Anyone played a course without bunkers?

Has anyone played a course without bunkers and if so did you feel short changed?

Subject to weather I will be playing a new course this month but they have no bunkers! It's a 9 hole par 35 course. Not too sure what to make of the lack of bunkers!? On the upside, at least I won't get that sinking feeling as I approach the green only to see my ball buried in a deep bunker! ;)
We only have 7 , I'm not complaining

There's a course nearby that has 3-4 bunkers. I played it when it only had one. It is terrrrrrible and just super-ugly.

i played a fairly short course a few years ago, where the only sand was on the greens. yeah, the greens weren't grass. first time i'd had seen a course without bunkers, and a course with sand greens. it was weird.

the payment system was actually quite weird too- a mail-box type post, fill out a form of how many people are in your group, put your greens fees in the envelope with the form, drop it in the slot, go play. honor still has a chance in this world!

Golfers aren't thieves, just liars.

We only have 13 on the course, something to do with planning laws and the only problem I have is when I play somewhere else that has lots more!

Nope, never played a course without bunkers, and not sure I would enjoy it to be honest if I did play one

One of the course round here that I have played has 11 bunkers in the first 2 holes!!

I have played some crappy Par 3 courses with no bunkers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Well it seems this bunker free course isn't as easy or boring as I was led to believe! Many of the fairways slope from left to right or right to left, meaning that tee shots need good placement, the fairways are fairly narrow, with a few doglegs and the rough is penal. Lastly, the very slick greens are often protected by transverse ditches, which play like bunkers to some extent! Haven't played there yet just read their web site! Looks interesting!!

No Bunkers? How would I find my ball?

I've just booked my flight :D

Sweet! Let me know when and I'll join you, provided it's not on a Summer afternoon. I need shade in the summer! :bananadance:

I have played on a course where bunkers were even with the ground with no dip and it was a joke!

I grew up playing a few par 3 courses that had only 1 or 2 bunkers, but one of them stopped paying attention to the sand and they have since become weeded depressions. A par 72 course i frequented years ago had only 2 bunkers, but they were in a location that they were almost impossible to hit. No sand does seem a bit odd, but only visually. I am used to seeing sand near the greens at least.

haha I would love to play a course without bunkers for once, It would be a nice improvement on my score to stay out of the sand haha

Well it seems this bunker free course isn't as easy or boring as I was led to believe! Many of the fairways slope from left to right or right to left, meaning that tee shots need good placement, the fairways are fairly narrow, with a few doglegs and the rough is penal. Lastly, the very slick greens are often protected by transverse ditches, which play like bunkers to some extent! Haven't played there yet just read their web site! Looks interesting!!

That sounds fairly similar to the one that I was describing. Toss in water on about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the holes and pair that with the fact that the slope brings you to the water and it definitely can be challenging. Well, it's at least more difficult that one would think if it were described to you and you just looked at a satellite picture.

I think all kinds of courses can be fun.

Has anyone played a course without bunkers and if so did you feel short changed?

Subject to weather I will be playing a new course this month but they have no bunkers! It's a 9 hole par 35 course. Not too sure what to make of the lack of bunkers!? On the upside, at least I won't get that sinking feeling as I approach the green only to see my ball buried in a deep bunker! ;)

its not Woodford by any chance I'm a member there and we don't have bunkers, it's hard enough without them what with thick forest all around just 10ft from the fairways on all holes, small greens with some of the toughest putts in Essex.

I played a 27 hole muni in Grand Prairie TX about 15 years ago. It was a nice course and it had zero bunkers. I think it was a boost to speed up play.

Lake Arlington in Arlington TX has zero bunkers and is a nice muni track. From what I have been told it used to have 25+ bunkers several years back. In exchange of the bunkers, there are waste areas and some really heavy rough that will penalize you for wayward shots. It happens to be one of my favorite muni tracks to play, but the lack of practice of playing out of sand could definitely penalize someone if they only played here....

its not Woodford by any chance I'm a member there and we don't have bunkers, it's hard enough without them what with thick forest all around just 10ft from the fairways on all holes, small greens with some of the toughest putts in Essex.

Yes it is!

Never seen or played one but I am sure they are out there and are lower level courses!

I have played one. The course I learned to play golf on has no bunkers and is barely over 4000 yards, full par 70. I still play there occasionally. I've been under par on both nines multiple times but never have strung em together for a round under par.

THPing on Tapatalk

A course without bunkers? Really? Such a thing exists?

Hmmm....a golf course without bunkers is like a cheese pizza. The first 2 bites are pretty good....then it's just boring.

A course without bunkers? Really? Such a thing exists?

Hmmm....a golf course without bunkers is like a cheese pizza. The first 2 bites are pretty good....then it's just boring.

I've played an extremely annoying course with only grass bunkers that were quite gnarly... Does that count as boring as well? It was infuriating. Sand is much better.

If you always hit it straight bunkers are irrelevant though :alien:

THPing on Tapatalk

Nope. For whatever reason my current home course has no bunkers at all. It makes up for it with 10 water carries @#$&^@#.

I've never stressed over bunkers because I rarely land in them on courses that have them. I stress over water because I believe it's got a natural magnetic attraction to my personal golf balls.

I've played a course that had about 1 bunker every two holes and it was always in some weird spot that nobody would even hit near...just for looks I suppose.

I played a course last year that had only one bunker on the entire 18, and it was a fairway bunker so far out of the way it's not even really in play. As much as I hate being in bunkers, I did feel a little short-changed. For one, they are just a part of golf that make navigating a course fun and challenging. They can also add to the aesthetic beauty of a course, in my opinion. So overall, I was not a fan of the bunker-less design.

My home course has no bunkers.

Might change courses next year.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Back