Have you had a lesson? Why/Why Not?

Of course. A competent teacher can tell you in 5 minutes what it might take you 5 years to figure out.

I apologize I didn't read the entire thread, but I think the key word here is "competent."

Grammar police - did I get it right that time?

I apologize I didn't read the entire thread, but I think the key word here is "competent."

Grammar police - did I get it right that time?

Well, there are relatively few competent teachers out there. Just like in any profession, there are teachers and there are good teachers.

Well, there are relatively few competent teachers out there. Just like in any profession, there are teachers and there are good teachers.

Yup, like the guy who rushed me out of a lesson so he could take a smoke break... not a good teacher in my book.

Yup, like the guy who rushed me out of a lesson so he could take a smoke break... not a good teacher in my book.

That's pretty bad. I was listening to a guy giving a ladies clinic a few weeks ago on the short game range, and he had a simple, 8-step system for hitting a pitch shot! :laughing:

Not only that, but the only way it could have possibly worked was by accident.

I am as n00b as it gets with golf. I am taking my first lesson in about a week and have 4 scheduled. Not looking forward to changing my old baseball swing habits, but good golf will be more fun to play. It is going to feel like breaking a bone to reset it.

I am as n00b as it gets with golf. I am taking my first lesson in about a week and have 4 scheduled. Not looking forward to changing my old baseball swing habits, but good golf will be more fun to play. It is going to feel like breaking a bone to reset it.

if the instructor is good they'll incorporate the basics of the baseball swing (wrist action, driving off your back foot, etc) into your golf swing. at least that's what mine did. I actually think that helped me get further along than friends who did not play baseball. Of course I'm at the range all the time and they are not but I still think it helped me.

Congrats to you for looking for more instruction for your own game, while being an instructor yourself. I am sure that if you were given a little tid bit that helped your swing, you would also add it to your own teachings book. :clapp:

While I was home I was able to take 2 lessons from my old swing coach. I have been taking lessons since the age of 4. My uncle is a golf coach for the University of Minnesota Morehead and an instructor at the Morehead Country Club. I had him spend and hour with me on 2 seperate days up there and it was the tune up I needed. I too am struggling to find an instructor down here that I gel with and that understands my swing and what I want from my lessons. I know I need it so I am still looking for the right one.

if the instructor is good they'll incorporate the basics of the baseball swing (wrist action, driving off your back foot, etc) into your golf swing. at least that's what mine did. I actually think that helped me get further along than friends who did not play baseball. Of course I'm at the range all the time and they are not but I still think it helped me.

Awesome! I hope he does.

Haven't had one.No time to practice what would be taught.Maybe if they bar me from all the local courses I'll rethink this.

I haven't taken a lesson and maybe that is why I seem stuck at a 9 and have trouble playing to it. I spend a lot of time on the range and I think I am getting better, but am so frustrated right now, I might just hire an instructor, or a hit man, not sure which.

I think everyone benefits from lessons - whether you're a beginner or just need a tune-up. Anyone who is serious about their game knows that you can't always do it on your own.

The first thing I did when I decided I wanted to play golf was to take lessons. I joined in a series of group lessons sponsored by the local community college, taught by a PGA pro at a nearby driving range. I learned all the basics there.

I've since then taken about 4 or 5 lessons from other PGA pros - some from the pro at the course I frequent most, and a couple from a pro at Golf Galaxy. I haven't taken any lessons in about 5 years though...

Great thread, I need work on my game, and am considering lessons. Price is a big issue.

I haven't taken a lesson and maybe that is why I seem stuck at a 9 and have trouble playing to it. I spend a lot of time on the range and I think I am getting better, but am so frustrated right now, I might just hire an instructor, or a hit man, not sure which.

You and me both! I think the weather is supposed to hold long enough today for me to have my rained-out-four-times lesson. I'll try not to vent the entire time, but it's tempting.

I'm planning on taking lessons but want to wait until this winter. I'm afraid that I'll need to change too much and I don't want to waste any of this season struggling with a swing change.

I'm planning on taking lessons but want to wait until this winter. I'm afraid that I'll need to change too much and I don't want to waste any of this season struggling with a swing change.

One question MO - How will you practice what you learn? If you don't have an opportunity to practice, the lesson might be a waste of money.

Heated bays at a couple of ranges around here, plus we can usually get out and play through out the winter. (You know we have that whole global warming thing going on:wink:)

Heated bays at a couple of ranges around here, plus we can usually get out and play through out the winter. (You know we have that whole global warming thing going on:wink:)

Let's try this together MO - "climate change". I thought you were in MO, not the oh so enlightened state of KS.

I :love: Winter golf.

Let's try this together MO - "climate change". I thought you were in MO, not the oh so enlightened state of KS.

Climate change works for me, cooler summers and warmer winters. Why didn't we start doing that earlier?

I :love: winter golf too, it's just the diehards out there.

I :love: winter golf too, it's just the diehards out there.

I play better - I think it's because I'm wearing more clothing and it restricts my swing. One day last Winter, our group was the only one on the course - how wonderful is that.

I play better - I think it's because I'm wearing more clothing and it restricts my swing. One day last Winter, our group was the only one on the course - how wonderful is that.

I love winter golf, too... It gets down to, like 60 here......Brrrrrr! On the downside, all the snowbirds show up and clog the courses.... :D

I love winter golf, too... It gets down to, like 60 here......Brrrrrr! On the downside, all the snowbirds show up and clog the courses.... :D

sorry about clogging up your courses .....lol. You're winter is just so much better than ours!:bashful:

Diane
It's wonderfull that you recognize the true wisdom you receive when living in Kansas.It's surprizing to me that the dali llama doesn't reside here.

Back