Diane

Reaction score
I'll be honest - I secretly rejoice in certain situations if someone hits a bad shot. Never with anyone I'm playing with or for that matter 99% of the people out there, but with someone who refuses to yield my fairway or someone who has hit into me. I enjoy seeing them mess up.

I would have to agree with you on that, Dianne. Especially love watching them launch a shot into the water afterwards. :angel:

Yeah, I don't mind watching others' poor shots. It's just a reminder that I am not the only one who has those types of shots in my swing.:clapp:

I'm a karma fan. Although I'd never do something myself, there is something about seeing someone get their just desserts from the universe. :smile:

I'm a karma fan. Although I'd never do something myself, there is something about seeing someone get their just desserts from the universe. :smile:

Amen! :clapp:

I have a mean streak, but it usually only manifests itself in competition when I will try to beat my opponents brains out. I have heard it said that if Tiger is leading by 15, he wants to be leading by 20. That describes my outlook. I won't coast, I keep going trying to get up one more.

I don't really wish bad stuff on my opponents most of the time, but if I am playing with a blowhard who thinks he is a lot better than he is, I do relish watching him make a mess. There is something special about watching some braggart go through his "pro style" routine, only to duff the shot horribly.

I have a mean streak, but it usually only manifests itself in competition when I will try to beat my opponents brains out. I have heard it said that if Tiger is leading by 15, he wants to be leading by 20. That describes my outlook. I won't coast, I keep going trying to get up one more.

I don't really wish bad stuff on my opponents most of the time, but if I am playing with a blowhard who thinks he is a lot better than he is, I do relish watching him make a mess. There is something special about watching some braggart go through his "pro style" routine, only to duff the shot horribly.

I can relate to that,i dont want to just win,i want to hammer them.

I'm with you on that C-Tech. This past Thursday in League play, my opponent (who I'm giving 8 shots to in 9-hole play) tells everyone how long he hits the ball, and how he has to wait till the green is vacated on a certain 310 yard par 4! LOL I out drove him on the first hole, and for the next 8 holes he just reared back and tried to hit the ball either farther than me, or with less club on the par 3's. He was closed out after 5 holes. :banana: I did enjoy that one.

My brother-in-law's dad will hit a ball right back to someone if they can see him and know they can reach him and hit it anyway. I don't think I would have the courage to do something like that.

My brother-in-law's dad will hit a ball right back to someone if they can see him and know they can reach him and hit it anyway. I don't think I would have the courage to do something like that.

My brother does that too and he's good enough to make sure he gets their attention. If someone deliberately hits into me, I place their ball on a tee - usually a pink one. I find that gets the message across in a nicer way.

I hear that. If we're keeping score, I want to beat the people Im playing with as bad as possible.
It doesnt matter if its friends or family, Im fiercely competitive and I hate to lose; so I always play for keeps and like to beat my opponents as bad as possible.

Ive played with some coworkers who were like that. They bragged up how good they are and when we finally played together they hacked it all over the course.

I'm at peace with the world and fellow golfers :) :)

If someone violates ettiquite and hits a bad shot, I don't feel better about the situation, I just think damn, that sucks, or damn that must be embarrassing.. I feel like most violators do so out of ignorance more than anything else..

Regarding Competition with other players, I, ofcourse, always want to win, but I don't want to be so far ahead of them after xx amount of holes that they give up trying, I prefer to be in contention with a slight lead all the way to the end. It makes it a helluva lot more exciting if every stinking shot on the 18th could make or break ya :)

Sorry about that Diane, didn't realize I was playing the same courses as you!

Sorry about that Diane, didn't realize I was playing the same courses as you!

Well if you get hit in the head with a divot - you'll know for sure.

Seve Ballesteros said:
“I look into their eyes, shake their hand, pat their back, and wish them luck, but I am thinking, 'I am going to bury you.”

I think Seve put it pretty well.

Meh, not worth the effort, just ignore them and let the score/drive do the talking.

Competition same thing I let my score do the talking.

Though I do have an honest question (which has actually happened to me a couple of times):

What do you yall have to say about a younger guy like me hitting a drive that also hits other objects (cart path and or sprinkler heads are my bane) causing it to bounce into your playing area? From my end all I know is that I can't hit it that far (350 + yards) and can't for the life of me understand why someone is hitting it back to me, kinda frustrating you know? ESPECIALLY when I didn't want to be rude or hit yall.......I mean yall would like us to wait for people to get off the green when it is a freak mishap that causes the ball to land "near" you. IMO you don't touch someone's ball cause you never know unless it's obvious, then you can just let them play through right?

