PRGR Red Eyes Pocket Mini Review

brian575

Reaction score
Handicap
infinity
Recently I purchased a PRGR Red Eyes Pocket from tour spec golf. I was intrigued with the possibility of measuring both my club head speed and ball speed for practicing on the range, in my back yard and on the course. First thing I did when I got the REP was try and get the thing to read MPH. This actually took awhile to figure out and I had to go online to find an instruction booklet in English. The packaging only contained a Japanese version. After holding the mode button down for 2-4 seconds the REP makes a beep and changes modes. The third mode is MPH. Here is a picture of the unit.
redeyes-2.jpg

As you can see there are the three modes mentioned above. I only use the ball speed mode. One nice thing is you can toggle to all three modes after you hit a shot so no data is lost.

From my experience the unit works pretty well. I have been on store monitors and been shown to have a driver swing speed in the high 90's and this unit verified these results. I also have noticed every once and awhile I catch a 6-7 iron that goes 20+ yards further than normal. I now know that his is because my quality of contact is not great on average. My normal 6 iron swing is in the low 80's with a ball speed around 110 or so. Then I will have a perfect strike with a ball speed approaching 120. I also thought that I get a 5 wood strike that seems to carry forever. I got one strike with a 92 mph swing speed and a 130 ball speed. My other strikes were all in the 120's ball speed wise.

The unit does not always catch the ball on bad shots though. But is always gets the club head speed. My miss tends to be a pull draw. The pull draw is the hardest ball for the REP to catch. I would guess because relative to where the REP sits my body is blocking the view to the ball. The machine is really good about picking up fades, straight balls, and normal draws. Also the unit is not great at picking up the balls if the ground you are hitting off and the ground that the machine is sitting on are different. If they are both either uphill or downhill you are fine but if the lie is downhill then uphill it has trouble and vise versa. With that said it still picked up most of my shots, more than 80% from any lie. So if you are looking for a device that will pick up most of your shots and you will not get upset if it misses one every once in awhile this is a good device.

Here is a like to tourspec and their review.

http://www.golftoimpress.com/introducing-prgrs-red-eyes-pocket-speed/

Hope this helped someone.

Brian

Nice job, Brian. Thanks for the review.

Nice info! Seems like it gives some pretty good parameters that can be used for improvements. I wonder if the impact% is just a ratio between ball speed and head speed (as I think the "target" is to have the ball speed by 50% greater than the head speed).

never knew about this devise. Pretty intriguing. I would definitely look into one myself if I had the extra cash laying around. Thanks for doing the review.

Very nice dude, thanks for sharing that. Very cool device there.

Nice info! Seems like it gives some pretty good parameters that can be used for improvements. I wonder if the impact% is just a ratio between ball speed and head speed (as I think the "target" is to have the ball speed by 50% greater than the head speed).

Yes that is exactly correct. If you get a 100% your smash factor was 1.5. The COR of drivers is limited to 1.48 (someone would need to verify that for me) I believe so the highest reading you should be able to get is 98.6% or 99 on the machine. I personally have only been able to get 96% because I have not registered a perfect strike yet and I do not always check that. I normally have the device set to see both speeds.

Just an FYI the total shipped for me was 202, the shipping was 22 bucks.

So I have been using this for about a month or so and thought it was a good time to update this thread. I think I like this device more now than when I purchased it. I used it during two practice rounds lately and at two different driving ranges and noticed some things related to equipment and my inconsistent swing. First I suspected that range balls had a negative impact on ball speed and that not all range balls are as bad. My normal practice range just got new Titlist NXT range balls. I noticed I was getting higher ball speeds than normal when hit on the same spot on the face of my driver (I put impact tape on the face of the driver to verify). And I also noticed I got much higher reading using my normal ball. I was having trouble with getting ball speeds above 140 with the range balls and was averaging over 140 when I went out to the course.

Also ever once in a blue moon I would get a drive that would go many yards more than normal. I thought I must have hit a hard part of the fairway or something. Then I had a swing that just felt perfect, 108 swing speed 159 ball speed (my averages are probably 98 and 140). I almost fell over, I should have taken a picture of the monitor. So now I am going to start videoing my practice secessions. If/when I ever get a swing like that again I am going to study what I did different and try and copy it.

I have got a few weird reading where it appears that the swing speed registrars as the ball speed or the swing speed and ball speed will be very close to each other. It was funny when I looked down and had a swing speed in the 130's and a ball speed in the low 140's. Or the time I looked down and had no ball speed but a swing speed of 140 something.

So in synopses this has been my best golf purchase maybe ever. It is going to keep me from buying clubs that I don't need and has really helped me work on consistent ball striking.

Back