supposed to be comforting not comfortable.

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Golfdawg those are all models I have read about, have you had any experience with any of them? I know there is plenty available, but not all are equal in terms of reliability and performance.

Ingolfer, if you look a few pages back, Golfdawg went into detail about a few of these models already. Not trying to be a jerk, just wanted to make you aware of some solid info G-dawg already shared on some of these, especially the S&W models he listed.

Golfdawg those are all models I have read about, have you had any experience with any of them? I know there is plenty available, but not all are equal in terms of reliability and performance.

I either own or have at least some trigger time with all those mentioned. Here is a tiny break down

Kahr PM9 or CM9 - Smallest of the bunch while not going below a 9mm, Very accurate, long smooth trigger pull like a revolver, 6+1 capacity with flush mags. Some times with Kahr's the mags need a little work to drop free. I own a CM9

S&W M&P Shield 9mm or .40 - Slim, good trigger, very mild shooting for it's size, accurate, feeds everything i have thrown at it, disappears IWB, can be worn OWB with out much trouble. Is now first choice in my carry rotation on most days, as i own the 9mm. capacity 7+1 flush fit base mag, or 8+1 for extended.

S&W M&P 9mm/.40/.357 sig compact - Thicker 1.2 than the Shield, trigger is decent but not great, aftermarket parts cleanup all that and turn it into a great shooter, soft shooter in 9mm, handles the .357 and .40 just fine
Ruger SP101 - Well made, handles .38 just fine, little more pop with .357 magnum of course, 5 shot capacity, compact, smooth long trigger pull, SA is very crisp. I do not own one, but plan too.
Ruger LC9 - Thin, light, accurate, good saftey features if you need the extra peice of mind, not a fan of the trigger, do not own, but they are well made, and plenty of people do well with it.
Glock 26,27 etc.. and - Hard to beat on reliably, weight, they are accurate, mushy trigger but can be cleaned up cheaply will little effort, capacity is 10-12 in 9mm, little thick compared to Shield and LC9, on par with the M&P compact.

Go to a range, one that may just charge you one fee to rent multiple guns, and shoot them, you will narrow down what you want and like and what works for you.

I can conceal a full size 1911. Its all about the holster.

I'd much rather have mid or full size ccw over a sub compact for the sight profile alone. I'd recommend shooting those baby pistols and comparing to your SA first you might just want to conceal it tbh

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Carrying is supposed to be comforting not comfortable.

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Most anyone can conceal a full size gun but i know most would opt for a compact 8 out of 10 times, holster as you said and belt are key. With my ares gear ranger belt, i can carry my P229 .357 sig, two extra mags, Ontario Rat 3, with out much trouble, and do on occasion, as i carry my PPQ 9mm much the same.

The thing is he asked for compact ideas, and that's what i gave him. Not knowing his profession, what limits his environment may provide, or his physical makeup as well, nothing wrong with a compact version.

A lot of people feel handgun calibers suck ballistics wise, but handguns combined with quality ammunition do provide you with a more efficient method of personal defense out side of a carbine, or shotgun.

As i am sure you know key is to carry what you feel comfortable with, will use, and will practice with, be it a 1911, glock, sig, etc.....

I recommend the Hk p7-psp.

After the sad events of last week and all the nutjobs that might try something stupid to become famous I have started to strongly consider getting my carry permit. However, my Springfield XD 40 is a midsize handgun and would not be the most easily concealable. I'm considering trading it in and getting something more compact. I've read up on a few popular C&C guns but thought I'd pop in here and see if anyone has any suggestions. I don't want anything smaller than a 9mm.

Golfdawg, you were right about that Taurus. that sucker is pretty stout for a little gun. I may need to get my wife something else with a little less boom. she hasnt shot it yet, but I did and was very surprised by the power.

Carrying compact I'd recommend a shield then. Fantastic small frame 10' gun

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Nice summation Dawg.

Ruger SP101 - Well made, handles .38 just fine, little more pop with .357 magnum of course, 5 shot capacity, compact, smooth long trigger pull, SA is very crisp. I do not own one, but plan too.

Our little collection includes the SP101 in .357 and the Glock 36 in .45.

The 101 was purchased to be my wife's CC weapon, the latter is mine. We had a little work done to lighten the trigger on the SP 101. It is accurate, easy to conceal and especially with trigger work an easy shoot.

