Fitting suggestions?

golfinFF

Reaction score
Handicap
21.9 oob
I have a fitting scheduled tomorrow afternoon. I was only gonna do a driver and shaft fitting, but after talking to the fitter we are gonna do a full fitting tomorrow. My fitter sells Ping, Titleist, Nike and Callaway, I know he doesn't have the largest selection of manufacturers but after talking to him I believe he will be able to get me in clubs that will perform for me.

Are there any suggestions on how to handle a fitting? This will be my first time as I've always gone club shopping based on price and what I hit best in what I was willing to spend.

I have a fitting scheduled tomorrow afternoon. I was only gonna do a driver and shaft fitting, but after talking to the fitter we are gonna do a full fitting tomorrow. My fitter sells Ping, Titleist, Nike and Callaway, I know he doesn't have the largest selection of manufacturers but after talking to him I believe he will be able to get me in clubs that will perform for me.

Are there any suggestions on how to handle a fitting? This will be my first time as I've always gone club shopping based on price and what I hit best in what I was willing to spend.

I'd focus less on clubhead and really push hard to have him fit you for a particular iron shaft.. I know you're going to get the proper length/lie treatment, but I hope he's got the Mizuno shaft optimizer and a sim where you can hit a variety of shafts to see what your optimum numbers are.

Where are you going? Somewhere up in Dayton?

Just make sure to take your current clubs to hit as a warm up and so you get baseline numbers. This will not only help you know how you hit them currently, they will help give you an idea of how accurate the fitting technology is you are using. After that, just try to trust your fitter and let the numbers decide for you.

He does have all the fitting carts for each manufacturer and a ton of shafts on hand. I will be doing a lot on the sim and weather co-operating some outside as well.

I am getting it done at North Dayton Golf Academy in Clayton just north west of Dayton.

Just make sure to take your current clubs to hit as a warm up and so you get baseline numbers. This will not only help you know how you hit them currently, they will help give you an idea of how accurate the fitting technology is you are using. After that, just try to trust your fitter and let the numbers decide for you.

Thanks I will be taking two sets of irons ironically as I just bought a set of ci-11's from a member here and haven't gotten a chance to game them yet. So those and my old burner plus irons are coming with as I now the burner distances.

He does have all the fitting carts for each manufacturer and a ton of shafts on hand. I will be doing a lot on the sim and weather co-operating some outside as well.

I am getting it done at North Dayton Golf Academy in Clayton just north west of Dayton.

Sounds great man, I hope you share your experience with us!

I will definitely share my experience, this site has given me so much knowledge about the game, clubs and balls. I feel obligated in a good way to give back!

Don't spend to much time on each club. You can get tired out pretty quickly during a fitting swinging lots of different clubs. Be sure to take breaks between hitting when you can. Most of all enjoy it

I always encourage people to do a couple of things. First, don't commit to buy anything the day of the fitting. Get a top 2 or 3 or 4 and then go back and hit those selections again and see how they fare on a different day. To me, it's too big of a decision and investment to be based on one two hour session. It gets tiring and the swings can start to go downhill. Second, try and hit your top choices outside to look at ball flight to see if that is what you want. Someone could tell me the launch angle is X and the descent is Y, but I have no idea what that means unless I see path the ball is traveling. Plus hitting inside on a mat can be easy and mask some mistakes and the actually results might be different when outside on grass.

Thanks all for the great tips so far I will let you all know how tomorrow turns out for me.

Well my fitting got canceled today due to a software being buggy and unable to track shaft and results. Hit the range for a large bucket and used the indoor putting green for a half hr.

Well my fitting got canceled today due to a software being buggy and unable to track shaft and results. Hit the range for a large bucket and used the indoor putting green for a half hr.

That really sucks to hear -__-
I hope you can get that fitting soon and hopefully it'll go awesome. Best of luck sir.
Respectfully, Manuel M.

My fitting is rescheduled for March 5, I'm really looking forward to it.

Go with a open mind try everything twice, then go back and try what felt best again and again. Dont let looks get into your head try everything on merit and come away with what feels and plays how you want it to.

Go with a open mind try everything twice, then go back and try what felt best again and again. Dont let looks get into your head try everything on merit and come away with what feels and plays how you want it to.

