Bridgestone J40 Fairway Woods and Hybrids

I haven't hit mine for a minute here. I know it'll be back in the bag eventually since the X-Hot is taking a trip to the outing. I'm glad I have it in reserve since it treated me well.

Well, what is scary for me is that this is the first hybrid I will have gamed since the I20 last summer. I start blocking them off to the right nonstop like I was quitting at impact and just got sick and tired of it.

I had an old 07 Burner hybrid that I just to kill it with, then its like I forgot how to hit them

Maybe it just got in your head dude. Start fresh! I think the length and loft of the 3h makes it pretty easy to hit.

Maybe it just got in your head dude. Start fresh! I think the length and loft of the 3h makes it pretty easy to hit.

Yeah, thats why im so excited to get this in my hand. Love it, I'll go 2h and 4H for the MC, if not then I maybe go with 1 and go with a 4I or another FW wood

Thank you, and it sounds like our games are a lot alike, I put the driver out there a good poke but it can get a little crooked at times. I hit the 16 degree 3 times off the tee on Par 4's Saturday and they were right down the middle approx 240 to 250 I was very pleased.

@shapep - first of all, that's an awesome bag you have there in your sig. Secondly, I definitely agree with you about the 16* 4 wood......it really is like having a 2nd 'mini driver' in the bag. It's just a matter of putting a nice, controlled swing on it and the distance is definitely there. I've found myself using it more and more off the tee as it keeps me in play a lot. I can crank my driver out there, but it is often wayward and I'd rather sacrifice some yardage and be in play (you kind of learn that the hard way).

For my fellow Bridgestone staffers in this years MC, we have ordered our drivers today which means shortly FWs and Hybrids will be asked for as well. What are everones thoughts with set-ups and shafts. I am going with a 4w (shaft TBD) and 3 hybrids with the VTS HYbrid Silver shafts in them. What about everyone else??

For my fellow Bridgestone staffers in this years MC, we have ordered our drivers today which means shortly FWs and Hybrids will be asked for as well. What are everones thoughts with set-ups and shafts. I am going with a 4w (shaft TBD) and 3 hybrids with the VTS HYbrid Silver shafts in them. What about everyone else??

No idea quite yet, Im fairly certain a 3W

Then if all goes well with the demo J40 you sent me, I'll go with 2H and 4H, not sure on the shafts yet

Going with a 3W with an Adlila RIP ALPHA 70 in it, cut to 43"

Then I will be going with a 2H and 4H with VTS Hybrid Black shafts.

EDIT: It's 43" to begin with, so they are going to cut a whole lot of nothing on that 3W

Last edited:
Anybody considering the PX hybrid shafts? I was very surprised how much I liked it in the 3h.

Anybody considering the PX hybrid shafts? I was very surprised how much I liked it in the 3h.

Its on my ponder list, having not gamed hybrids in awhile, i wont be too picky when the time comes and will certainly be reading lots of reviews on the shaft options available to us

I know it won't be the perfect fit for everybody, but I thought is was very solid. That's a really accurate club for me.

I am not for the hybrid but I am for the FW. I did not get along at all with the shaft in the driver but that might of been I had the wrong flex shaft for my SS. I tried one in a FW with the correct flex when I got fitted and the numbers were good so it is a strong possibility.

This excites me. Im going to rock a 4 wood and I cant wait for the time that it comes to order!
I know it won't be the perfect fit for everybody, but I thought is was very solid. That's a really accurate club for me.

I think you guys will love the hybrids if you go with any. Seems to be a common theme.

Still haven't hit the fairway woods for some reason.

I think you guys will love the hybrids if you go with any. Seems to be a common theme.

Still haven't hit the fairway woods for some reason.

Im really excited to try one out today. Havent since December when I was crushing it on a launch monitor down in Myrtle. Just want confirmation it wasnt a fluke. Hoping after my lesson at galaxy I can get some launch monitor time with the 3H WR sent to me

Some great pondering going on, I love seeing all the different shafts and options/setups being considered. Keep 'em coming!!!

Hit this today in a sim.

The face is HOT. I feel like I wasnt even putting good swings on it and the ball just flew.

Most 3H carry were 195 range, total distance of 208 on average, which I will gladly take.

Need to work on making better contact and then this thing could be deadly

I'm with you Mike. It's got a great looking ball flight outdoors for me as well.

Hit this today in a sim.

The face is HOT. I feel like I wasnt even putting good swings on it and the ball just flew.

Most 3H carry were 195 range, total distance of 208 on average, which I will gladly take.

Need to work on making better contact and then this thing could be deadly

Glad to see you liked the results Mike.

Glad to see you liked the results Mike.

Yeah and I really think I left alot out there, not sure what I was doing wrong but it wasnt pure solid contact, eager to get that fixed and see what the new results are!

That's a good start Mike! Anyone who has reservations about the hybrids shouldn't. They're solid distance wise and pretty easy to hit. Only thing to keep in mind is they are a little more traditionally lofted with the 3H at 21˚, where most of the new stuff has a 3H at 19˚. Can't wait until all this equipment starts coming in for you guys.

Yeah and I really think I left alot out there, not sure what I was doing wrong but it wasnt pure solid contact, eager to get that fixed and see what the new results are!

Takes a minute. You'll know when you're there. You can definitely feel it when you hammer one. What shaft does the one you're hitting have in it?

That's a good start Mike! Anyone who has reservations about the hybrids shouldn't. They're solid distance wise and pretty easy to hit. Only thing to keep in mind is they are a little more traditionally lofted with the 3H at 21˚, where most of the new stuff has a 3H at 19˚. Can't wait until all this equipment starts coming in for you guys.

I agree with this. For me, this one almost fits into what I'd consider the 4h slot for me. Maybe 3.5h.

I agree with this. For me, this one almost fits into what I'd consider the 4h slot for me. Maybe 3.5h.

The lofts on these are basically a straight replacement for what would be my 3 or 4I. But compared to other offerings, I have to agree with you. The 3H is a great 200-210 club. Only thing that will bear watching for me is if I'm able to get the ball to sit a little for me as I get more comfortable. Right now, I'm playing these to run a bit after the ball comes down. Don't want anything crazy, I'd just like to be comfortable hitting to a middle pin, that if I land on the front it won't roll off. My range practice with the three hybrid on Wednesday was promising but the greens at that range aren't exactly mowed short.

I think I'll be alright on that end because of the softer shaft. It's not quite X-Hot high for me, but it gets up there. I'm glad I bought this. As soon as I send the X-Hot down to the outing I'll have a solid hybrid to replace it. Hard to beat that.

Back