Are You a Golf Snob?

I think I might be a snob with behaviour on the course, as far as I'm concerned wear what you like as long as it is golf clothes.

They are sticklers in Scotland about what you wear etc. My wife has a golf shop and when Nike started making the colarless shirts she got complaints from golfers that they were thrown out of club houses and banned from the course while wearing the shirts, and they wanted their money back.

Truly cannot believe I am commenting on this thread..as THP has been great to me...so I won't.
Hmm.

Hmmm, I don't think I ever say I'm "going golfing." However, I do know that I get asked on my typical golf days by others if I'm "golfing." I never really thought about it.

I don't wear tennis shoes on the golf course, but don't care if others do.

I generally wear polo shirts on the course, but have worn a t-shirt (rapid dry fabric type) on a few occasions. T-shirts don't really bother me as long as they aren't in poor taste, e.g. torn, cut-offs, sleeveless (for guys), etc.

I also don't have a problem with people wearing white belts. You won't find me in one, but that's because it doesn't really fit my personality or sense of style.

our whole team wears white belts with silver buckles,

we're the conference studs :banana:

White belts belong on retired guys who don't play the game.

White belts are very in and very cool right now, a great look.

I am very happy that plaid pants are in again. THey do nothave to to loud like Loudmouth golf right now, but lots of great subtle plaids out there with good color allowing a matching shirt. I wear plaid pants to work at least 3 days a week, all nice dress pants from Banana Republic or Polo...all great looking plaids. I get more complimets on my pants then anything else.

I don't care what anybody wears on a golf course, it doesn't affect me one iota.

I will DEFINITELY disagree with the white belt part. Some of the best fashion in golf.

You cannot be serious! (To quote McEnroe). Especially since you live in Florida!! Next time you go to the mall just watch how many retired old fogies (I'm one of them) wear white belts with matching shoes. Fashion disaster in the mall or on the course! :D

Fashion and style are cyclical. White belts are back with a vengence. Just like plaid and argyle.

Hm..."golf" is indeed a verb, as well as a noun. It's technically an Intransitive Verb, which means it contains the direct object inside the verb. For example, I'm going for a walk..."going" is the verb there, obviously. However, "I'm walking," walking is an Intransitive Verb, since you don't have to say "I'm walking on a walk." The 2nd "walk" in that sentence is redundant.

You may remember from Grammar School that a full sentence requires an object and a verb. So "I golfed" is a full sentence. Similarly, a classic piece of trivia is that the shortest sentence in the Bible is "Jesus wept." That's a transitive verb.

Ultimately, I'm afraid your lawyer pal was mistaken.

But you DON"T "go walking," you go for a walk. And, I know that golfing COULD be an intransitive verb, but what actually sounds better to your ear...."I'm going golfing" or "I'm going to play golf?" I suppose, the long and the short of it is how closely you listen to what's pleasing to YOUR ear and adopt it as your own.

I NEVER dress to the "nines" when I go PLAY golf. But I stubbornly stick to all cotton everything. A pair of chinos, a navy cotton Izod or whatever, and a navy cloth belt. That's as far as I go, but I consider that to be de rigeur for the course.

All cotton on the course would kill me. I love the tech material.

Being a golf snob is a bad thing. There are plenty of time that I have gone to play at a muni in cargo shorts and a t-shirt after work when we are building a store. Never, ever, judge a book by it's cover.

There have been many many times that I've gone to play golf after work. On those days, since I had to wear a shirt and tie, I would bring a golf shirt with me to work. I can tell that you don't care, but hey, it's an option.

There have been many many times that I've gone to play golf after work. On those days, since I had to wear a shirt and tie, I would bring a golf shirt with me to work. I can tell that you don't care, but hey, it's an option.

Im with you on that one. I used to keep a set of golf clothes in my trunk for just those occasions.

Only when it comes to appearance on the course. I'm from the school of tucked collared shirts and a belt when playing. I literally get angry and disgusted when I see jean shorts and a tank top (like I did this weekend) out there. I can live with an untucked shirt on someone but anything else is weak.

And I always carry a spare shirt and shorts in the car in the event of a last minute tee time after work, etc.

I'm a real fan of the tech materials. During the hottest days, lke last Sunday (108) I would have come home looking like I had an accident in my pants without the tech material shorts and the dryfit shirt. I left the course looking like a just arrived instead of looking like I had been in the pool.

what actually sounds better to your ear...."I'm going golfing" or "I'm going to play golf?"

"I'm going golfing." But that's just me.

Actually, either one sounds good to me.

Only when it comes to appearance on the course. I'm from the school of tucked collared shirts and a belt when playing. I literally get angry and disgusted when I see jean shorts and a tank top (like I did this weekend) out there. I can live with an untucked shirt on someone but anything else is weak.

And I always carry a spare shirt and shorts in the car in the event of a last minute tee time after work, etc.

Here! Here! :clapp:

This brings up an interesting point - do you have a separate wardrobe for golf? I would never wear my golf skirts or golf shirts any place else, but some of my shorts - I'll wear both on and off the course.

This brings up an interesting point - do you have a separate wardrobe for golf? I would never wear my golf skirts or golf shirts any place else, but some of my shorts - I'll wear both on and off the course.

I do Diane. I typically do not wear a lot of my golf shirts (i.e the thinner wicking ones) to the office.

I am. I bristle when someone says "I'm going golfing" or "I'm gonna go golf." I literally told a friend of mine (new to the game) to please say "I'm going to play golf." (He's still my friend.)

I frown on tennis shoes on the golf course. T-shirts belong in the bowling alley. White belts belong on retired guys who don't play the game.

What I'm saying here is that if you're going to PLAY golf then learn the lingo and dress the way golfers do! Does that make me a "golf snob?"

I play golf for the love of the game. I dont care about fancy clothers or anything (unless i got to a private course where it is mandatory). I just like to play golf and have fun.

I'm fortunate to work in an environment where I can wear my golf shirts (and hats) to work. Those along with jeans and boots comprise my work wardrobe.

My shorts, golf trousers and obviously shoes are golf specific.

I don't care if someone plays in tennis shoes, I did it for years. It took me a long time to realize the benefit of golf shoes, even after I owned them. I don't really like to see jeans or t-shirts on the course, but they're there, and as long as the person is observing the rules, I'm really not offended. I always grab a clean shirt, shorts, belt, shoes and hat to change into if I'm playing after work.

Just hitting the practice green, I wear comfy athletic shorts, whatever shirt and flip-flops, I don't bother dressing up for that.

My wardrobe is very odd because some days I wear nice looking dress pants and golf shirts to work and other days, I am in cowboy boots and jeans or in jeans and steel toed boots. It depends on what my particular task is for that day. If I have to go to the mines, I have to dress in miner's clothes, if I am going to call on the quarries, etc. the boots and jeans are appropriate, if I am meeting with some Corporate types, I dress the part. Consequently, there are days my office attire can go straight to the course and other days I would have to change (and dress up) to go to the course after work. Kinda weird but I like it that way. I can't imagine having to suffer through days of sameness.

I wear my golf clothes everyday, no need to carry spares.

But you DON"T "go walking," you go for a walk. [/QUOTE]

Patsy Cline: I go walkin', after midnight...

My casual warm weather uniform is bermudas or capris with a polo shirt, so yes. I don't wear skorts off the course, though.

And here I'd been thinking about changing my tagline to "Rockin' the Full Cleveland." Guess it would offend Johneli, huh?

Back