I plan on it not sure how much I can afford to change at the moment but driver/shaft and 5wd/shaft are my targets right now. I'm doing an iron fitting as well but will see what goes on at work and if I can afford those.

Get a top 2 or 3 or 4 and then go back and hit those selections again and see how they fare on a different day. To me, it's too big of a decision and investment to be based on one two hour session. It gets tiring and the swings can start to go downhill. Second, try and hit your top choices outside to look at ball flight to see if that is what you want. Someone could tell me the launch angle is X and the descent is Y, but I have no idea what that means unless I see path the ball is traveling. Plus hitting inside on a mat can be easy and mask some mistakes and the actually results might be different when outside on grass.

Sounds like a great idea, but how do you suggest hitting top choices again? A second fitting? It doesn't seem that easy to find people with the shaft/head combos he tried just so that he could hit them at a range, at least without paying for a second session. Demo clubs at shops and ranges have stock shafts so that won't give him the greatest comparison.

Anyway, hope your fitting goes well golfinFF! Looking forward to hearing about it.

Well my fitting is set for tomorrow morning looks like most of its gonna be inside as the weather has turned to crap and is raining/sleeting. I'm really excited for my 9 am fitting and will be the high point of my week for sure!

I'd focus less on clubhead and really push hard to have him fit you for a particular iron shaft.. I know you're going to get the proper length/lie treatment, but I hope he's got the Mizuno shaft optimizer and a sim where you can hit a variety of shafts to see what your optimum numbers are.

Where are you going? Somewhere up in Dayton?

I agree that the shaft is the most important part. I hit every brand possible but the local fitter here let me hit each iron with different shafts. It certainly helped me to understand which shaft worked best for me. To me that ended up being more important before I decided on what set of irons I wanted to get.

Well my fitting is set for tomorrow morning looks like most of its gonna be inside as the weather has turned to crap and is raining/sleeting. I'm really excited for my 9 am fitting and will be the high point of my week for sure!

Enjoy it tomorrow and I hope the weather holds up for you. I had a blast hitting at my fitting.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

So I just got home from my fitting and and I have learned a ton about what to look for when hitting new clubs and that I am not standard when it come to length/loft in irons and what a major impact it can have on accuracy, confidence and distance.

We started out with me hitting my irons which I bought slightly used from here a half inch short and 1* flat which after hitting off the lie board showed that I needed to be more upright. As well as the impact tape showing inconsistency on the club face. The numbers showed good spin but distance was definitely lacking.

Then I hit the G25 black dot out of the ping cart at standard length and hit is much more consistent on the face gained some distance about a club but was still showing too flat. So we switched shafts clubs again to a half inch longer and the difference was amazing my ability to find the center of the club face was almost perfect and I was averaging 20yds farther than the Ci11 7i. I was hitting the G25 7i an average of 192 with a couple reaching 200.

So we decided that a half inch longer than standard(1 inch longer than my current set up) was the best fit for me, Lie we are gonna double check after they have been lengthened but he was sure that it will not have to be adjusted because of the way adding length effects the lie.

My current driver (R9 10.5) I was hitting well but my launch angle was horrendous 18.3 club head speed 102 ball speed 145 carry 240 total 265

Nike covert 8.5 shaft KK LA 15.7 Club head 105 ball speed 146 spin 2300 carry 247 total 273

910 D3 8.5 shaft rip LA 15.2 club head 102 ball speed 145 spin 2150 carry 255 total 281

913 D3 8.5 shaft Diamana D+ white just barely out performed the 910 in total distance at 290 and spin was 2060 from what I remember.

My fitter Chris at NDGA was awesome he discussed everything he was doing and how the changes would effect ball flight, we talked about how I got started into golf how and why I ended up with my current set up. We talked about my swing briefly and he really like my driver swing and its path inside to out, I have some work to do on my irons but I think that will be easy once I get them to the proper length. We discussed my bag make up and ditching my 5wd for a 4wd and adding a hybrid in the 21-23 range and adding a 52 and changing out my 56. The idea for the 4wd over a 3 and 5 was cost is my main concern and the reason I hit the 910 demo he had as well as the the 910fd.

This one is getting long so I will continue here in a bit.

