Have fun--officially jealous here.

Thanks all. We'll definitely take some pics (and maybe even some video).

I'm curious what kind of sticks (and what quality they'll be), but I guess I have a built in excuse if/when things go south.

Grogger,
While down there when I played they gave me Cobra GI irons from the prior season. Not too shabby at all.

Fun fact (if I may): Grogger and I had our honeymoons at the same Bermuda hotel, about a week apart.

Grogger,
While down there when I played they gave me Cobra GI irons from the prior season. Not too shabby at all.
That would be a pleasant surprise. I've never rented from a nice course before. The only time I did was at a small par-3 course in Florida. No two clubs matched, and both my putter and 8-iron were left-handed!

Fun fact (if I may): Grogger and I had our honeymoons at the same Bermuda hotel, about a week apart.
Claire, we promised never to speak about our "fun facts".
Now :quiet:

Well, I'm back from Bermuda and was able to play 18 at the Port Royal Golf Course. Sorry, in advance, for the long post.

I wasn't aware of it until we got there, but apparently Port Royal will be the site of the PGA Grand Slam of Golf in October this year, which is comprised of a single foursome made up of all four major winners.

We stayed at the Pompano Beach Club which is literally right next to Port Royal (and a place I highly recommend to anyone heading to Bermuda).

I rented clubs. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure it was a complete set of 2009 Taylormade Burner Plus irons and woods. I hit the driver better than my FT-5, so I've got some investigation to do. I hit some of the irons well, others not some much. These things had a HUGE topline, but I got used to it quickly. I could NOT hit the 3W, 5W, or hybrid at ALL!

It was a terrific round because of the course condition and beautiful setting. Unfortunately, my play was less than stellar ... even after my high hopes when I had a par on the first hole. My wife rode with me and enjoyed herself. We had five open holes in front of us and I played the front nine in an 1 hour and 15 mins (not a typo). The 8th hole is right next to our resort and my wife opted to bail after 8 holes and spend the remaining time on the beach with a few frozen cocktails. Smart lady.

On the 11th hole, I caught the foursome in front of me and then the two singles behind me caught up shortly thereafter. I hooked up with the guy right behind me who turned out to be a nice guy and a pretty good player, reminding me that I really have huge room for improvement.

After the round (which took a total of 3:15), I talked with a local who was skeptical they'd have the course ready for the PGA Grand Slam in October. They do still have some work to do. I figured rather than call the resort shuttle to come get me, I'd simply walk the course back to the resort. A gentlemen in a cart pulled up just as I left the clubhouse and I asked him if I was heading in the right direction. He offered to give me a ride back. Super nice guy from South Africa who turned out to be the Director of Agronomy there. He was absolutely confident that the course would be ready for October. I hope so ... I look forward to watching the Pros tackle the course that I butchered. I shot a 95, by the way. Disappointing score, but not a disappointing round.

As promised, here are some pictures. In order to include more than a couple of front-nine pics, I had to include myself in some of them ... screwing up what are otherwise nice shots. Sorry about that.

First tee
DSC01976.JPG

First fairway (green at right behind pond)
DSC01977.JPG

Behind first green
DSC01981.JPG

2 shots from 6th tee
DSC01990.JPG

DSC01988.JPG

7th green at left. The light colored water, btw, is a sandbar that runs out over a quarter mile from shore. At low tide, you can walk out the whole way.
DSC01991.JPG

15th tee. The wall at left is part of the Whale Bay Battery, a fort built in the 1870's.
DSC02000.JPG

16th tee. The signature hole, for obvious reasons. Par 3.
DSC02002.JPG

17th fairway and green, taken from the 18th tee.
DSC02007.JPG

18th tee
DSC02005.JPG

Gel.Us.

Beautiful Grogger. Thanks for sharing those.

Thanks everyone. Funny, now I've got the "new equipment" bug after having rented clubs.

*sigh*

Just what I need ...

Funny, now I've got the "new equipment" bug after having rented clubs...

Then we need to keep scooter away from Bermuda! hehe

Great pics Grogger, I'm gonna go stand in the jealous line.

Great job, Grogger!

Man, how things have changed. My wife and I went there 12 years ago with my son when he was one. We stayed at Elbow Beach. It was expensive (about $250/night) but the concierge set me up with a round at MOC. I got there and had to rent clubs. They set me up with a nice set of Callaways for $49 and said the greens fees were already paid. I figured the cost would be added to my room. I was paired with a Chemical Engineer that worked for the water authority on the Island, I’m a Chem Eng myself and had a great time, not to mention I shot an 88. Afterwards we had a few drinks and a good chat. When I got back to the hotel, the concierge asked me how I liked MOC and I told hikm it was the best course I’ve ever played. It still is one of the best courses I’ve ever played; the fairways were like carpet, the greens were immaculate, and the views were incredible. Anyway, at the end of the stay, I checked the room charges and the greens fee charge was $25. I thought it was a mistake, so I asked the concierge what the greens fees were and he said that as a guest of the hotel, the greens fees were the member rate, just cart fees. I don’t think they still do that, but if we ever go back, I’ll try to stay at EB again. On the negative side, food on the island is outrageously priced. The cheapest dinner we had was $120 for two adults, and no alcohol. I think we spent more on the food for the week, than we spent on the lodging.

Back