can bounce really be versatile on one club like scor?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Iknow some threads on the forum discuss Scor but didnt find this topic in specific and another recent thread with mention of bounce sparked my curiosity..

I'm not debating wether or not they are good or bad clubs or weather or not they actually work. Just that i fail to understand if it really possible to have a so called "versatile bounce" with the same club. Bounce is what it is. The way understand it, A direct relation in measurement between ground contact point to the leading edge of a given clubs distance off the ground.

How I'm viewing this in my twisted little mind lol.....No matter if the club is rounded or v shaped, the contact point is still the contact point and therefore the club can have only one real bounce angle. The only thing I can think of that possibly changes that would be nothing more than ball placement in ones stance and/or just how steep or flat ones swing is. Doesnt change the actual club bounce but it does change the bounce angle at impact only because the leading edge was rolled (or rotated) foward or back which now brings the leading edge closer to or further from the ground.

If i'm correct with above, This should be the case wether the sole is a v or round shaped. The only difference with the "v" is that it would seem the bottom point of the "v" will always be the contact point wether the club is rolled foward or back where as with a circular sole that contact point would actually move. All this can do (the "v" sole) is make it so the contact point stayed put but that still doesnt at all cahnge the bounce angle at adress and even at point of impact. If a club is rolled foward the leading edge comes down and the bounce angle sort of changes by default weather or not its rounded, oblong, or a 'V" or whatever.

Sorry to be so technical but thought was interesting and got me curious. I often can debate something I dont quite get in my mind and play devils advocate with myself till I am comfy with an answer. lol. Perhaps overthinking and something very simple i am missing and just wasted minutes of my and your lives.lol. Sorry but any takers with info thoughts on this to help straighten me out??

I hope someone can explain it so a simpleton like me can understand. All this bounce stuff totally confuddles me.

The SCOR clubs actually have 2 bounce angles.

From their website:

"The main part of the sole features what would be considered a low bounce – from 3-7 degrees – specific to each loft. This allows every SCOR4161 club to perform perfectly from the tightest lies.

But the leading 1/4 of the sole in each SCOR4161 features a distinctly high bounce to prevent digging in soft turf or on short shots. Combined, these two angles are always working together to make your short game performance better than it's ever been."

From their website:

"The main part of the sole features what would be considered a low bounce – from 3-7 degrees – specific to each loft. This allows every SCOR4161 club to perform perfectly from the tightest lies.

But the leading 1/4 of the sole in each SCOR4161 features a distinctly high bounce to prevent digging in soft turf or on short shots. Combined, these two angles are always working together to make your short game performance better than it's ever been."

I had a red one but the wheel fell off.

I think another option is to check out the ATV wedge I've had great luck with their versatile sole

From how I understand it, the bounce is variable depending on the face angle of the club. You're right in that if you keep the club face square, the bounce is the bounce and doesn't change. But open it up, and a different part of the sole contacts the ground, effectively changing the bounce angle... Hope that helps.

From how I understand it, the bounce is variable depending on the face angle of the club. You're right in that if you keep the club face square, the bounce is the bounce and doesn't change. But open it up, and a different part of the sole contacts the ground, effectively changing the bounce angle... Hope that helps.

This is pretty much it.

My first thought about bounce in regards to wedges goes to Cobra Trusty Rusty:
[h=2]Tri Bounce Sole with Scallop[/h]
us12tech-trusty-rusty-sole-exp.jpg

[h=4]Tri Bounce Sole with Scallop[/h] Optimizes performance by combining forgiving, high bounce design with versatile, low leading edge height.

I hope someone can explain it so a simpleton like me can understand. All this bounce stuff totally confuddles me.