The 36 is a really nice size for CC but it isn't a comfortable shoot - the cartridge has a bit too much power for the mass of the frame. Obviously that doesn't matter much if you are in an emergency situation where CC matters. However, it makes it pretty hard to practice. I'm reasonably good size guy and I don't like shooting it at the range. I got to the point where I did the majority of my practice with a .22 (and other items) to nail down technique then fired just a few items with the 36. Not necessarily ideal. If I had it to do over I'd go in another direction.

Re conceal carry, we let ours expire some time ago when we quit backpacking (started a family) but now that we take the kids out camping I'm going to get it again. I found a great offer through Groupon for an online version of the training/safety class - like $30.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the Walther PPK as a CC gun for the wife? We are planning to take classes this spring and have just started looking for options.

Golfdawg, you were right about that Taurus. that sucker is pretty stout for a little gun. I may need to get my wife something else with a little less boom. she hasnt shot it yet, but I did and was very surprised by the power.

Yea it's a tough little gun to shoot much and get trained with. Lots of options, SP101 that's been mentioned, PK380 because its slide is not too hard to rack.
Carrying compact I'd recommend a shield then. Fantastic small frame 10' gun

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk
zenger you are correct it was love at first trigger pull, pretty sure I was smiling the whole time I ran 200 rounds through the shield.

Nice summation Dawg.

thanks I still learn something new every day but whatever I learn I try to share with others and help them avoid some pitfalls I encountered

Any thoughts on the Walther PPK as a CC gun for the wife? We are planning to take classes this spring and have just started looking for options.

size is good and the .380 round can work, but make sure she can manipulate the slide, that's the key part of anyone with slightly weaker grip strength

i just want a simple 9mil right now. my dad has a S&W .45, but since that's our only gun he's not giving it to me, haha.

i just want a simple 9mil right now. my dad has a S&W .45, but since that's our only gun he's not giving it to me, haha.

Lol, I prefer the .45, I love my 1911. .45ACP FTW

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

Lol, I prefer the .45, I love my 1911. .45ACP FTW

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

yeah i want a 1911, but the 45 is a bit much for me to handle on a regular basis.

yeah i want a 1911, but the 45 is a bit much for me to handle on a regular basis.

Well depends on what size you want these will work
glock 26,19,17
M&P 9mm full size, compact or Shield
Walther PPQ 9mm
Sig P229 9mm

A good alternative is the H&K USP 45 compact, it is quite maneuverable, and the lightweight polymer lower really cuts down on the heft. My police officer buddy loves his and it's so much fun to shoot

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

A good alternative is the H&K USP 45 compact, it is quite maneuverable, and the lightweight polymer lower really cuts down on the heft. My police officer buddy loves his and it's so much fun to shoot

Tapatalk on iPhone 5
don't mention H&K to me.. i'll start wanting a HK21 and a 416...

don't mention H&K to me.. i'll start wanting a HK21 and a 416...

If you can afford it haha, they're more expensive than your car hahah. H&K has always Been my favorite

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

If you can afford it haha, they're more expensive than your car hahah. H&K has always Been my favorite

Tapatalk on iPhone 5
how much is a 21?

how much is a 21?

I believe a few thousand, hey a new USP can be about a grand so a a 21 is probably 3 or 4 times that lol

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

I believe a few thousand, hey a new USP can be about a grand so a a 21 is probably 3 or 4 times that lol

Tapatalk on iPhone 5
so now my car is worthless? i see how it is, Mr. Ortega.

so now my car is worthless? i see how it is, Mr. Ortega.

Lol, I was talking about the 21 haha not the USP I'm assuming that the 21 is at least 5 grand that's not worthless lol

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

Lol, I was talking about the 21 haha not the USP I'm assuming that the 21 is at least 5 grand that's not worthless lol
Tapatalk on iPhone 5
Tapatalk on iPhone 5

mmmmmmmhm.

Oh my bad I wasn't trying to offend you haha they're more expensive than my inexistent car

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

Oh my bad I wasn't trying to offend you haha they're more expensive than my inexistent car

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

nah dude it's all good i'm just screwin around. haha that's true. i have to bike to school too tho..

Anyone have a Kel Tec PF-9? I have a Glock 17 but want something real small too. And inexpensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back