Good iron set for high HC under $200???

FishingSETX

Reaction score
Handicap
I know, i know, im asking for a lot!!! Just started playing last summer on a cheapo wilson set and want to start upgrading. Picked up a good driver (callaway razr hawk tour) and now am looking for a good set of irons for a beginner. I normally shoot around a 110 with my best round so far at a 97 if that helps. 5'8" rh so pretty much anything will fit and my swing isnt consistent enough for a fitting yet. Open to new (yea right in my price range) and used suggestions.

My question is what would ya'll recommend for an iron set? would i be better off sticking with my cheap wilson reflex irons?

Hmmm...I think I would try to find some Ping Zing 2 or Ping ISI irons. Maybe some old Callaway Big Bertha irons. Those things were stupid easy to hit.

first off welcome to THP!!! I can tell you that the Taylormade Burner series are great for beginners, they offer great forgiveness, and they can be had for less than $200 sometimes! Look at your local shops, ebay (be careful and ask around THP before you buy something there) and if you stay active you will eventually gain access to the marketplace, where many THPers sell their equipment, many great deals there!

Welcome to THP brother.
Look on eBay under trusted sellers like 3balls golf. I know you can find something in your range. But work at your game even if it's only 10 mins a day practicing swings and do your golf hw and you'll become an excellent player.

A used set of 09 TM burners can be had for about $200 now. Might be a good way to go. Your not going to find much in that price range unless its used and even then $200 is $25/club in a standard set.

A used set of 09 TM burners can be had for about $200 now. Might be a good way to go. Your not going to find much in that price range unless its used and even then $200 is $25/club in a standard set.

this is what I was saying too, the Burner's are pretty good and cheap!

I got my 2.0 for 250 in town brand new

this is what I was saying too, the Burner's are pretty good and cheap!

I got my 2.0 for 250 in town brand new

Yep I was typing it at the same time and did a quick ebay search to confirm prices. Guess great minds think a like.

Thanks for the quick replies!! Keep'em comin!! I knew my price range was tight!! Been watching ebay pretty much every day and bidding on some sets wishin and hopin! Bwahahaha! Workin on my game every chance i get an slowly but surely gettin there. Just about got my driving and fairway woods down and starting to add some distance to my drives (averaging about 225). If a new set of irons will do to my iron shots what the new driver did to my tee shots, id be in hog heaven! In the last few weeks, ive been workin on my short irons and close in around the greens and that has cut 10 strokes off my game.

Normally I would shop local but we only have one shop in town and they are very proud of that fact!!!

Last edited:
I would tell you this right now....go to Callaway preowned.com and find a set of X 14 irons or something close to that...an x16....they have a nice amount of offset, very easy to hit, also i think you could use some lessons as a 40 handicapper to Tiger Woods can always use lessons, yes they may seem expensive but just a few with some practice can make a huge impact on your game! I had a set of Callaway x-12 irons that were mint I used on a tade in trade up program not long ago and they only gave me 80 bucks and sold them same exact set as i know due to the way they group out the condition and state the shape they are in with the prices for eact category like average, good, very good, outlet (which are new basically or new) they usually have a deal every week going on ranging from woods to 100 of an iron set so you could maybe find an iron set for 300 and only pay 200 as they usually make you find 250-350 or higher and then give 100 or more off, like I said they run so many sales!

Right now they are running a special on Callawaygolfpreowned.com that if you spend more then $150 you get a ne Odyssey white ice putter! Any X 14,16,18,or x20 or 2004,2006,2008 Big Bertha irons are going to be a great club for you and you get a COA and a 1 year warranty with these and they are all, especially the big bertha irons considered Game improvement irons and the Big bertha irons are considered Super Game improvement irons! I was looking at everything they have right now and they have some nice sets in Like new or very good condition for 274.99-349.99 which is higher then 200 but keep in mind all of these irons were like a thousand bucks when they came out and will make the game more enjoyable!There are other ways to obtain these irons for cheaper but you will not get the COA and the selection or warranty buying from ebay on 8 year old used clubs!

I can tell you I helped a guy get a set of Taylor Made Burner 2.0 irons for 200 the other week which are nice irons for game imrovement and a decent price! $200 will get the job done but not through the ways I am speaking of obtaining and your best bet would be Big bertha irons or Hawkeye or any X 14 to x20 iron in the non pro series made by Callaway if you want to check ebay out and I am sure you can find a set for cheaper! Good luck!

Yea ive been watching the callaway site. Their customer service is absolutely amazing but their stuff is just out of my price range for now.

What is the difference between the TM burner 1.0, 2.0 etc?

Just new technology from year to year the Burners being the originals then the 1.0 and 2.0, they all are good irons and if you google the golf digest hot list which does not mean all that much to some people it is a general guide and they are pretty accurate to some degree about the ratings and what is good about each product! Different years versions will change with loft on the clubs or offset, and other things to make what they think is the better product causing the previous version to drop in price! They are all good! i do not play taylor Made but can atleast speak on that stuff.....but others who have played them will have more input, I have always been a Titleist or callaway guy myself! Really though I mean there are clubs 8 years old that perform just like clubs made this year, newer technology does not = a better club....it equals a more expensive new club with new technology but you could hit a Callaway X-14 from 10 years ago and IMO, hit them better and further then the Burner iron offerings! They were considered one of the best X lines ever made by Callaway!

Also, when you get a chance, invest in a lesson with a golf pro, this will start you out in the right direction!

And whenever you buy your irons, take them to a golf store, and ask them about a lie and length fitting, this should encourage proper ball striking on the center of the face because the length and lie will be set to you! Also before you buy anything, most golf shops have a launch monitor, or device that can measure your swing speed, this will ballpark what flex you need on your new clubs, sure there is more to fitting than flex, but at this point, it's not as important since you are learning your swing still, but regardless of a swing change, your height and length/lie based on you shouldn't change

yeah but with that amount of time left the chances of them going for that price are pretty low.

True lolz plus snipers always win

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

3 of my choices for beginners. These you can find on eBay from 100 to 200 depending on the condition and the
Make-up.

Ping Eye 2
Taylormade R7
Callaway X-14

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

That is a great looking set that Buck has there. Maybe you could PM him and see what he thinks about these for you. I bet he could get you set up with those and you would be right in your price range.

He sure does! Haha. There's lots of great sets you could find in your price range if you're willing to go used just be careful on eBay. Lots of fake stuff which is junk my buddy got taylormade irons and they were def fake when he got them. He ended up keeping them but they were junk. I personally if you are becoming more serious about the game improve with a new set of irons. They are the clubs you'll hit the most so you want a decent set. Good luck in your search.

I seen a set of New Cobra SZ irons.4-aw graphite shafts in reg. on golfdealsandsteals.com for $230

Sent from my DROID X2

They TaylorMade Burner 2.0s can be found for under $200 now. They would be great option for high HC, IMO. IF you can find the Cobra Baffler iron set for around 200, pull the trigger on them.

Back