ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
I went to the range after work today, so I still had makeup on.

When I got home, I noticed a makeup mark on my rear shoulder, from the followthrough (that would be most women's right shoulder). None on my forward shoulder.

Recently, I read somewhere that a lot of the pros end their rounds with a makeup mark on each shoulder. I'm having takeaway issues, and wondering if this is evidence I'm not there yet. (Not that I need any more evidence.)

So, ladies, do you get makeup marks? One shoulder or both? Have you noticed any correlation with how well you're swinging?

That is an interesting question. I have never gone to the course after work so I have never had make-up on to notice if this was an issue. I can't remember a time where my shoulder brushed my face but without make-up I wonder if I would ever notice?? I think this is a great question for our THP pro, Andy. He taught a ladies clinic for well over a year and I am sure he can answer why this would be happening, if it's a problem, and if so how to fix it.

I'm working with a pro now; she had to cancel tonight's lesson, and I need to reschedule. I just wondered if amateurs noticed!

Claire - I was told in one lesson that I should be leaving lipstick marks on both shoulders, but I never understood that.

Claire - I was told in one lesson that I should be leaving lipstick marks on both shoulders, but I never understood that.

Are your shoulders flirting with you?

Claire - I can't be of help, I don't put makeup on my cheeks and chin. (I'm a t-zoner, myself.)

Diane - I do believe you got a very bogus piece of advice there. A danger to any woman who dares play golf. That would keep your head down (the turtle, we call it) and hinder a full shoulder turn. I have had people tell me I shouldn't do a full swing, they believe women are anatomically unable.

Claire - I can't be of help, I don't put makeup on my cheeks and chin. (I'm a t-zoner, myself.)

Diane - I do believe you got a very bogus piece of advice there. A danger to any woman who dares play golf. That would keep your head down (the turtle, we call it) and hinder a full shoulder turn. I have had people tell me I shouldn't do a full swing, they believe women are anatomically unable.

Say What??? That's just crazy... :D

Say What??? That's just crazy... :D

I've been in a multi year long war against my left shoulder...

but that is beside the point. I think the makeup (not lipstick) thing makes sense, since we have to pull our shoulders up higher.

Yeah, I thought it was base, from your chin. The lipstick marks are for the guys' collars.

One of those senior golf champions, (Nicklaus maybe?) said a golfer should see their front shoulder pass under their chin on the back swing, and watch for their rear shoulder to pass under their chin in the down swing. This as a swing tip.:confused2:

Yeah, I thought it was base, from your chin. The lipstick marks are for the guys' collars.

I'd meant to follow up on this one. The last time I had a lesson, I asked my pro, and she said I should have makeup marks on both shoulders. Well, at least I can think about going shoulder to shoulder, along with the other 26 swing thoughts.

I can see maybe powder from the chin? But if its eyeliner, I think you need a new pro.

I can see maybe powder from the chin? But if its eyeliner, I think you need a new pro.

Good point, unless the eyeliner has run down my face from weeping. We're talking base/powder from the chin.

Re: Makeup Marks

I get both shoulders. it's really quite annoying. but it indicates a full shoulder rotation on the takeaway.....so yay?!?

to counter act the make-up, I grab an extra towel from the cart barn and wipe my cheeks/chin with it. not all of it....but the risidual that would come off during the course of a round or practice session.

alternately...I keep a tide stick in the desk drawer for make-up stains on other people's shirts (I'm a hugger).

and food stains. I blame the guys because they're slobs. but so am I.

Wow--you're scouring old threads, aren't you?

I'd probably look ridiculous if I wore ladies' makeup while golfing, but I might have to give face paint a try...Ultimate Warrior look maybe?

Back