When do you stop having fun playing?

I'd play in the snow and not think twice about it. As long as there wasn't ice or anything to make it dangerous or mess up the mechanics of my swing to the point I couldn't make decent contact, I'd be fine with it.

Never...I always have a good time....good or bad playing...life's too short to take it thaT serious

I'd play in the snow and not think twice about it. As long as there wasn't ice or anything to make it dangerous or mess up the mechanics of my swing to the point I couldn't make decent contact, I'd be fine with it.

"Most" snow storms in Nebraska include 15-25 mph wind with a pretty darn cold windchill. But more power to ya if you can do it.

I never stop having fun due to my own bad play. I just like hitting balls, even if they're duffers. More than my own play though, golf is about having a good time with friends and strangers. I must admit that a bad group can kill my fun for a round.

I played a few times with this girl who would never watch anyone's shots, had a bad attitude, fudged scores giving crazy reasons why shots don't count (my favorite being "if I hit a shot less than 20 yards it isn't a stroke"), mentally check out when she was bad (often), and worst of all have her nose buried in her phone the whole time. I didn't have fun during those rounds.

Another time I played with this guy who was obsessed with money games. He'd make par or hit a nice shot and my friend and I would compliment him. He'd grumble and say, "bah, wasted it!" We're scratching our heads the next couple of times and finally his wife (who was horrible but insisted that it was because she was out of pro v1's) explained that he says that because he hates "wasting" good shots in non-money games. That guy killed my buzz a little bit. I'm trying to be better about it but crappy people being crappy is just one of those things that depresses me.

Pace of play is a buzzkill too. That's one of the reasons I don't care much for deals on greens fees. I'll take a 3-3.5 hr round for $70 anyday. The last time I got a great deal on a round I ended being on the 13th tee about 6 hours in. Worst. Round. Ever.

Last edited:

Says the guy from Florida. You obviously have never tried to putt through a half inch of snow. Or teed off and watched your ball vanish into the whiteout. Played in an early spring tournament a few years ago. It started snowing when my group was playing on the 16th hole. We finished 16 and 17, then had hit our tee shots into the whiteout on 18 when the horn blew to suspend play because putting had become impossible (we ended up with almost a foot of snow from the storm). At the time about half the field had finished, but the round had to be cancelled and replayed a couple of weeks later.

I chipped off a frozen water hazard last year. First time I have not taken a penalty stroke after hitting into a pond.

I stop having fun when a bad case of the shanks show up. By bad I mean a case that sticks around for a week or so, sometimes longer, that makes for some miserable golf for me.

The one and only time I stopped having fun playing was March 2008 when I was away for a golf weekend - I had had a car accident in the December and suffered some neck problems, but decided to still go and play as I thought it would have been fine

Unfortunately, the weather on the first day started okay, but then went rapidly downhill and was raining and got very cold and my neck started giving me problems and I couldn't swing the club so after about 7 holes I had to walk off and headed back in to the hotel to warm up and went to the pool for a swim and a soak in the jacuzzi

This definitely helped and I managed a full round the next day without any trouble, although the weather was sunny and warm so it made life a lot easier

I am famous for beating myself up during a round, just ask anyone who has played with me here. I think of how I used to play many years ago and compare it to now and get frustrated.
A very wise person last weekend said " man you sure are hard on yourself it must be the Marine in you". I had to sit back and laugh at that, deep inside I am super competitive. I sat there waiting for the fairways to clear and I thought to myself, man he sure is right, why beat yourself up when you only get to play once a month if your lucky, you can't expect to be that good w/o more playing time.
I always enjoy playing and I'm going to enjoy it even more now that I have set realistic goals for myself.

The only time i kind of stop having fun is when a round takes over 5 hours because i really don't have 5+ hours to be out on the course. Plus i get hungry so that makes me grumpy! haha.. But when this happens i realize im with good friends and just grab a beer.

could be one of, or a combination of the following:

-in pain
-playing unreasonably bad
-losing a lot of balls (falls under the aforementioned)
-playing with annoying people
-course isn't straight (as in, for example, some greens are faster or slower than others)

to me, though, it's all about if i can say i had fun in one way or another at the end of the day. the day i can't say that is the day i quit golf.

could be one of, or a combination of the following:

-in pain
-playing unreasonably bad
-losing a lot of balls (falls under the aforementioned)

-playing with annoying people
-course isn't straight (as in, for example, some greens are faster or slower than others)

to me, though, it's all about if i can say i had fun in one way or another at the end of the day. the day i can't say that is the day i quit golf.

These are certainly never fun

Back