I get most enjoyment when my friends are playing bad. It is fun to rag each other a bit, and I know that it is just a matter of time until it is turned on me.

Meh, not worth the effort, just ignore them and let the score/drive do the talking.

Competition same thing I let my score do the talking.

Though I do have an honest question (which has actually happened to me a couple of times):

What do you yall have to say about a younger guy like me hitting a drive that also hits other objects (cart path and or sprinkler heads are my bane) causing it to bounce into your playing area? From my end all I know is that I can't hit it that far (350 + yards) and can't for the life of me understand why someone is hitting it back to me, kinda frustrating you know? ESPECIALLY when I didn't want to be rude or hit yall.......I mean yall would like us to wait for people to get off the green when it is a freak mishap that causes the ball to land "near" you. IMO you don't touch someone's ball cause you never know unless it's obvious, then you can just let them play through right?
I agree.I'm not young but sometimes a drive gets away.So here we are waiting to tee off cause we are afraid of accidentally hitting into the group ahead.Although I've played with a guy who say's he's going to get there attention.Don't play with him anymore.:smile:

If it happens once, I usually will just look back with my hands raised, kinda like this. :confused2:

If it happens twice, either I hit the ball into the nearest lake/pond or return it to them express mail (hoping I don't duff it!).

Back when I was younger, 21 or so, my best friend and I were at the local course near his parents house. A group kept hitting up on us and we finally let the 4 of them play through after finishing the long Par 5 they caught us on. The Par 4 they played through on, they went super slow. After the tee shot, my friend finally got mad enough that from down below a hill he launched a 7 wood at the green while they dilly-dallied with putting out. It got their attention, since it not only landed on the green, it stopped on the green. :clapp:

Still no one has answered my question.........?

Long story short I have been hit at from inside 150 yards with some older guy teeing his driver off at me with my ball, same example and I DID NOT mean to hit into him, I didn't account for the hard pan + a cart path making the ball fly near them! And even though I am a nice guy, anyone actually hits me from that range on purpose like that and either I am going to press charges on assault with a deadly weapon or we are going to have a very "civil" talk like Kurt Russel and Billy Bob Thornton did in Tombstone........

I have never had anyone fire a ball back at me & I have played on almost 100 different courses. Exactly what sort of courses are you playing at where folks hit balls back at you? Or are you that bad on the course where you are constantly hitting into them?

I have never had anyone fire a ball back at me & I have played on almost 100 different courses. Exactly what sort of courses are you playing at where folks hit balls back at you? Or are you that bad on the course where you are constantly hitting into them?

Nope I am not that bad, it occured at Silverbell Municipal GC in Tucson AZ when I was playing late one afternoon. If I remeber correctly it was number 5 (been 4 years so forgive the memory), going into the sun and I just really got a hold of the ball and with my draw plus the cart path along the right side (ball wasn't drawing enough), plus a really hard stretch of ground it landed pretty darn close to them. Knew something was up when they stayed where they were at as I started walking down the fairway. First time I even hit close to them, and this course opens up with a VERY short par 5 too.

Honestly on my part I guess I should have waited until they cleared the green but come on I mean it was 350+ at least and they were on their thrid shots, there were a lot of people out and I was trying to keep up pace since I was only walker out of the groups in front and directly behind me. So, I thought I was in the "clear" on ettiquette but maybe I am wrong?

Could be one of two things Dyna - 1) You follow the proper etiquette and never hit into anyone or 2) You just aren't good enough to hit far enough to reach the group in front of you.

Nope I am not that bad, it occured at Silverbell Municipal GC in Tucson AZ when I was playing late one afternoon. If I remeber correctly it was number 5 (been 4 years so forgive the memory), going into the sun and I just really got a hold of the ball and with my draw plus the cart path along the right side (ball wasn't drawing enough), plus a really hard stretch of ground it landed pretty darn close to them. Knew something was up when they stayed where they were at as I started walking down the fairway. First time I even hit close to them, and this course opens up with a VERY short par 5 too.

Honestly on my part I guess I should have waited until they cleared the green but come on I mean it was 350+ at least and they were on their thrid shots, there were a lot of people out and I was trying to keep up pace since I was only walker out of the groups in front and directly behind me. So, I thought I was in the "clear" on ettiquette but maybe I am wrong?
I think you were right.

Back