DawgDaddy

Old Coot
Reaction score
Handicap
L.O.F.T.
Very tragic loss. One of the best players of all time and a Cardinal legend.

RIP

TapaTalk from the iPhone

One of my families favorite players of all time. Still remember sitting around the table as a child hearing my grandpa telling stories about Stan the Man. RIP and go Redbirds!

This one stings. The game of baseball lost a great player. More importantly, the world lost a great man. Here's a story about the respect Missourians have for Stan The Man.

I was about 13 years old and we used to buy the nosebleed seats at Old Busch, and I would sneak down to field level and get autographs. Well, I had been down there pre-game, working the visitors dugout getting autographs from the Florida Marlins. I finally got everyone I had wanted to get, so I decided to just stand down there and watch the players warm up. Well, I had drifted a bit and found myself almost directly behind homeplate and a few rows off the field. I looked over, and standing right beside me was Stan Musial, in his bright red blazer. I didn't even ask for an autograph, I just counted it as a true blessing to be in the presence of such a great player. He looked at me and said hi and I think I was able to get hi out in return. I went on about my way. I still get giddy just thinking about that to this day.

He will always and forever, be baseballs perfect warrior. Rest in peace, Stan. The Cardinals love you for everything you have done for us.

This one stings. The game of baseball lost a great player. More importantly, the world lost a great man. Here's a story about the respect Missourians have for Stan The Man.

I was about 13 years old and we used to buy the nosebleed seats at Old Busch, and I would sneak down to field level and get autographs. Well, I had been down there pre-game, working the visitors dugout getting autographs from the Florida Marlins. I finally got everyone I had wanted to get, so I decided to just stand down there and watch the players warm up. Well, I had drifted a bit and found myself almost directly behind homeplate and a few rows off the field. I looked over, and standing right beside me was Stan Musial, in his bright red blazer. I didn't even ask for an autograph, I just counted it as a true blessing to be in the presence of such a great player. He looked at me and said hi and I think I was able to get hi out in return. I went on about my way. I still get giddy just thinking about that to this day.

He will always and forever, be baseballs perfect warrior. Rest in peace, Stan. The Cardinals love you for everything you have done for us.

Amazingly put

TapaTalk from the iPhone

I didn't realize he passed, knew he was not in the best of health. My memories of Stan's play go all the way back to the stadium at Grand and Dodier in North St. Louis city. That is 3 stadiums back counting the current new home of the Cards. That is where he played in his prime, I saw him up close and personal many times at that friendly ball park, used to get their for start of batting practice, autographs no problem just yell and Stan used to throw my mom balls, most of the time she could not catch them, but he made sure to keep tossing them in the stands until she caught one. Also got to see Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente, Willy Mays, Mantle and many more old greats show their great talents at that old ball park. I even got to enjoy the thrill of playing a city championship 8th grade game at that old stadium, batting practice was solid and for me was a rush but the opposing pitcher in that game didn't give me much to work with other than sharp 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock drops. I knew fast balls and curve balls but that dudes drop was money and he got me to hit mostly ground balls. Rest in peace #6.

That middle tweet was awesome
a3a2enym.jpg

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Stan the Man. RIP.

Baseball has lost a great ball player. RIP

Perfect. If there was a Hall of Fame of life in general, he would be there.

What a stud. Classy guy and amazing ball player.

Sorry.. So many awesome ones haha
ejyvasyp.jpg

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Just looking at some some stats. Musial struck out 696 times in a 22 year career. Ryan Braun has struck out 686 times in a 6 year career. That is nuts.

Just looking at some some stats. Musial struck out 696 times in a 22 year career. Ryan Braun has struck out 686 times in a 6 year career. That is nuts.

A couple years ago Mark Reynolds struck out 232 times haha

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Missed the entire 1945 season serving in the military. Kids today wouldn't know what to think of a player like this. He is the true definition of a hero and role model. We need more of him.

A great legend and a great man. He will be missed.

doc

Missed the entire 1945 season serving in the military. Kids today wouldn't know what to think of a player like this. He is the true definition of a hero and role model. We need more of him.

And won MVP and the World Series the next year

TapaTalk from the iPhone

And won MVP and the World Series the next year

TapaTalk from the iPhone

You really don't know how great of a player this guy was, until you really dig into the stats and look at what he accomplished and when he did it. Some of these numbers and stats are just nuts. He was 42 years old and hit .255. There are guys that are 22 years old with huge contracts, that can't hit .255 if their life depended on it.

Reminds me of a convo with my Gramps when I was collecting baseball cards about 25 years ago...

Gramps: so, you're starting to collect cards?
Me: yeah.
Gramps: I used to. I think I have Mickey Mantle.
Me: what? No way! You have Mickey Mantle?

A few weeks later after checking...

Gramps: I was wrong, it's Stan Musial.
Me: YOU HAVE STAN MUSIAL????

Reminds me of a convo with my Gramps when I was collecting baseball cards about 25 years ago...

Gramps: so, you're starting to collect cards?
Me: yeah.
Gramps: I used to. I think I have Mickey Mantle.
Me: what? No way! You have Mickey Mantle?

A few weeks later after checking...

Gramps: I was wrong, it's Stan Musial.
Me: YOU HAVE STAN MUSIAL????

Hoping you still have it.

Couldn't scrip it much better. The night St. Louis loses its beloved #6, the Blues hang 6 goals on the Red Wings in St. Louis tonight.

46316_10151371279763216_422494426_n.jpg

One of the best ever. Met him a couple of times in Stl and one of the nicest people you could meet. Would talk to you like you were his longtime friend. Hopefully, my son will appreciate his signed ball as much as I have.

Back