I had a red one but the wheel fell off.

you lost me. :confused2:

Exactly.:act-up:

LOL Kobey, I here ya and thats funny.. I'm no expert at all and also is partially why I started this thread but If it helps here's a link to what I thought a good article explanantion thats few years old but good. http://blog.hirekogolf.com/2007/10/understanding-golf-club-bounce-angle/

From their website:

thats exactly what it is that I'm having an issue with. My debate is that there can only be one bounce angle. As stated in my open, Its the angle created between ground contact point and the distance of the clubs leading edge up from the ground. The only time it can change is when the club is rolled foward or back based on position at adress and/or impact which happens with any iron unless you had totaly flat bottom. Seems no matter how anyone or they try to slice it up the fact is that the lowest portion of the club in contact with the ground is what creates the bounce and the way I see it there can really only be one. Not two.

I thought I sort of mentioned very similar to what you say but I also said that this would happen with any iron and not just this magical "v" shape sole of the scor. Roll any iron foward or back, open or close and it all changes for any iron. But for them to explain two different distinct sets of bounce angles is something I have hard time seeing as possible or any different then any other club wether it a "v" or circular, whatever.

For what it is worth, I found my J40 wedges much mor versatile than my eidolon wedges. I didn't think the v sole worked well when opened up, seemed easy to thin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rollin. I am curious if you spent time with the SCOR wedges that are being discussed here?

Rollin. I am curious if you spent time with the SCOR wedges that are being discussed here?

JB I have not and as stated I'm not trying to knock them if thats what you maybe thought. I find more better reviews and articles and posts than negative ones. I'm just trying to understand the geometry of it much more than anything else. I just found the idea of the hole "v" sole thing with 2 bounce angles interesting and was trying to figure it out. I'd be asking the same question to try to understand it better even if this was something not related to golf. My mind sometimes works that way as though I need to figure out something I find interesting. i'll say to myself "hmmm, I wonder how or why this works" or I may say " hey, this doesnt make sense to me"

I actually want to try out one as I search for a Lob wedge. Truth is if they work well I'll consider it wether or not the whole 2 bounce idea ever makes any sense to me or not. Of course its bit too expensive for me at well over a hundred per club but may still consider it. Would want to check it out anyway but havnt seen any at places i was at while searching for my other clubs.

Wasnt about wether good or bad but just about this idea of 2 bounce angles doesnt make sense to me as I noted and hopefully I explained why it doesnt make sense to me.

That is not why I asked buddy. I was genuinely curious. I find that as soon as people try the SCOR wedge, they immediately see what the differences are. Good, bad or indifferent, the differences stand out as one sets up for their shot.

For what it is worth, I found my J40 wedges much mor versatile than my eidolon wedges. I didn't think the v sole worked well when opened up, seemed easy to thin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i found the j40 wedges to be very versatile. they have a variable bounce as well

I here ya JB and truth is even if I ever end up with one it would still bother me if it didnt make sense. It wouldnt bother my golf game and if works would help me and make me happy but it would bother my minds interest in how what I've asked is really possible. Sound looney but I know LOL

i found the j40 wedges to be very versatile. they have a variable bounce as well

Right, but the bounce seems to be more rounded compared to the V-sole on the Scor/Eidolons.

That is not why I asked buddy. I was genuinely curious. I find that as soon as people try the SCOR wedge, they immediately see what the differences are. Good, bad or indifferent, the differences stand out as one sets up for their shot.

Maybe that's it. We need to actually see how they interact with the turf to understand them.

No it's simple. There is less bounce along the lead edge and more as you lay it open.

... and seeing how it interacts with turf won't help you understand. Playing with variable bounce gives you turf interaction thats hard to describe, its just right for the shot lie you want to play and will have you knocking down pins out of the sand.

OK but as i wondered previously wouldnt that still be true of most any wedge.

So you have to open the SCOR's up for different lies? I've been reading up on them and I haven't found that anywhere. I thought the v-sole somehow compensated for whatever lie you had. My head hurts now.

I own 2 Scor wedges and I would have to describe them in a different way to the way the company does. I don't really think they have a dual bounce sole, I think they are low bounce soles with the front edge bevelled to prevent the clubs from digging. Anyway, they certainly work in a variety of lies better (for me) than standard wedge soles do.

Back