Excellent write up, sounds like a good fitting.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Wow, those are some big changes from when you walked in the door - sounds great. How did you decide which drivers to hit?

So I just got home from my fitting and and I have learned a ton about what to look for when hitting new clubs and that I am not standard when it come to length/loft in irons and what a major impact it can have on accuracy, confidence and distance.

We started out with me hitting my irons which I bought slightly used from here a half inch short and 1* flat which after hitting off the lie board showed that I needed to be more upright. As well as the impact tape showing inconsistency on the club face. The numbers showed good spin but distance was definitely lacking.

Then I hit the G25 black dot out of the ping cart at standard length and hit is much more consistent on the face gained some distance about a club but was still showing too flat. So we switched shafts clubs again to a half inch longer and the difference was amazing my ability to find the center of the club face was almost perfect and I was averaging 20yds farther than the Ci11 7i. I was hitting the G25 7i an average of 192 with a couple reaching 200.

So we decided that a half inch longer than standard(1 inch longer than my current set up) was the best fit for me, Lie we are gonna double check after they have been lengthened but he was sure that it will not have to be adjusted because of the way adding length effects the lie.

My current driver (R9 10.5) I was hitting well but my launch angle was horrendous 18.3 club head speed 102 ball speed 145 carry 240 total 265

Nike covert 8.5 shaft KK LA 15.7 Club head 105 ball speed 146 spin 2300 carry 247 total 273

910 D3 8.5 shaft rip LA 15.2 club head 102 ball speed 145 spin 2150 carry 255 total 281

913 D3 8.5 shaft Diamana D+ white just barely out performed the 910 in total distance at 290 and spin was 2060 from what I remember.

My fitter Chris at NDGA was awesome he discussed everything he was doing and how the changes would effect ball flight, we talked about how I got started into golf how and why I ended up with my current set up. We talked about my swing briefly and he really like my driver swing and its path inside to out, I have some work to do on my irons but I think that will be easy once I get them to the proper length. We discussed my bag make up and ditching my 5wd for a 4wd and adding a hybrid in the 21-23 range and adding a 52 and changing out my 56. The idea for the 4wd over a 3 and 5 was cost is my main concern and the reason I hit the 910 demo he had as well as the the 910fd.

This one is getting long so I will continue here in a bit.

Wow, those are some big changes from when you walked in the door - sounds great. How did you decide which drivers to hit?

The irons were pretty easy as I was really only looking to get them fit for me since I just got them. I really cant wait to see the numbers once they have been lengthened and re-gripped.

Driver was based off what he saw based on the numbers with my driver and his 40 yrs of experience. With the info we got from what I did try I think there is still some room to gain with some other shaft options but with my launch and spin numbers I'm not sure how much more I can squeeze out.

Curious.. Why did he have you hit the 910 and not the 913? The reason I am asking this, is I am pondering purchasing a 910 or a 913 to have as a back up driver, and was wondering if he had a reason for you hitting the 910.

Ok so here is the rest of my write up.

The Nike Covert I liked and it felt good just didn't perform for me as well as the 910 or 913. The Red crown wasn't distracting and the sound was good.

The 913d3 with the Diamana felt good sounded good and I like the smaller head and shape and it said just find the fairway. I had the best overall #'s with it but not much better than the 910d3. The 913 I only had a 6yd deviation with as well.

The 910 was very similar in sound and feel as the 913 but was not a big fan of the lighter weight of the Rip shaft. I think with the Diamana in it may out perform the 913 for me.

The 910fd was also very smooth sounded and felt great the numbers were good with the Diamana blue in it. We discussed that if/when I decide to make the move that we will put the same shaft in both driver and FWD and that would probably be the Diamana D+ White.

I was really hoping to just re-shaft me Driver and 5wd but after looking at the numbers of everything, I am really not sure that swapping out shafts would really be the right move.

So now i'm in a dilema with wanting to get some new clubs and some lessons but the unknown of work right now has me on hold.

Chris and I talked a little about lessons and a couple things he would like to see changed and he is confident that I could get to a low 80's player with ease this year since their were just a couple tweaks he sees. They were grip, stance alignment(probably due to me play a fade and power fade) and some balance issues.

Back