PING G25 Irons - THP Preview

After 4-5 sessions I can pretty safely say that I'm shorter with these irons than the RocketBladez, both on good swings and mediocre ones. Looking a little closer at the numbers, I do believe there's good reason for that.

Ball speeds on my best strikes and on average are 2-3mph lower.
Launch is about 1.5° higher.
Spin is averaging 500 rpm more.

Those three things equal a higher, shorter ball. Now, let me temper that a bit by saying they are still acceptable. For example, my best swings were still getting me in the 167-170 yard range (carry) with the 7 iron. About 5-7 yards less than the RocketBladez. Mediocre swings were right at 160, so again - acceptable. True mishits were in the mid to low 150's, which I'm not terribly thrilled about if I'm being honest.

That being said, if there's some benefit to a little distance loss, I'd still be happy with what I see. In other words, if gapping was really consistent or dispersion was measurably better, I could deal with a little drop in yardage. Can't really judge that fairly until I see the ball flying outside, which I hope to do this weekend.

Hawk ,

So this will be your first time hitting them outside?

Yes it will. Got them in late last week and we're currently melting away all the damn snow we got over the last two weeks. Good weather ahead though!

Yes it will. Got them in late last week and we're currently melting away all the damn snow we got over the last two weeks. Good weather ahead though!

Ahh that sucks... i think you will enjoy them out on the grass, i know i do. Like i told lefty i'm sure they will have a higher launch than the RBZ i know they did over the i20's, but thats expected with a game improvement iron. The numbers difference i only saw were on the longer irons, but its tolerable.

It seemed to me like I saw something similar. 8 iron was close. 9 and PW were basically identical. That could be good for gapping actually. I'm definitely excited to see the ball flight outdoors and get a feel for them on grass. I've learned that what I like indoors is not always what I like outdoors and vise-versa.

I hit the 7 iron at the local range and it did fly much higher on the good hits. Compared to my R7 8 iron the 7 iron G25 seemed to go higher but the distance was not far off from what I could tell. Moving the ball back in my stance I could get more distance with a more penetrating flight. Just knowing that out on the course when you want to hit that high shot that will land softly on the green or get up over a tree in front of you is very nice. I have no problem with getting less distance as long as it is consistent. Not sure if you guys have played R7s but I have more trouble with the 7 down to PW on getting consistent distances on the course. But I am not a great player so 70% to 90% swings I still struggle with. The most annoying thing is stepping up on a Par 3 and getting an extra 15 yards out of your club and going over the green on a great shot :( I'm Looking at going with G25's or Mizuno JPX 800,825 PRO. Have you guys hit Mizuno that forged feel is amazing!

After 4-5 sessions I can pretty safely say that I'm shorter with these irons than the RocketBladez, both on good swings and mediocre ones. Looking a little closer at the numbers, I do believe there's good reason for that.

Ball speeds on my best strikes and on average are 2-3mph lower.
Launch is about 1.5° higher.
Spin is averaging 500 rpm more.

Those three things equal a higher, shorter ball. Now, let me temper that a bit by saying they are still acceptable. For example, my best swings were still getting me in the 167-170 yard range (carry) with the 7 iron. About 5-7 yards less than the RocketBladez. Mediocre swings were right at 160, so again - acceptable. True mishits were in the mid to low 150's, which I'm not terribly thrilled about if I'm being honest.

That being said, if there's some benefit to a little distance loss, I'd still be happy with what I see. In other words, if gapping was really consistent or dispersion was measurably better, I could deal with a little drop in yardage. Can't really judge that fairly until I see the ball flying outside, which I hope to do this weekend.

I'm honestly surprised the Rocketbladez irons you hit only go 5-7 yards longer. The G25's are 3/4" shorter starting from the 3i down to 1/4" shorter at your 9i. The shaft your using in the G25 is heavier (roughly 10g or more). The G25 shaft is stiffer than the rocketbladez shaft your using and to top it off the lofts are very strong on the rocketbladez irons. The 3i is 18* for the TM irons and 20* for the Ping irons. The Ping 7i is 1.5* weaker lofted than the TM 7i. I'm also assuming you were fitted for your Rocketbladez and probably have the right shaft in those clubs versus what you have in the PING at the moment. All in all, there are many reasons that you hit the Rocketbladez irons longer.

Last edited:
I hit the 7 iron at the local range and it did fly much higher on the good hits. Compared to my R7 8 iron the 7 iron G25 seemed to go higher but the distance was not far off from what I could tell. Moving the ball back in my stance I could get more distance with a more penetrating flight. Just knowing that out on the course when you want to hit that high shot that will land softly on the green or get up over a tree in front of you is very nice. I have no problem with getting less distance as long as it is consistent. Not sure if you guys have played R7s but I have more trouble with the 7 down to PW on getting consistent distances on the course. But I am not a great player so 70% to 90% swings I still struggle with. The most annoying thing is stepping up on a Par 3 and getting an extra 15 yards out of your club and going over the green on a great shot :( I'm Looking at going with G25's or Mizuno JPX 800,825 PRO. Have you guys hit Mizuno that forged feel is amazing!

the mizuno jpx-825 were nice, i'm not a big forged iron fan. Maybe when I get my hanicap lower I might look into those. The only thing is that the forged arent as forgiving as the g25's just remember that the pro's and forged irons are players irons, those that want to work the ball and have less forgiveness. Yeah you might get a little more distance with those, but i'll sacrifice accuracy for distance anyday. I got the g25's since I want to consistantly go straight and miss hits arent as noticeable. But the only advice i could give to you is get what is most comforting to you, what feels good at address.

