What Do Your Golf Balls Mean To You?

Diane

Reaction score
How far would you go to get your ball back? Would you climb a fence, go into someone's backyard or wade into water? What's the most extreme thing you've done to retrieve your ball?

Interesting title. They are important hehe.

As for golf balls, I am one of the few that takes a quick look then drops. It pains me when a group in front of me has all four players looking all through the woods. I take about 20 seconds and then drop.

My balls mean a lot to me, but it seems like I lost them a while back. :act-up:
Im like JB, I only look for a lost ball for a half minute tops, then I just move on. I usually lose 1 or 2 a round. I usually know right when I hit it if it is findable or not.
Ill help people look for their balls, but whats with the people who always go yards past where their ball went in and look for it. Its almost a guarantee that their arms will start flailing and they will never find it.

Well they go well with my putter, so in that respect they're important. When they get lost, minimal time is used to look for them.:banana:

Interesting title. They are important hehe.

As for golf balls, I am one of the few that takes a quick look then drops. It pains me when a group in front of me has all four players looking all through the woods. I take about 20 seconds and then drop.

Me too. I may be a bit more diligent if it's a brand new ball, or if I'm playing a tournament, but generally I don't waste a lot of time or effort with it otherwise. I carry a retriever, but I only use it when the ball is easy to see and reach. I don't fish for balls unless we have time to kill while waiting and I know that one of my playing companions will use the balls. I rarely use "found" balls so I don't generally fish out anything but my own ball.

I'm pretty good tracking the flight of my golf balls, so I rarely lose them. But if they fly just past a chain link fence or into some water, I'll make some effort to retrieve them, but won't spend more than a minute or so doing that.

One of my playing partners has a ball retriever that reaches some 12 feet or so. He's saved me a few bucks over the years.

If its really in the deep stuff i dont waste any time in looking,drop one and try again.

It seems like people in my group want to find my lost ball more than I do! I don't look too long unless I am waiting for my next shot anyway (I usually have a good idea of where it should be and if I can't find it quick I probably won't find it). I have gone over fences years ago (I will still jump the fence into my backyard if I am not near the gate but golf course fences are usually pretty high!) and I will still go into backyards to get a ball. If I see the ball on the other side of the fence and I drive by it on my way home, I'll stop and get it. I've never gone into water to get my ball although I have climbed down to an empty creek/ravine pick up a ball.

...Ill help people look for their balls, but whats with the people who always go yards past where their ball went in and look for it.

I agree Gasman, this drives me crazy. This is when you keep a watchful eye, find their ball for them and say "excuse me where you playing X ball. Ok, you are back here". :D

I do not spend a lot of time looking. If there is no one behind me I’ll maybe take a couple of minutes otherwise it is less than a minute and then it’s time to drop.

I lost mine when I got married but I'm getting them back via divorce lol

I try not to look too long but what bothers me the most is when you have a very good idea of where it landed, etc. but you still can't find it.

I don't spend much time looking, I'll make a quick loop where I think it should be and drop another. I will go into back yards to retrieve mine and as long as a fence is low enough that I can straddle it without climbing, I'll go over it.

I don't spend much time looking, I'll make a quick loop where I think it should be and drop another. I will go into back yards to retrieve mine and as long as a fence is low enough that I can straddle it without climbing, I'll go over it.

You must have very long legs MO.

He's 7 feet tall Diane. hehe

I think he's talking about the lower wood fences with like two rails.

I know, I've seen him do that AND go into someone's backyard at the same time! LOL I didn't have to climb the fence on that hole. I think I put mine in the water on the other side!

Ah - I was picturing a picket fence. :shock:

I know, I've seen him do that AND go into someone's backyard at the same time! LOL I didn't have to climb the fence on that hole. I think I put mine in the water on the other side!

"able to leap small fences with a single bound...."

That's the one, I've been in that yard so many times it's ridiculous. :D

Do you play from their yards? If so, that is awesome.

No I always hop the fence and bring it back into play. I would be pissed if somebody took a divot in my yard. I always mess with the newbies if they end up in the yard, I tell them to hop the fence and I will keep an eye out for the dog.haha It really isn't much of a fence, a white two board vinyl fence that I figure the course put up to keep people from actually driving their carts in to the yard.

No I always hop the fence and bring it back into play. I would be pissed if somebody took a divot in my yard.

Ya I wouldnt be to happy with a huge chunk taken out of my lawn either. I had a buddy blow up a M80 on my grass one time and I was pissed.

My balls mean everything to me :blob: :blob:

I love my balls.
I wash my balls.
I mark my balls with 3 black dots...
However - I will spend no more than 1 minute looking for my balls

Living in the desert with rattlesnakes changes your perspective. I will look for it if it is not OB, but I will not poke around underbrush, etc. for it. Too dangerous, not to mention that every plant in the desert has some sort of defense that is painful to humans.

Been there, done that. New Mexico is also bad for snakes. Even the non poisonous snakes are bad. I have some scars to prove it. :talktohand:

Living in the desert with rattlesnakes changes your perspective. I will look for it if it is not OB, but I will not poke around underbrush, etc. for it. Too dangerous, not to mention that every plant in the desert has some sort of defense that is painful to humans.

I dont look too hard for lost golfballs. I look for them for a minute or 2 and then pull another one out of the bag.
Thats why I prefer to play inexpensive golfballs ($20-$30 a dozen). That way, if I lose one, its no biggie.

Thats why I prefer to play inexpensive golfballs ($20-$30 a dozen).

LOL, I've been getting mine for 15 bucks for two dozen! Of course I'm cheap!

The most extreme I have ever seen occured about 2 weeks ago:

My dad and I were playing our club and when we got to our #2 hole we decided to get some balls. Well it is a rather long and difficult par 3 over water but due to the drought down here the water is now gone, so ppl have been hitting into the mud. Anyway I start to walk out into the center and in about 2 steps realize that what looked like at first was dry pond bed was in fact only solid for about 3-4in with VERY nasty mud underneath. Seriously it felt like walking on jello if you were paying attention. Anyway we stopped pronto and played on.

Now couple mins later we tee off #3 and notice a cart all by itself on the path next to #2's green, think nothing of it and continue play. When we come back to #7 a 3-par alongside of #2 we notice the same cart is there. Now we are really wondering. We go over and see a 70+ year old man stuck up to his belly button in the MIDDLE of the pond, and I mean stuck worse than a cow wallowing in a sinkhole. He had been there since we tee'd off at #3. He had started sinking, panicked and got himself even more stuck by himself, in the INSANE heat of South Texas, no water and exerting/panicking himself into a frenzy.

His face was completely white, and he was getting to point of heatstroke or even heat coma. Well my dad and I used our wedges to pull him out (drivers were too light/flexible/slippery) and he was rushed to emergency room. He kept saying "I was just gonna get my ball......" And all I could think to say was "Well if you ever run out of balls, here is my number call me and I will buy some for you because it ain't worth your life bud!"

Seriously my mind was blown, some ppl get a teeny little bit caught up in saving balls maybe, who knows, he is lucky to be alive is for sure! :banghead:

Last edited:
Back