TheGasman

I Like to Party
Reaction score
Handicap
Do any of you guys keep a yardage book?
I have about 5 courses in my rotation and sometimes I forget some of the characteristics of certain courses. Im not worried about the actual yardages, thats what my GPS is for but more breaks in the greens, swales, and so on.
Any advice on a where to get a nice cover for one and what is the best kind of book for it?

Do any of you guys keep a yardage book?
I have about 5 courses in my rotation and sometimes I forget some of the characteristics of certain courses. Im not worried about the actual yardages, thats what my GPS is for but more breaks in the greens, swales, and so on.
Any advice on a where to get a nice cover for one and what is the best kind of book for it?

I don't keep one, but think about doing it all the time:

Yardage Marker Booklet - Yardage Marker - Yardage and Strategy Booklet

That one looks pretty nice, I might have to try one out.

I play with a woman who keeps one, but she enters her notes into a spreadsheet and will print out a sheet for whatever course she's playing that day.

Here's another one:
http://www.tpkgolf.com/product-pages/accessories/golfers-yardage-book-kit.html

Golfer's Create A Course Kit

Create A Course Yardage Book: For any course you play. Buy the PGA's easy to use templates, stickers and instructions.

Our yardage book kit contains easy instructions for set up and includes stickers for greens, bunkers and trees. Playing with the aid of a course yardage book helps manage and improve your game. Twenty-seven holes can be mapped using the patented TPK Course Yardage Book Kit.

create-yardage-book.jpg

I'm not sure what "Buy the PGA's easy to use templates, stickers and instructions." means.

You might check the courses you play and see if they have printed ones for the course. Any 'good' course will probably have them available. I used to get them anytime I knew I would play a course more than once. They were usually around $5 and had a ton of info in them like the slope of the greens, mounds, trees, creeks, carry distances, etc. Might be easier than drawing one yourself. Then when you play you can just add stuff to it as you go.

I don't keep a yardage book per se, but I do keep a what I call a "reminder" book. It looks like a yardage book, and fits in my back pocket. I use it to remind myself what certain lie situations might require as far as ball location, club selection, stance, things like that. It's a collection of notes more than anything else. I keep club yardages in it for knock down, 3/4 swings, flop shot, carry & run, out of the rough, and of course fairway, and bunker full shots for the different clubs I use. Due to it's design it also double as my score book. Everything in one handy flip flop book.

As for keeping track of greens on paper, I don't do that. You can usually get a good read of the green while walking up to it from the fairway. I know my home course greens pretty well due to excessive use. As for courses I visit every so often, if they offer a yardage book that shows decent info, I might purchase one. If I am using a caddy, that is even better for course/green information.:comp:

You might check the courses you play and see if they have printed ones for the course. Any 'good' course will probably have them available. I used to get them anytime I knew I would play a course more than once. They were usually around $5 and had a ton of info in them like the slope of the greens, mounds, trees, creeks, carry distances, etc. Might be easier than drawing one yourself. Then when you play you can just add stuff to it as you go.
I usually pick one up from the course, the problem is that they dont leave a lot of room for writing stuff down and their descriptions are usually pretty vague.

I don't keep a yardage book per se, but I do keep a what I call a "reminder" book. It looks like a yardage book, and fits in my back pocket. I use it to remind myself what certain lie situations might require as far as ball location, club selection, stance, things like that. It's a collection of notes more than anything else. I keep club yardages in it for knock down, 3/4 swings, flop shot, carry & run, out of the rough, and of course fairway, and bunker full shots for the different clubs I use. Due to it's design it also double as my score book. Everything in one handy flip flop book.
I need to start doing something like that. I cant tell you how many times I have been on a tee box for a par 3 and forgot what I need to play.
The reason I bring this up, is that I find if I play a course multiple times in a row, I really start playing better because I know all of the little quirks. But once I hit the next course, I forgot all about the last one.

I need to start doing something like that. I cant tell you how many times I have been on a tee box for a par 3 and forgot what I need to play.
The reason I bring this up, is that I find if I play a course multiple times in a row, I really start playing better because I know all of the little quirks. But once I hit the next course, I forgot all about the last one.

I think the little notebooks JB just reviewed work for that. But dangit, I've already forgotten the name of them. Stupid aging!

EDIT: "Parformance" - The Hackers Paradise Par-Formance Golf Score Journal Review

2. The Tournament Journal & Yardage Book version of Par-formance scores 5 rounds per journal and allows you to diagram in detail all 18 holes of a course showing yardage, water, trees, dog-legs, bunkers and the features of the greens. Ideal for tournament play!

I think the little notebooks JB just reviewed work for that. But dangit, I've already forgotten the name of them. Stupid aging!

EDIT: "Parformance" - The Hackers Paradise Par-Formance Golf Score Journal Review

I got one of those with my belt buckle. I have used it the last couple of rounds to keep score in and it works great, the tournament one it came with is a little flimsy. Im just curious to see what other people are using and maybe get some ideas.

I use a SkyCaddie, so the need for a yardage book is minimal. I used them before I got the SkyCaddie. Also, I have an iPhone and bought an App that has a lot of the info you would get from yardage books, etc. as well as a scorekeeping system and statistical analysis built in. I am just learning how to best use it, but it looks great.

Just as a note I made my own book of reminders. I bought the book at Wal-Mart. It's called a "photo brag book" and probably cost me $1.50. It holds 36, 4" X 6" cards in it. I made the cards using microsoft word processor, and the "tables" directive. (folks who are smarter than me with computers probably know an easier way to set this up) Set the margins to fit the book I have, and then let my imagination take over on the type of info I wanted to keep handy. Once done, I printed it out on on some heavy duty, index card type paper, cut the sections out, and slid them into the plastic sleeves in my book. I also made my own score card using the same method, to fit the book. A rubber band in the fold of the book keeps the score card in place.

I wear reading glasses, and by making my own, I could set the font size to where I could read the print with out having to put on my glasses while on the course. Some of those manufactured books have print that is too small to read with out glasses for me. :cool:

I have one that my home course already made, very colourful detailed views of the hole, once I find my camera I'll take a couple pictures.

Just as a note I made my own book of reminders. I bought the book at Wal-Mart. It's called a "photo brag book" and probably cost me $1.50. It holds 36, 4" X 6" cards in it.

Awesome, Ill have to see if I can find something like that.

Here is my yardage book (sorry for bad pics) It shows yardages to key points, yardages to greens, front/back, yardages to bunkers, length in feet of the green, and slope of the green.

2uqnka8.jpg

2h6zpn5.jpg

351ipzq.jpg

You have a lot of room for notes on that thing Dent. The ones I usually pick up, fill up the sides with vague info. Looks like you have a lot of trees at your course.

You have a lot of room for notes on that thing Dent. The ones I usually pick up, fill up the sides with vague info. Looks like you have a lot of trees at your course.

Every hole has trees yes. There is actually not much room to write on, but I guess I can add my own yardages in there as well if I wanted. There is a little paragraph on the bottom of the page as well telling you how to play the hole.

I like buying course yardage books when they offer them. Usually they aren't that expensive, just a couple bucks, and even if I have GPS, they still offer some insight plus I like to look at them after the fact and remember the round and plot what I would do differently. They make nice little mementos of a visit to a nice course.

Back