Invasion of Privacy

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
Local News Story - WESH Orlando

:shock:

Someone Tried To Sell Video Of Former UF Cheerleader A******

WINTER PARK, Fla. -- Lawyers for a nationally known broadcaster with roots in Central Florida said she was videotaped in her hotel room without her knowledge.

Someone used a peep hole to film ESPN sideline reporter and former University of Florida cheerleader Erin A****** while she was naked.

Authorities said that person then posted the grainy video on the Internet and tried to sell it.

It can be a felony in Florida to tape someone using a Web cam or camera phone.

In A*****s' case it appeared someone used a peep hole to secretly record her in a hotel room getting dressed.

A*****s' attorney wouldn't say where or when it happened, but he said his client was victimized and wants to prosecute.

Hotel guests in Orlando said it's enough to make anyone cringe.

"Hugely disgusted and violated and really grossed out," one hotel patron said.

Almost 50 million people last year stayed in greater Orlando's 111,000 hotel rooms.

Craig Dorris spent six years as the Orange County Sheriff's Office security liaison to the hotel industry. He said this kind of voyeurism is not common.

"I'm not aware of any problem we've had historically -- more at the swimming pools and problems going on today with the water parks," Dorris said.

In the late 1990s, WESH 2 News exposed a series of peep holes in bathrooms at a Kissimmee Econolodge. Someone placed sheet rock and pieces of wood to try to cover the holes up in a utility corridor.

State law indicates secretly videotaping an adult is a misdemeanor.

Many people who tried to access Web sites claiming to have the video of A*****s got a computer virus instead.

ESPN said it is giving A*****s full support.

erinandrewseatsasandwich.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
supposedly there's a virus embedded in the video and it may not be her at all. also, some reports suggest that the video has been on the net for 6-8 mos but ESPN is the one who 'broke the story?' Call me a cynic but this smells like a publicity campaign because real or not, she's a household name now.

Apparently it is her.

Statement of Behalf of Erin A*****s

LOS ANGELES, July 17 /PRNewswire/ -- With respect to recent Internet postings of Erin A*****s, she has authorized her attorney, Marshall B. Grossman of Bingham McCutchen LLP, to issue the following statement:

"While alone in the privacy of her hotel room, Erin A*****s was surreptitiously videotaped without her knowledge or consent. She was the victim of a crime and is taking action to protect herself and help ensure that others are not similarly violated in the future. Although the perpetrator or perpetrators of this criminal act have not yet been identified, when they are identified she intends to bring both civil and criminal charges against them and against anyone who has published the material. We request respect of Erin's privacy at this time, while she and her representatives are working with the authorities."

SOURCE Bingham McCutchen LLP

Last edited by a moderator:
I read about this, but did someone poke a hole in the wall or did they use the peephole on the door? I find it very disconcerting that someone would violate someone's privacy in this way.

I have som real issues with this since hearing about it on Saturday morning. If there has ever been an invasion of privacy this is it. I have zero sympathy for the people that "make a sex tape" only to later "have it stolen". However this is different.

I have som real issues with this since hearing about it on Saturday morning. If there has ever been an invasion of privacy this is it. I have zero sympathy for the people that "make a sex tape" only to later "have it stolen". However this is different.

Im with you, it would be one thing if she was sun bathing topless, but this whole deal really sucks.

+1 here!! great read and a great perspective on the issue!! I feel for her, because as stated in this blog she will always be in fear of another disgusting attack!!

I agree - good article! Sheesh, I'd be so creeped out. I have a strong feeling that hotel is about to get slapped with a lawsuit.

We are supposed to be taken seriously? Uh Oh

I have a strong feeling that hotel is about to get slapped with a lawsuit.

Oh jeeze, I hope not, unless it is shown they were negligent or an accomplice in this event occurring.

He used "your" instead of "you're" in the last sentence.

Seriously folks, it's not that hard. <sigh>

If you are (you're) writing a blog/article/column/whatever, this is one of the basic things you should know if you want to be taken seriously.

Harry, I don’t disagree and I think it is partially due to the informality of the internet. I have posted items here (or is it hear? :act-up:) that I am sure were not grammatically correct because I didn’t take the time to reread them before pushing send. That being said his blog does often contain errors but I think his perspective is often enlightening. Also, not to make excuses for him but this is simply a sideline project. His full time gig is hosting a sports radio show so I think he often falls into the trap of not proofreading his posts thoroughly.

I probably shouldn't wade into this, but I found myself with what will likely be my only opportunity to see Erin naked and I took it. I could say I prayed for forgiveness, but to be perfectly honest, I didn't do that, either. And I will watch it again.

Honesty is always the best policy. :angel:

Oh jeeze, I hope not, unless it is shown they were negligent or an accomplice in this event occurring.

Well, I promise that I am not an expert on Florida law, but I can tell you that she might try. Here in Texas, if they would find out a hotel employee took the video, or anyone associated with the hotel, they would likely try to hold the hotel liable in part. I promise that the hotel's lawyers are scrambling like mad right now to get to the bottom of what exactly happened.

Herr_Ryan - that's funny. Thanks for the confession. :)

I don't understand the men that say, "totally wrong. Anyone have the tape?"

****ING sick.

I don't understand the men that say, "totally wrong. Anyone have the tape?"

****ING sick.

I guess that would be a reference to me huh? Just joking Julie, I have no interest in seeing something like that. But judging from our visitors today there are a lot that want to....

I probably shouldn't wade into this, but I found myself with what will likely be my only opportunity to see Erin naked and I took it. I could say I prayed for forgiveness, but to be perfectly honest, I didn't do that, either. And I will watch it again.

Honesty is always the best policy. :angel:

Wow!!! I'm speechless!!! :confused2:

in the words of Ron Burgandy "Stay Classy!!"

I guess that would be a reference to me huh? Just joking Julie, I have no interest in seeing something like that. But judging from our visitors today there are a lot that want to....

No, reference to the writer. What a high and mighty load of cr@p, the guy probably spent two hours looking for the video, then giving up and writing that gem.

No, reference to the writer. What a high and mighty load of cr@p, the guy probably spent two hours looking for the video, then giving up and writing that gem.

Didn't read the article:confused2: I thought you were refering to my attempts at humor for Harry to send me the video.... Sorry love!!

Didn't read the article:confused2: I thought you were refering to my attempts at humor for Harry to send me the video.... Sorry love!!

You're a good guy, Craig, I know you wouldn't. (But if a girl you like ever asks, I'll lie my arse off if you want.)

It is a pretty off color joke though. I don't know...I had stomach trouble and trouble sleeping when I first read it last night...it's a phobia of mine, personally, I can imagine that poor girl might just want to kill herself.

You're a good guy, Craig, I know you wouldn't. (But if a girl you like ever asks, I'll lie my arse off if you want.)

It is a pretty off color joke though. I don't know...I had stomach trouble and trouble sleeping when I first read it last night...it's a phobia of mine, personally, I can imagine that poor girl might just want to kill herself.

Sadly it happened because she is a beautiful woman who is in the limelight and some smuck thought he could make a buck off of it. Hopefully they will find who did this and haul the garbage out to the curb....

Sadly it happened because she is a beautiful woman who is in the limelight and some smuck thought he could make a buck off of it. Hopefully they will find who did this and haul the garbage out to the curb....

I agree...but you just can't reverse that damage. I sympathize with her so much. (For her?)

once something hits the internet, its out there FOREVER! no reversing it :bad:

Back