Taylor Made Burner Irons '09

Kmac

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Thought Id share my opinions of the Buners now that Ive had them a few weeks and put a few rounds on them. Wow. These clubs hit the ball and FAR. Im loving the distance first and foremost. Very forgiving on mishits, specially seem to forgive on thin shots.

I did have one little issue at first. I got the clubs a couple weeks ago and somehow played a round and never took out my 8 iron. Dont ask. Then Im at the drivning range and pull out the 8. I noticed when I pulled it out of my bag something felt...loose or strange. Almost felt like the shaft was broken. So I started to look the club over and noticed that the head was falling off. So pulled a little on it and sure enough it came right off. One of the club pro's was hitting on the range too and I ask him about it. He said the glue probably just didnt dry right and that it could be fixed pretty easily. Damn good thing I didnt hit a ball before noticing that. So I think TM might have a little QC issue. But it was fixed by GG very easily.

So other then the loose head Im loving the Burner '09 irons. They do hit a lot further then my Ping G10's. Feel is not as good but Im ok with that. I have had a little trouble with the longer 4 iron but Im working on getting used to it. So if you are looking for some game improvement irons that add distance do check them out.

Next up as I go through my bag and replace stuff is my new See More putter!

They are nice clubs.My only beef with them is how strong the lofts are.And why are the playing lengths so much longer?

Yeah the lofts are very strong! I hit a 5 iron over a green and couldnt believe it! Not sure but I think it has to do with them making "each club its own club" type of deal. It does take some getting used to on the longer irons though.

Kevin™;116526 said:
Yeah the lofts are very strong! I hit a 5 iron over a green and couldnt believe it! Not sure but I think it has to do with them making "each club its own club" type of deal. It does take some getting used to on the longer irons though.

That's because your old Ping G10 5 iron was 37.75" long and had a loft of 27.0°. Your new TM Burner's 5 iron is 38.25" long and has 24° of loft. Your new 6 iron is comparable to length and loft to your old 5 iron.

Thanks Kevin. I haven't actually swung these clubs yet, but they sound very intruiging. The lofts are strong and shaft length is long. I agree with bonk. It's a numbering issue. The stock 4-AW replaces the more traditional 3-PW. More and more companies are moving in this direction.

For me, this setup would work great. I currently carry a 3H and 4H. I have to carry a 4I also because there is too much of a gap between my 4H and 5I. So I don't carry a GW or AW. The Burner set would enable me to replace my 4-PW with 5-AW. The extra gap in distances would get the new 5I closer in distance to my 4H and allow me to add the 50* AW which I know would help my scoring.

For my game, a new set of irons would come down to these (more forgiveness) or the Adams A4 (more traditional), which has a similar setup, with longer long-iron shafts and a GW. The more I play, the more convinced I become that forgiveness trumps workability.

That's because your old Ping G10 5 iron was 37.75" long and had a loft of 27.0°. Your new TM Burner's 5 iron is 38.25" long and has 24° of loft. Your new 6 iron is comparable to length and loft to your old 5 iron.

Isn't that funny how that trick actually works? People are amazed how much longer they hit their new "8" iron. Well, it's just a 7 with 8 stamped on the bottom. At the rate we're going, people will have 6 wedges pretty soon! :D

I like to throw this out there whenever possible.
It comes from: http://www.leaderboard.com/GLOSSARY_DISTANCETABLE

dolfdistancetable.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin. I haven't actually swung these clubs yet, but they sound very intruiging. The lofts are strong and shaft length is long. I agree with bonk. It's a numbering issue. The stock 4-AW replaces the more traditional 3-PW. More and more companies are moving in this direction.

For me, this setup would work great. I currently carry a 3H and 4H. I have to carry a 4I also because there is too much of a gap between my 4H and 5I. So I don't carry a GW or AW. The Burner set would enable me to replace my 4-PW with 5-AW. The extra gap in distances would get the new 5I closer in distance to my 4H and allow me to add the 50* AW which I know would help my scoring.

For my game, a new set of irons would come down to these (more forgiveness) or the Adams A4 (more traditional), which has a similar setup, with longer long-iron shafts and a GW. The more I play, the more convinced I become that forgiveness trumps workability.

You'll be very happy with the Burners if you seek a bit more distance.

That's just a general rule, mine are pretty close but not exactly either.

I like to throw this out there whenever possible.
It comes from: http://www.leaderboard.com/GLOSSARY_DISTANCETABLE

dolfdistancetable.jpg

Okay, I'm no physicalist or rocket scyentist, so bare with me...

Is it possible that lofts have changed in order to compensate for technilogical advances in club design? That is, today's clubs (cavity-back, perimeter weighting, etc.) make it much easier to get the ball up. With the weight in the bottom back of the club, the ball is going to have an increased upward flight. With traditional blades of the pre-1960s, that is something that was accomplished with loft. If lofts did not change, ball trajectory would be far too high.

Some will point to longer distances, but I don't think you can do an apples-to-apples comparison because shafts have improved, balls have changed significantly, and professional golfers are fitter than previously and have more technology at their disposal to improve their mechanics for distance.

So, isn't it possible that the change in loft has little to do with manufacturers simply wanting to increase distance claims?

Harry,
After reading that, I took it to two major club makers and they said you are 100% correct. That it is not about making a club "the longest club" but more about ease of use, and shaft and ball technology.

Makes perfect sense. Irons today (especially game improvement irons) have the COG much lower and further back. All things equal, they are going to hit the ball much higher than irons of the past. So it makes sense to lower lofts to get the same ball flight we use to get. If one of the by-products of that is ease of use and longer distances, all the better. I'm all for new technology.

So, isn't it possible that the change in loft has little to do with manufacturers simply wanting to increase distance claims?

That's a good point Harry, never thought of that. But the chart is comparing different eras, not year to year. Surely not ALL of the delofting is due to better craftsmanship? Maybe they do want to fudge, just a little?

At any rate, very good point and good investigating JB. I love the fact that you can put something out there on this site and people check into it so quickly.

Very interesting stuff. I knew what the Burners were before I got them from reading and they are exactly what I wanted. I also think theres a lot more in these clubs then JUST a cranked up loft.

You are 100% right Kevin. Great irons.

Back