Cleveland Releases Black Irons

Flex Codes on the irons are:

S - 5345
R - 4234
A - 3223

Okay, now that the flex code question has been answered, I'm wondering about the lofts of the wedges ... the PW that comes with the set has 44 degrees of loft. You can purchase additional wedges (48, 52,56 and 60 degrees of loft) to add to your set, which is cool. So, to those of you who are currently playing these irons, what wedges are you bagging? Do you have CG Black wedges or some other model? If you're using the CG Black wedges, which ones are in your bag?

Thanks in advance for any/all responses.

Mike
MPM1960

I'm considering upgrading from my Hibore irons to the CG Black irons ... can someone give me the four-digit numbers on the graphite shafts that concern shaft flex? I normally play regular flex, but am playing stiff shafts in my CG Black driver and 3 wood ... any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
MPM1960

Okay, now that the flex code question has been answered, I'm wondering about the lofts of the wedges ... the PW that comes with the set has 44 degrees of loft. You can purchase additional wedges (48, 52,56 and 60 degrees of loft) to add to your set, which is cool. So, to those of you who are currently playing these irons, what wedges are you bagging? Do you have CG Black wedges or some other model? If you're using the CG Black wedges, which ones are in your bag?

Thanks in advance for any/all responses.

Mike
MPM1960

This is something that I worked on for quite a while when gaming the black irons. For a while, I went with a 48* wedge, then a 52/56/60 setup. I found this throw a wrench in my game, so I decided to stick with my regular setup of 50/55/60 and I didnt have a problem with the gapping.

Thanks, War Eagle, for the information ... as it looks now, I'm going to use some graphite shafted Ping Zing copper wedges (PW=47*, SW=52*, LW=57*) until I get a better understanding of what my wedge needs will be with the new CG Black irons ... looking forward to the upcoming golf season with the CG Blacks in my bag.

Mike

Picked up 4-PW CG Black irons on eBay and used them for the first time today. I have been hitting Ping G15 senior graphite shaft. Got the regular in the CG Black irons. Everything seems to come off the clubheads very solid with a high trajectory. I have the CG Black 3 wood and 2,4,5 Mashies, all with the Miyazaki C Kua shafts. This shaft and Cleveland stuff seem to work well for me.

Thanks for the post ... FYI, I've spent the past month re-building my bag and I've moved from my beloved Hibore irons to the CG Blacks. I'm now gaming a CG Black driver (10.5 degrees, stiff Miyazaki shaft), CG Black 3 wood (16 degrees, stiff Miyazaki shaft), Mashie + hybrids (2H, 3H and 4H, with regular flex Miyazaki shafts) and CG Black irons with regular flex Miyazaki shafts (although I purchased 4-PW, I'm going to pull out the 4 iron in favor of the 4H for now). As I mentioned in an earlier message, I'm going to use my graphite-shafted copper Ping Zing wedges (47, 52 and 57 degrees) and see how that works out ... I would add that I used the four-digit flex codes on the Miyazaki shafts to select the regular flex in my CG Black irons (driver and 3 wood stiff flex code is 4212, hybrids regular flex code is 4422 and the irons regular flex code is 4234). So far, so good, although the weather here in northern KY has not been very cooperative. I'm hoping for some quality range/course time in the coming weeks to see if the move was a good one for me ...

Mike
MPM1960

Thanks for the post ... FYI, I've spent the past month re-building my bag and I've moved from my beloved Hibore irons to the CG Blacks. I'm now gaming a CG Black driver (10.5 degrees, stiff Miyazaki shaft), CG Black 3 wood (16 degrees, stiff Miyazaki shaft), Mashie + hybrids (2H, 3H and 4H, with regular flex Miyazaki shafts) and CG Black irons with regular flex Miyazaki shafts (although I purchased 4-PW, I'm going to pull out the 4 iron in favor of the 4H for now). As I mentioned in an earlier message, I'm going to use my graphite-shafted copper Ping Zing wedges (47, 52 and 57 degrees) and see how that works out ... I would add that I used the four-digit flex codes on the Miyazaki shafts to select the regular flex in my CG Black irons (driver and 3 wood stiff flex code is 4212, hybrids regular flex code is 4422 and the irons regular flex code is 4234). So far, so good, although the weather here in northern KY has not been very cooperative. I'm hoping for some quality range/course time in the coming weeks to see if the move was a good one for me ...

Mike
MPM1960
Except for I have regular shafts, my bag is pretty similar to yours. CG Black irons (carrying 6-PW), CG Black 3 wood, Original Mashies 2,3,4,5. I have a 52 and 56 degree CG15 wedges. I tried the CG Black Driver but the dispersion was too wide for me. Now have the new RBZ Stage 2 driver. I have had the woods since early last year, the irons for only three weeks. The irons are giving me about one half club more distance (1 inch longer and stronger lofts than my Ping G15s). They get airborne quickly and feel very solid. Hope you like your changes.

