Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do tell!

We're going to need an "Official NFL Football Thread" soon...

Grew up outside of Dallas. Will always be a Cowboy fan.

Was also a Rangers fan until they mortgaged the entire team for one player and screwed Pudge all at the same time.

Grew up outside of Dallas. Will always be a Cowboy fan.

Was also a Rangers fan until they mortgaged the entire team for one player and screwed Pudge all at the same time.

I think that's called the A-Rod effect! :banghead:

The Cowboys stadium is pretty cool but I find it funny that the world's largest LCD screen is hanging about 20 ft too low and punters can hit it in the air! :doh:

So now ESPN is saying Billy Wagner has approved the trade to the Red Sox. That should be awkward after Pappelbons comments. Either way it should be a good pick up. His velocity looks good for just coming off TJ.

Also, Baseball tonight did a cool piece comparing John Smoltz last start with those when he was with Boston. Supposedly Carpenter picked up that he was tipping his pitches and Duncan worked on him getting his foot planted. Could the old Smoltz be back? I doubt it, Ill try and find the clip.

Nooooo, my fantasy team has gone into the tank this year.

I realize all of these injuries arent Minayas fault, but the guy has to get canned after this year. I dont buy that he is coming back.

He may be the worst GM in baseball.

Also, Baseball tonight did a cool piece comparing John Smoltz last start with those when he was with Boston. Supposedly Carpenter picked up that he was tipping his pitches and Duncan worked on him getting his foot planted. Could the old Smoltz be back? I doubt it, Ill try and find the clip.

I wish I would have seen that. You see this all the time. How is it that once a guy changes teams, a teammate can casually notice that he is tipping pitches and the pitching coach changes one thing and he is fixed? Can't the team (Boston) he played for figure this stuff out?

I hope for Smoltz's sake he is fixed. He is a great guy and good in the clubhouse. However after seeing him pitch for Boston, the trouble was not just tipping pitches. His velocity and control was suspect.

I hope for Smoltz's sake he is fixed.

I dont think that was it and I think they are facing the Nationals on his next start so we wont be able to tell then either.

He was tipping his splitter by opening the web of his glove before the pitch. Everyone was laying off of it and waiting for his fast ball. Supposedly the velocity was down because his foot wasnt planted all the way on the rubber when he was pushing off. He will never be the same, but if anyone could make him servicable again, its Duncan and LaRussa.

While I agree that they could fix him, did you see his pitching in Boston? That was not really the whole problem. He could not find the strike zone and was 3-1 to just about every hitter. Then they would tee off on the slower fastball.

The splitter was not being read, it was not splitting at all. It was a straight 86 mph pitch. It was like playing tee ball for these guys.

As a Cards fan I am hoping for the best! :nailbiting:

While I agree that they could fix him, did you see his pitching in Boston? That was not really the whole problem. He could not find the strike zone and was 3-1 to just about every hitter. Then they would tee off on the slower fastball.

The splitter was not being read, it was not splitting at all. It was a straight 86 mph pitch. It was like playing tee ball for these guys.

That was the game they were breaking down. I dont know if I agree with them, but it was interesting. Ill see if I can find the clip.

I watched it too TGM. It was very interesting.

I hope for Smoltz's sake he is fixed. He is a great guy and good in the clubhouse. However after seeing him pitch for Boston, the trouble was not just tipping pitches. His velocity and control was suspect.

it's hard to excel at that level with velocity and control issues - never mind 'tipping' pitches.

As a "Saux" fan - let's hope Wagner works out......

Gas,

Do you or anyone else on here have ESPN INSIDER access? I am dying to know what the Lidge rumor is that was posted on there around Noon today. I'm hoping the Phils are trolling the waters for a viable replacement for him.

Thanks.

Gas,

Do you or anyone else on here have ESPN INSIDER access? I am dying to know what the Lidge rumor is that was posted on there around Noon today. I'm hoping the Phils are trolling the waters for a viable replacement for him.

Thanks.

No insider for me, Ill dig around. Charlie Manual was on XM this morning saying they were going to stick with Lidge. But when asked about Myers he said if he comes back strong, he will be at the back end of the bullpen. I know Hoffman was put on waivers today, maybe?

That is what bstoner and I were talking about earlier on the phone TGM. It has to be Hoffman.

That is what bstoner and I were talking about earlier on the phone TGM. It has to be Hoffman.

It could be Coco Cordero as well. He still has a pretty hefty salary left, I dont think anyone would be claiming him. Too bad Wagner left on bad terms because he would of been a nice addition.

yeah, bstoner and I spoke about the Wagner thing too. He said after bashing the city, he could not come back. My thoughts were never say never in sports. But I dont think the Mets would have traded him inside division.

Gas,

Hoffman wouldn't be a bad pick-up for the post season run. I think Manuel doesn't want to risk damaging Lidge's confidence in case something doesn't pan out. That is why publicly he's backing him. Olney claims the Wagner signing may have created some bad blood with Papelbon in beantown and that he may be on the block. JB and I agree there isn't much of a chance of this happening, but if it did, could you imagine what it would mean to a team like Philly or even your Dodgers to get a closer like Papelbon.

I'm hoping the Phils pitchers start to pitch lots of complete games in the meantime, or blow teams out by 5 or more runs.

I heard the Pappelbon thing this morning. I think he is a Free Agent after after 2011. Unless they are tired of his antics, I dont think Epstein would have the balls to move him. I would take him in a second though.

The Red Sox released Brad Penny tonight. Haha, he was one of my favorites until he quit on us last year. The guy is more into cage fighting and racing horses then pitching in the big leagues.

I heard the Pappelbon thing this morning. I think he is a Free Agent after after 2011. Unless they are tired of his antics, I dont think Epstein would have the balls to move him. I would take him in a second though.

they may try to trade him next year. That Daniel Bard kid they have throws harder than Paps, is younger, and they have control over him for another 4 yrs or so. He is prob Paps successor

they may try to trade him next year. That Daniel Bard kid they have throws harder than Paps, is younger, and they have control over him for another 4 yrs or so. He is prob Paps successor

The thing with Papelbon is that he is mentally tuff. He is closing in one of the biggest markets and doing a good job with it. Im sure Epstein will deal him, but I think it will come back and bite them in the ass when Bard doesnt live up to the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back