I'm honestly surprised the Rocketbladez irons you hit only go 5-7 yards longer. The G25's are 3/4" shorter starting from the 3i down to 1/4" shorter at your 9i. The shaft your using in the G25 is heavier (roughly 10g or more). The G25 shaft is stiffer than the rocketbladez shaft your using and to top it off the lofts are very strong on the rocketbladez irons. The 3i is 18* for the TM irons and 20* for the Ping irons. The Ping 7i is 1.5* weaker lofted than the TM 7i. I'm also assuming you were fitted for your Rocketbladez and probably have the right shaft in those clubs versus what you have in the PING at the moment. All in all, there are many reasons that you hit the Rocketbladez irons longer.

This is why i was thinking about getting them bent 1-2* so i could make up the lost yardage, but what you said is true. Thats the new marketing scheme that companies have with irons right now about why they have more yardage. Some people dont see that the lofts are weaker and shafts might be a little longer/lighter which would make them 5-7 yrds farther than the "other compitition"

I do realize that their are some differences between the two irons and I did note them when I started out this review. Unfortunately, there's no setting for 'remove 1/4 inch and 1.5° loft" on the Vector :D

Interestingly, I also mentioned that my best swings with my 588 CB's (bent 2° strong) were basically as long as the RocketBladez. I'm sure there's a reason for the slight loss with the G25 and I'm not trying to discredit the irons or anything. Just obligated to report what I see.

Judge Smails,

I am still thinking and trying both clubs out. I love them both but I fell in love with the 800 Pros last year. The pro at the local course let me take some demos out and play I loved the feel. But after hitting the G25's I am starting to jump in your boat and would rather have a straighter more forgiving club. They have a great look and I love the fact that you can get the ball high when you want to.

Has anyone played multiple rounds with these? How is the dark finish holding up? Especially on the sole it should rub off their first.

Judge Smails,

I am still thinking and trying both clubs out. I love them both but I fell in love with the 800 Pros last year. The pro at the local course let me take some demos out and play I loved the feel. But after hitting the G25's I am starting to jump in your boat and would rather have a straighter more forgiving club. They have a great look and I love the fact that you can get the ball high when you want to.

Has anyone played multiple rounds with these? How is the dark finish holding up? Especially on the sole it should rub off their first.

Ill take a pic of mine tonight to show the wear. I have gotten almost 15 rounds with these and there is no sign of wear on the sole. On the face you can see some scratches from the range balls that i've hit

Cool! Can't wait. Thank you.

Recently tested all the GI offerings and settled on JPX 825 pros (kbs tour shaft). They are excellent all-around performers: distance (plenty long), forgiveness, minimal offset, forged feel (not as good as MP 64), great looks, fantastic turf interaction especially if you take a divot.

Recently tested all the GI offerings and settled on JPX 825 pros (kbs tour shaft). They are excellent all-around performers: distance (plenty long), forgiveness, minimal offset, forged feel (not as good as MP 64), great looks, fantastic turf interaction especially if you take a divot.

congrats those are some really nice clubs as well.

Thank you. I have not hit the 825 pros yet. They do look great. The Pro at the local club house wanted to set me up with MP irons but I do not feel my skill is high enough for those. He has seen me play so he must see something that I do not ha. I will be looking into the 825pros before I make my decision. I am usually just a weekend warrior with working crazy long hours during the week so the Pings are stepping up on my list. But you really cant beat that forged feel. I did notice that the Pings did let me know when I had a miss hit you could feel it more than I can feel in my R7s. I have played with my R7's enough I can tell now and its usually off the toe when I try to swing way to hard...

Big difference on the leading edge and sole grind on the 825 pros versus the G25s. My experience has been that pickers do not like the 825 pros - take a good divot and they are no problem (as was noted above).

Thank you. I have not hit the 825 pros yet. They do look great. The Pro at the local club house wanted to set me up with MP irons but I do not feel my skill is high enough for those. He has seen me play so he must see something that I do not ha. I will be looking into the 825pros before I make my decision. I am usually just a weekend warrior with working crazy long hours during the week so the Pings are stepping up on my list. But you really cant beat that forged feel. I did notice that the Pings did let me know when I had a miss hit you could feel it more than I can feel in my R7s. I have played with my R7's enough I can tell now and its usually off the toe when I try to swing way to hard...

Thank you. I take a good divot every time and get a little to steep at times. That is something I am working on constantly to not get to steep. Longer the club the less divot I take. More confidence in the shorter irons helps me swing with more effort and aggressiveness.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363197230.124494.jpg
Having some trouble getting used to the longer shafts and more upright lie angles i was fitted with. But I'm still going through lessons, will be launchin these puppies in no time!

Looks great in the bag. Can't wait for spring to get my new set of irons.. Might actually be 50 Friday just no more rain :)
Congrats!!

Heres the 7i , prolly the one i use the most

IMG_1370.jpg

and heres the sole, i just checked them all and still no discoloration
IMG_1369.jpg

Looking good with 15 rounds.

TapAhoy!

Still look great. Thank you. Now it just comes down to when this damn weather warms and dries up.
Just curious are the numbers red on all your soles? I do not recall the ones I have seen being red on the sole.

Still look great. Thank you. Now it just comes down to when this damn weather warms and dries up.
Just curious are the numbers red on all your soles? I do not recall the ones I have seen being red on the sole.

Yeah i painted them, they come with the standard black numbers

Back