ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
1970 Plymouth GTX, 440 Magnum, BW T-10 4 speed, holly double pumper, bucket seats, headers, dual exhaust, & vacuum hood scoop. This thing would out run everything but police radios, and gas stations.

Nope, the 70s did not suck:banana:

I was in kindergarten in the 70's...

Abba didnt suck.
abba4.jpg

Starsky and Hutch
Starsky_and_Hutch.jpg

Pet Rock
pet-rock.jpg

I think the case could be made that every decade to an extent has sucked. Unless something spectacular happened to you like bringing your child into the world, or marriage, or winning the lottery.

I mean look at the 90s. What in the world did that bring us? The Hip Hop Decade?

I think the early 80's sucked a lot more than the 70's. I entered kindergarten in 67/68 & while I don't recall a whole lot of 70-71 for some reason, after that it's pretty vivid.

I would have to say that the 70's sucked for the most part.

The first couple years had the tail-end of the muscle-car era, but they still get attributed to the 60's. The 70's brought the gas crunch and emissions changes that killed the muscle cars. Case in point - 1974 Chevy Corvette with a 350ci big block had only 195 HP. :sick:

The 70's spawned Disco. :bulgy-eyes:

The Kent State Massacre happened.

The Neutron Bomb was created.

Nixon and WaterGate.

Pro athletes started "free agency" and created the beginnings of the insane incomes we see today.

Just a few off the top of my head.

This is from Time Magazines 50 Worst Cars Of All Time. I love the last sentence.:D
1971 Ford Pinto
ford_pinto.jpg

They shoot horses, don't they? Well, this is fish in a barrel. Of course the Pinto goes on the Worst list, but not because it was a particularly bad car — not particularly — but because it had a rather volatile nature. The car tended to erupt in flame in rear-end collisions. The Pinto is at the end of one of autodom's most notorious paper trails, the Ford Pinto memo , which ruthlessly calculates the cost of reinforcing the rear end ($121 million) versus the potential payout to victims ($50 million). Conclusion? Let 'em burn.

Yeesh, that thing was a complete POS. Yeah, can't say that the guys running the company back in those days were exactly known for building things very well.

Also, the Mustang II was built on the Pinto frame. WTF?! We get to thank Lee Iacocca for that one...

Yeesh, that thing was a complete POS. Yeah, can't say that the guys running the company back in those days were exactly known for building things very well.

Also, the Mustang II was built on the Pinto frame. WTF?! We get to thank Lee Iacocca for that one...

I think the 80's would be the low point for GM, they had a 305 CI motor in the Corvette and actually put a 4 cyl. in the Camaro.:banghead:

I agree with JB on this one, every decade had it's moments of sucking and moments of pure genius.

I am beginning to think some of you were not around, or just did not know how to enjoy the 70s. If not for 70s I'd probably be under dirt by now. This after all the stuff I did in the 60s. :banghead:

I married in the 70s. (still married to the same gal) We started our family in the 70s. Bought our first home in the 70s. First puppy. First credit card. First parent teacher conference. Jumped out of a perfectly good air craft for the first time. :confused2: All kinds of good stuff. :clapp:

I'm a bit younger than you Provisional, but with very few exceptions, I only have good memories of the 70s - especially with music. I didn't listen to disco so my memories are of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Led Zeppelin, Yes, The Who, Bob Seger, David Bowie, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, The Kinks, Deep Purple, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Steve Miller Band, Norman Greenbaum, Elton John, CCR, Steely Dan, Warren Zevon, Frank Zappa, Alice Cooper, Eric Clapton, Don McClean, Carly Simon, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Doobie Brothers, Joe Walsh, Traffic. The list goes on and on. What's not to like?

That's a blast form the past. My daughter, a few years ago, showed me the fine art of burning CDs. All those bands you mentioned (and others) are on my "road trip" CD collection. Now, before anyone gets on me about stealing music, I have all the LPs, and CDs that my burned collection has come from. :banana:

I'm a bit younger than you Provisional, but with very few exceptions, I only have good memories of the 70s - especially with music. I didn't listen to disco so my memories are of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Led Zeppelin, Yes, The Who, Bob Seger, David Bowie, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, The Kinks, Deep Purple, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Steve Miller Band, Norman Greenbaum, Elton John, CCR, Steely Dan, Warren Zevon, Frank Zappa, Alice Cooper, Eric Clapton, Don McClean, Carly Simon, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Doobie Brothers, Joe Walsh, Traffic. The list goes on and on. What's not to like?

For a 14-23 year old the 70's didn't suck for me.I rather enjoyed them.It was a lot simpler time with a lot more personal liberties.

For a 14-23 year old the 70's didn't suck for me.I rather enjoyed them.It was a lot simpler time with a lot more personal liberties.

That's true and this isn't directed at you, but AIDs wasn't around then, oral contraceptives were and abortion had become legal.

Two oil crises.

Stagflation.

Snug sacks, for God's sake.

Double knit polyester.

Leisure suits.

Avocado and mustard colored appliances.

Generally bad design, particularly architecture.

I was in kindergarten in the 70's so I consider myself a child of the 90's. Would the 90's qualify as the grunge era?

Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Sound Garden
flannel shirts
teen angst

Leisure suits.

Oh, come on. The leisure suit is still awesome.
Spoiler
Claire finds them sexy.
Spoiler
417442156_2961f702e9.jpg

What were the one piece leisure suits that Mr. Furley would wear called?
Spoiler
18113Mr_Furley.jpg

I want one.

Nik nik shirts, to go with that leisure suit:

69059.jpg

nier.jpg

Back