The Official "Help WSE Learn to Smoke Stogies" Thread

Reporting back. Yesterday, after my aborted Bridgestone ball fitting (see thread of same name), I went to the short game practice area. You can essentially rent a practice hole of about 140 yards for only $12 an hour, and I thought that would be a good place to try my first of the JB batch of cigars. I brought the Connecticut. Now, talk about a noob mistake -- I put the cigar in an outside net pouch on my golf bag, and when I went to pull it, the sheath was already drying out enough that it was flaking away. Doh! Don't know why it didn't occur to me that sitting in direct sunlight for a while would dry it out a bit. From now on I'll put it in the insulated cooler pocket. Well, I caught it in time so no big deal. I don't really have the experience or background to describe the flavor profile of the cigar, so I won't try. But I will say that it was a very smooth, easy-smoking cigar. Very tasty, not bitter or harsh, and I loved the fragrant smoke. I have to admit that I accidentally dropped some ash on the green, but it blew away quickly so no biggie. One draw back: I've got no tolerance for nicotene, and probably smoked it too low anyway, because when I got home my head was spinning! But that passed after about 30 minutes. Anyway, I really liked the size and feel and taste of that Connecticut. Very enjoyable. Thanks again, JB! :good:

Its a really good smooth golf course smoke and I am glad that you enjoyed it.

The CT is a great smoke, it is a little mild for me but I tend to like something mild on the golf course most of the time.

It sounds like you need to get a little travel case WSE. He is out of Potomac Falls. The 2 count is nice and small and can fit in the golf bag easily. The five count is more practical though because you can fit a lighter and cutter in there as well for only $3 more.

A tip for you WSE:

Keep a couple of packets of sugar on hand.

If you feel yourself getting dizzy, or sick, pour the sugar under your tongue, and let it dissolve. It counteracts the nicotine.

The CT is a great smoke, it is a little mild for me but I tend to like something mild on the golf course most of the time.

It sounds like you need to get a little travel case WSE. He is out of Potomac Falls. The 2 count is nice and small and can fit in the golf bag easily. The five count is more practical though because you can fit a lighter and cutter in there as well for only $3 more.

Ah, with another hobby comes more gadgets! Excellent. :blob:

A tip for you WSE:

Keep a couple of packets of sugar on hand.

If you feel yourself getting dizzy, or sick, pour the sugar under your tongue, and let it dissolve. It counteracts the nicotine.

Good to know! Also, maybe I don't need to huff on the thing so hard! Thanks, Gummi.

Would you look at this. I come home from work, expecting nothing but a stack of bills and maybe a golf week or something, and instead I'm greeted by this lovely sight, gratis Mr. Gummi:

dsc0956i.jpg

And is that one in the middle what I think it is? "Habana" that's in Miami, right? Thanks Gummi -- you're too kind!

From left to right:

Tatuaje P1 : Tatuaje Series P Cigars at NewHavanaCigars.com I buy these by the box, and smoke them the most often.

Padron 3000 (natural) : Padron Series 3000 (Comparison Review) Keepers of the Flame These are always a good smoke. They've never done me wrong.

Saint Luis Rey Series A : Saint Luis Rey Serie A - Cuban Cigars - Authentic Cuban cigars from Cuban Lou's (no, it's not from Florida :D This one is a 1999 cigar. It's one of the mildest CC's out there, a good stepping stone for a beginner)

Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 (natural) : Tinderbox.com - Arturo Fuente 858 Natural - Cigars This one is a Cameroon, a very nutty flavor profile. I like it with some coffee (black) to really bring out those flavors.

Rocky Patel Fusion (2nd) : Rocky Patel Fusion - Cigar.com This is a 2nd, there is a cosmetic flaw, but otherwise is a fantastic cigar. The bundles come unbanded, and are a great 'cheap' stick to kick around with, whether pushing the lawn mower, or walking the golf course.

Stick them in your humidor, and let them sit for a few days to adjust from their trip, and they'll all be good to smoke whenever you're ready.

That's too cool Gummi! Props to you!

Well done, Gummi!

OK...I used to smoke a cigar every now and then. The best one I ever had was a Cruz Real #4 maduro from the Sinaloa Mountains in Mexico. This Rocky guy has a Cruz Real but it's from Nicaraqua. Don't know if it's the same cigar but I have one now. I bought a sampler pack online. I have played rounds with guys that would smoke a cigar and I would smell the smoke and think that would be nice to have a good cigar out here. Anyway...the sampler came with a free humidor. The cigars all have wrappers. Should I remove the wrappers before putting them in the humidor or not? I never had a humidor before as I always just purchased one or two at a time.

On second thought, maybe I'll leave them on this bunch 'cause they're all different. When I find a favorite...then I'll get them in a box. Thanks Craig! I hope I can find a good one that doesn't cost more than drugs! Ha! Ha!

Let me introduce you to my little friend:

329.jpg

328_lid.jpg

Bought this today at Draper's. 25 bucks, 10 churchhills storage capacity. I plan to use it as my home and away humidore -- for now. :D

Sweet turd carrier/straightener WSE.

You know what can happen when you don't have a carrier:

caddyshack-pool.jpg

(If someone wishes to go to the trouble of adding a movie quote to an image, you would think someone would correct the typos, no?)

You know what can happen when you don't have a carrier:

caddyshack-pool.jpg

(If someone wishes to go to the trouble of adding a movie quote to an image, you would think someone would correct the typos, no?)

Teh .

Let me introduce you to my little friend:

329.jpg

328_lid.jpg

Bought this today at Draper's. 25 bucks, 10 churchhills storage capacity. I plan to use it as my home and away humidore -- for now. :D

Cool, I use one of those all of the time. Your going to like it.

That black string thing looks like a wrist leash, rather than something you plug into a USB port, right? Why would you walk around with a humidor on your wrist, like a clutch purse?

That black string thing looks like a wrist leash, rather than something you plug into a USB port, right? Why would you walk around with a humidor on your wrist, like a clutch purse?

WSE only wishes he had gotten the USB enabled travel humidor.

Spoiler
??? :bulgy-eyes:

Yes Claire it is a leash, these boxes are designed to be waterproof and crushproof so you can take them anywhere. The leash is there for a lot of reasons. I use mine to attach it to the golf bag.

Nice pick up WSE!

Yes Claire it is a leash, these boxes are designed to be waterproof and crushproof so you can take them anywhere. The leash is there for a lot of reasons. I use mine to attach it to the golf bag.

Nice pick up WSE!

You bring that cigar man purse with you? Can't you just put a cigar in your pocket?

By putting it in your pocket you risk damage as well as drying out. This way, you can keep it attached to your golf bag and they are safe.

Diane, I refer to it as my cigar murse.

Back