When I purchased my first Cleveland CG Black driver in the spring of 2012, I bought it at 10.5 degrees and with a regular flex Miyazaki golf shaft. After a few trips out, I came away shocked at how whippy and weak the shaft performed. After checking around, I learned of the four-digit code on these shafts for proper fitting, and that the numbers for the regular flex were actually more of a senior flex as compared to other manufacturers (it's the same with the CG Black fairway woods, too). So, after playing a season with a Ping G15 driver and a Cleveland Classic 270, I picked up a stiff shafted CG Black in the fall from Global Golf (25 percent discount on LH used equipment made the experiment affordable). I was amazed at how well I hit the stiff shafted CG Black driver, so I then went and picked up a used 3 wood in stiff to try as well ... another successful purchase led me to upgrade my irons to the CG Black line last month, and here I am today.

Mike
MPM1960

I purchased my first Mashie with Miyazaki C-Kua shaft last year after reading about it on THP forums and it really turned my game around.
Have since replaced all my woods and long irons with Cleveland & Miyazaki C-Kua and could not be happier. Unfortunately they stop at M5.
Would the Cleveland Black be a good iron to complete my set with?
Do they have a similar feel and swing weight to the mashies?

I purchased my first Mashie with Miyazaki C-Kua shaft last year after reading about it on THP forums and it really turned my game around.
Have since replaced all my woods and long irons with Cleveland & Miyazaki C-Kua and could not be happier. Unfortunately they stop at M5.
Would the Cleveland Black be a good iron to complete my set with?
Do they have a similar feel and swing weight to the mashies?

Hmm I currently play the C.Kua shafts in my irons and I do like them a lot. I think it would play pretty similar but if you went 5-PW your 5 iron is 24* which is 1* different than your M4. I hit the irons great though. Have you thought about maybe just putting the C.Kua shafts into your irons?

Been struggling with toe hits with the Burner 2.0 as they have the wrong lie angle & I am very tall.
Need them to be at least 2 degrees more upright and they cannot be bent.
So I am buying some new irons.
The only fitment centre around here is Ping and after a fitting they recommended Ping G25, white dot upright and 1/2 inch extension.
They have the right lofts etc. but for some reason they do not really appeal to me.
I am posting in this thread as I am really keen on the Miyazakis.

Been struggling with toe hits with the Burner 2.0 as they have the wrong lie angle & I am very tall.
Need them to be at least 2 degrees more upright and they cannot be bent.
So I am buying some new irons.
The only fitment centre around here is Ping and after a fitting they recommended Ping G25, white dot upright and 1/2 inch extension.
They have the right lofts etc. but for some reason they do not really appeal to me.
I am posting in this thread as I am really keen on the Miyazakis.

I hit the blacks really well. They were pretty forgiving too. Check out this thread on the shafts:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?26610-Miyazaki-C-Kua-Iron-Shafts

Cheers c0ncept, I will read that thread.

Learnt a lot from that thread.
I have to order my CG Black irons over the net from Europe as the local dealers do not stock!!!
Can buy the irons with the lie angle 2 degrees upright and the loft 2 degrees weaker.
My big worry was that the regular shaft will be too whippy...
(Thinking back to the 39R shaft on the Cleveland 270 driver that I tried out).
I want the higher launch from the Regular but still need them to feel sturdy.
I have a smooth swing but a high smash rate and a ball speed of roughly 105mph with my 6 iron.
Will sincerely appreciate any assistence in me ordering the right clubs.

I hit both the R and S shafts...I think you might want to lean towards the stiff.

Found a local fitter that will sort me out with new Cleveland 588MT irons and Miyazaki shafts.
At least he can then sort out my gap problem and lie angle as well.
Leaving this thread - will post again in the 588MT thread once fitted to report back.

I am seriously pondering these irons.

Update - I just purchased the 48, 52 & 56 black wedges off ebay. I looked forward to getting in some practice & playing with them next weekend :}

Update - I just purchased the 48, 52 & 56 black wedges off ebay. I looked forward to getting in some practice & playing with them next weekend :}
I just bought the 52 degree Cleveland Black wedge. Found the RTX 588CB is much heavier than any of the rest of my CG Black Irons or CG15 56 degree wedge.

Very much looking forward to you submitting a review of the Cleveland Black wedges in the coming days ...

Mike
MPM1960

Anyone know what the Ti club face is made out of? Is that Titanium?

Thanks!

Look forward to your review on these. Recently I purchased a black 52 and a 54 and 58 588 from ebay. They were for a buddy who is 70 and has back problems. He used to be a strong player, comes from a golfing family, and his older brother won a tournamant or 2 on the PGA and champions tour. I thought a 52 black with the miyazaki graphite shaft would be a good gap wedge for him.
I comfortably hit my 54 vokey 110 yds, and there can be more than that if I want to be aggressive. The 52 black to my surprise was a bummer. I was expecting anywhere from a smooth 110 for openers to at least 120, it just did not deliver comfortable distance at all or good feel for that matter. He only hit it 95 yards tops. I know every one is different and would like to see your review on your black wedges.

Took my 52 degree for a test drive on the practice area today. It feels a little heavy, but not as heavy as the RTX 588 CB it is replacing. I only hit full shots today and it was easy to make clean contact. Nice high shots that stopped pretty quickly. Forgiving club face since shots more off toe or center all went straight. Pondering the 56 degree sand wedge now. Have Miyazaki shafts in CG Black 3wood, Mashies and CG Black irons.

Back