4-wood: does anyone use one

I wasn't able to get numbers today because the PGA Superstore for some odd reason had NONE of the new equipment to hit which really surprised me. They had the xhot to buy but not hit.

That's kind of odd. I'd love to hear some numbers if you do get a chance to test. The XCG4 is a pretty good all around fairway wood. The CB4 might be longer but seemingly is not as forgiving.

That's kind of odd. I'd love to hear some numbers if you do get a chance to test. The XCG4 is a pretty good all around fairway wood. The CB4 might be longer but seemingly is not as forgiving.

Ya it was very weird. I was shocked when they said that.

I'm not sure the CB4 is longer it is more workable, smaller head, and delivers a more boring, lower ball flight.

ryebread are you considering a move to the XCG-4 line over your current Trilogy line. I may be barking up the wrong tree here just a hunch.

With all the variations in club specs, I wouldn't know how to define the length and loft of a 4 wood.

I haven't carried one in the past, but I will be this year instead of a 3 wood. Can't wait.

majBC: Nice guess, but no. I'm happy where I'm at with the Trilogy line. They might not be the longest FWs, but it's hard to argue with how easy they are to use regardless of lie.

The reason I'm asking about the XCG4 vs. X Hot is to get some real comparative numbers about the X Hot. I actually thought the XCG4 was longer than the XCG5. I think the XCG5 was a bit easier to get up in the air, but suffered some on distance. If the X Hot can outperform a XCG4, then Callaway has got something.

I think Joshn08 with his 3.4 handicap is probably a consistent enough ball striker to actually give a good comparison. I understand that the numbers would only apply to his swing and that the relative fitment will impact it, but I am curious. No pressure Joshn08!

ryebread I think you're a callaway homer! not that theres anything wrong with that. I guess I'm a bit of a Cleveland homer though.

majBC: You're probably right. I think Callaway doesn't get enough credit for the quality of product they put out top to bottom. If I were to rate my top 3 OEMs in each category, Callaway would show up in pretty much every category. I suspect you'd say the same about Cleveland. ;)

The X Hots look like this year's RBZ to me. I wasn't expecting much initially, but the reviews are pretty impressive. Can they take down the XCG4?

Having said all that, I'm not in the market for a FW wood. I'm pretty happy where I'm at on the fairways. I am interested to see what Tour Edge does with their successor to the Xrail. The Xrail didn't seem (to me) to be a big improvement over the Trilogy, but if they go with a hotter club (e.g. TI) while keeping the Ginty sole, then I'd be very interested.

Last edited:
majBC: You're probably right. I think Callaway doesn't get enough credit for the quality of product they put out top to bottom. If I were to rate my top 3 OEMs in each category, Callaway would show up in pretty much every category. I suspect you'd say the same about Cleveland. ;)

The X Hots look like this year's RBZ to me. I wasn't expecting much initially, but the reviews are pretty impressive. Can they take down the XCG4?

Having said all that, I'm not in the market for a FW wood. I'm pretty happy where I'm at on the fairways. I am interested to see what Tour Edge does with their successor to the Xrail. The Xrail didn't seem (to me) to be a big improvement over the Trilogy, but if they go with a hotter club (e.g. TI) while keeping the Ginty sole, then I'd be very interested.

I'll get some numbers for you tomorrow man. I'll be down next to Golfsmith and PGA

I'm looking at the Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Wood. Loft it up to a $ Wood. I hit this better then any 3 Wood at PGA SS.

Callaway X2Hot 4-wood. It's a monster. For me, it's as long as any 3-wood off the deck, and maybe just a little shorter off the tee. Also just stupidly easy to hit.

Yep, I find carrying a 4-wood to be superior to having a 3 wood and a 5 wood in the bag. 913F is my favorite one but honestly I haven't tried that many.

Heck Yeah I do! Callaway XHot, keeps me honest and in play (usually) off the tee.

I am using a SLDR H

I actually have 2 in the bag right now. The G25 is a monster off the tee while the J40 works for me off the deck, out of the rough and is easier to work.

Taylormade Burner Superfast 16.5* , if I have to hit straight with trouble all around this is my go too club

LOVE my R11 TP 4-wood. its a great club. the 4 wood out performs for me way better then the 3-5 wooders

G20 4 wood for me, easy off the deck and my go to off the tee when my driver goes haywire.

Been using a Taylormade R9 4 wood for several years. I haven't found anything that will beat it of off the tee and off the deck.

I've carried a 16*-17* fairway wood of some sort for a number of seasons. Currently game a Bridgestone J40. I can hit it high or low, make it go left or right. Love that club. It's the most versatile club in my bag.

I carry a TEE XCG3 4 wood for a few years now and don't see it coming out any time soon.

Just picked up a bio cell 3-4 wood for a great deal, plan on setting it at the highest loft and playing it as a 4 wood. Too bad I have to wait until April to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a bio cell 3-5 wood at 15.5 and love it. Also have a Bridgestone 4 wood and a callaway optiforce 4 wood. I love them. The bio cell and the optiforce are the main two i bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess mine quaifies as a 3/4 wood at 16*. I was thinking of adding at 13*,17* but the set up I have now works fine

Callaway X2Hot 4-wood. It's a monster. For me, it's as long as any 3-wood off the deck, and maybe just a little shorter off the tee. Also just stupidly easy to hit.

I just changed over my bad this past month.

I too now have the Callaway X2 Hot 4 wood - along with the X2 Hot 3 & 4 Hybrid.

Haven't been able to play them yet due to cold weather, but can't wait to get this spring!

Back