Taylormade performance lab- rip off?

kits013

Reaction score
Handicap
Recently I have been to the nearest TML and got myself a huge hole on my wallet... I used to have rbz w fubuki , mizuno mp58 w stock shaft. The pro fitted me with r11s driver tp, rbz tp 3,5 woods, and MC irons. All equipped with the most expensive shaft in the market. Diamana Ahina , kbs c taper. Ok, here's my questions 1. Is it necessary to use tp version on my clubs? Pls correct me if I was wrong, I thought the only difference in tp clubs are the shaft! (Except the r9 tp ) If its true, what's the point of charging me an extra $150 per club 2. I understand that these are high performance shaft, but I actually have decreased my performance. Anybody has got to a custom fitting and got worst?

If you wasn't happy why did you order them?

I don't understand how a custom fitting could give you worse results. If the results weren't there, obviously that wasn't the club/shaft for you.

The fitter might believe that the TP shaft (heavier in general) gave you a better ball flight.

I know that whenever I get a new club, I take the old club and cut the grip off of it. I don't want to think about the green grass over the fence. Trust the fitter and work with the new gear.

Or don't, you can do what you want.

I thought it would take some time to get comfortable w new clubs and the fitting really convinced me that it was necessary. I didn't take the wedge, putter, and hybrid tho.
Another question, what's the difference between rbz and r11s if I use the stock setting.

The fitter might believe that the TP shaft (heavier in general) gave you a better ball flight.

I know that whenever I get a new club, I take the old club and cut the grip off of it. I don't want to think about the green grass over the fence. Trust the fitter and work with the new gear.

Or don't, you can do what you want.

but the fitter upgrades the clubs to another shaft! So y didn't he just get me THAT shaft on a normal r11s so I could save 150.

but the fitter upgrades the clubs to another shaft! So y didn't he just get me THAT shaft on a normal r11s so I could save 150.

Because the shaft is what costs the extra $150. You pay the same price if you used as standard stamped head with the TP shaft. But now you get the fancy logo on the clubhead and headcover

Because the shaft is what costs the extra $150. You pay the same price if you used as standard stamped head with the TP shaft. But now you get the fancy logo on the clubhead and headcover
And the head cover has to be well worth it?

And the head cover has to be well worth it?

Well the tp logo is pretty prevalent. That way everybody knows you're a good golfer.

Actually, if I remember correctly, the Diamana shafts were an upcharge over and above the TP shafts with TaylorMade. So if it makes you happier to think about it that way, then the Diamana shaft was a $250 upgrade over the regular R11S shaft. Not out of line since the shaft itself is $360 retail.

Now if you're not happy or don't understand why you were fitted for something, the fitter is the only one who can help you with those issues.

I don't want to go overboard.

If you get a tour issue TaylorMade club, your handicap automatically goes down by 4 strokes. That as why so many people want them.

Actually, if I remember correctly, the Diamana shafts were an upcharge over and above the TP shafts with TaylorMade. So if it makes you happier to think about it that way, then the Diamana shaft was a $250 upgrade over the regular R11S shaft. Not out of line since the shaft itself is $360 retail.Now if you're not happy or don't understand why you were fitted for something, the fitter is the only one who can help you with those issues.
Thank you, I guess that's the answer I needed.

did you have to get the equipment through the fitter? My fitter gave me a detailed write-up of club recommendations (Lie/Loft/length) and if i wanted to get it through them i could, or go another route.

Pretty surprised you got a real in-depth fitting and it didn't work out for you. I haven't heard of that happening too much.

Pretty surprised you got a real in-depth fitting and it didn't work out for you. I haven't heard of that happening too much.

Agreed. There isn't much in this thread that adds up.

Because fitters are fitters, and salesmen.

TTing

This!! If you don't go to a fitter you can trust and feel confident in then I wouldn't go. Not only that I feel you should be just as educated as they are about the numbers so the can't fool you. All you need is the equipment for the numbers and them to order what you want.

With all due respect to the OP all the custom fitting in the world won't improve your game if you don't have the fundamentals of a good swing. Not questioning your ability.

This has me concerned. I had been thinking of visiting the nearest TM lab. My issue here is I dont have a true fitter.

This has me concerned. I had been thinking of visiting the nearest TM lab. My issue here is I dont have a true fitter.

Bring your current clubs with you and say that you want to make sure you are getting something that is actually BETTER for you than you currently have. I wouldn't do business with any fitter that wouldn't let me compare anything to my current clubs (and couldn't tell me what about my current clubs do not fit me)

Bring your current clubs with you and say that you want to make sure you are getting something that is actually BETTER for you than you currently have. I wouldn't do business with any fitter that wouldn't let me compare anything to my current clubs (and couldn't tell me what about my current clubs do not fit me)

If you don't bring your current clubs in as a baseline, you're essentially doing a science experiment without a control group.

Back