Need a new car/vehicle/SUV- $25K & under

This is why my NA 2.4 Honda motor has so much more torque that most of the smaller DI turbo's out there, especially the domestic. While DI is great for fuel mileage and theoretically the longevity of the motor this has yet to be proven so in gasoline motors. I've been extremely unimpressed with all of the offerings domestically until you start getting in to supercars. Hyundai, Chevrolet, and Ford all have a DI turbo out right now that was really lacking when I drove them.

Isn't ECOBOOST DI technology?

252hp/272tq for their 4 cylinder and 360hp/420tq for the 6 cylinder doesn't sound too bad. I drove the Taurus SHO with the EcoBoost V6 and it was a pretty powerful car for as huge as it is. The EcoBoost F150 is also impressive for a V6 truck, more power and better fuel economy than the 5.4L.

Since good MPG is a must, be careful with the new Kia's and Hyundai's, not saying they aren't good cars(they have came a longgggg way) but combined they just set back $412 million to repay buyers because of false MPG claims for 2011+ models. I've been doing a lot of research on economy cars and there are a lot of Kia & Hyundai owners on forums that are unhappy with their mileage.

Since good MPG is a must, be careful with the new Kia's and Hyundai's, not saying they aren't good cars(they have came a longgggg way) but combined they just set back $412 million to repay buyers because of false MPG claims for 2011+ models. I've been doing a lot of research on economy cars and there are a lot of Kia & Hyundai owners on forums that are unhappy with their mileage.

My Optima didn't fall under that, it actually gets better than claimed, but my wife's Sportage did. I have seen a 1mpg difference from the claimed (which has been adjusted on all new cars). Kia gave me a gas card that they reload based on mileage on the vehicle and then a convenience addition. I have gotten $65 loaded on it so far.

I am actually very pleased with the way they handled the situation, being that the rating only changed by 1MPG. Driving habits have a much larger effect on my mileage than their ratings being off by that little.

Isn't ECOBOOST DI technology?

252hp/272tq for their 4 cylinder and 360hp/420tq for the 6 cylinder doesn't sound too bad. I drove the Taurus SHO with the EcoBoost V6 and it was a pretty powerful car for as huge as it is. The EcoBoost F150 is also impressive for a V6 truck, more power and better fuel economy than the 5.4L.

True however when I drove the Focus ST with the Ecoboost I was unimpressed. Going strictly off numbers even with all that HP it still only gets to 60 in .4 seconds quicker than a NA Civic SI with about 55 less HP (That's about a 20% sacrifice). I know half a second sounds like a lot but when you consider amateur drivers it isn't really much when you are talking 6 second range.

It will be interesting to see how the Ecoboost fares in the long run as it's too early to tell if they have any glaring problems.

Anyway I don't want to derail this thread any longer. GL with your search DB!

I think ford is missing a big market not putting an economic boost in a ranger, though it would probably be just expensive as a full size at that point.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

AWD under 25k is going to be tough. I'd give you some suggestions as an ASE certified master tech for over 10 years but last time i voiced my opinion some people became extremely flustered. I'd be happy to give you any advice through PM.

JRod please voice your opinions because I think I'm about to be in the same position. I need something with good MPG for work and my SUV right now is falling apart. Something that has a decent trunk as well. Hope it's OK I'm in here as well OP

JRod please voice your opinions because I think I'm about to be in the same position. I need something with good MPG for work and my SUV right now is falling apart. Something that has a decent trunk as well. Hope it's OK I'm in here as well OP

Everyone looks for something different man. If you want something dependable that isn't gonna cost a fortune to own buy a Honda or Toyota . Even Hyundai and KIA have made leaps and bounds .

I'll leave it at that as I don't feel like having any arguments about cars again.

Everyone looks for something different man. If you want something dependable that isn't gonna cost a fortune to own buy a Honda or Toyota . Even Hyundai and KIA have made leaps and bounds .

I'll leave it at that as I don't feel like having any arguments about cars again.

Sorry dude. Thought this was a new thread and I had not read it.

It appears instead of just making suggestions and leaving it for the person asking the question to make final decision, everyone has the best in class and is trying to sell what they own.

It appears instead of just making suggestions and leaving it for the person asking the question to make final decision, everyone has the best in class and is trying to sell what they own.

For the most part everyone loves the car they own man and that's great. Unfortunately I have made my livelihood for the better part of 15 years working on them so I think I have some sort of valid opinion . People get almost as mad if you insult their vehicle manufacturer as they do about Tiger Woods :)

For the most part everyone loves the car they own man and that's great. Unfortunately I have made my livelihood for the better part of 15 years working on them so I think I have some sort of valid opinion . People get almost as mad if you insult their vehicle manufacturer as they do about Tiger Woods :)

You would think when asking for an opinion, you would want someone with experience to answer, but like you said, everyone thinks they own the best.

I'm with you man, I'm a huge car nut(drag racing is my other hobby) and discussing cars in an open forum is one of the most difficult topics to talk about without every one getting their panties in a bunch, especially when it comes to talking racing!

True however when I drove the Focus ST with the Ecoboost I was unimpressed. Going strictly off numbers even with all that HP it still only gets to 60 in .4 seconds quicker than a NA Civic SI with about 55 less HP (That's about a 20% sacrifice). I know half a second sounds like a lot but when you consider amateur drivers it isn't really much when you are talking 6 second range.

It will be interesting to see how the Ecoboost fares in the long run as it's too early to tell if they have any glaring problems.

Anyway I don't want to derail this thread any longer. GL with your search DB!
Threads evolve, and he's getting lots of good info, so it's not too derailed. I like hearing your opinions.

You would think when asking for an opinion, you would want someone with experience to answer, but like you said, everyone thinks they own the best.
I quit thinking that after I bought an Isuzu Impulse back in 1987.

glad for all the help. She test drove Rav4(her initial want), Forrester, & VXCrosstrak.. 2013 RAV4 is winning.

Happily Tapping

glad for all the help. She test drove Rav4(her initial want), Forrester, & VXCrosstrak.. 2013 RAV4 is winning.

Happily Tapping

Hopefully it's winning because it's better, and not because that's what she wants!

We tested the Forester before the Outback. In fact the Outback wasn't even a consideration. The passenger seat sat way lower than the driver's side and she didn't like it!

new fusions are pretty awesome! I'm thinking about getting one of the hybrid models myself.

Happily Tapping

In that class, the AWD Mazda Cx-5 is definitely worth a drive and at the right price. My dad has one and I've spent a few thousand miles behind the wheel. It's not very powerful, but it gets great mileage (26-32mpg actually recorded depending on terrain and speed) and handles extremely well for what it is. With winter Pirellis, it does great in the snow too.

A friend is a broker & is bringing a 2012 Rav4 to us tomorrow to look over. He sold it to another woman, new, & she traded it for a new car yesterday! 20k miles.
Smalls, I am letting Beth make her own choices for this vehicle. I don't have any issues w/ Toyota, so I feel pretty safe.

I think ford is missing a big market not putting an economic boost in a ranger, though it would probably be just expensive as a full size at that point.

Ford doesn't offer the Ranger in the US any longer. Sadly, I believe only GM is moving forward with midsize pickup truck models.

I get great mileage in my 2011 Kia Forte Koup SX. Now that wasn't one of the models on the MPG claims, and the listed MPG for it on the Kia website is 23 city/ 31 hwy. If I do primarily highway driving, I get closer to 33 MPG than 31. I have also never gotten worse than 25 MPG, and that was with single digit temps and a 4 mile commute to work where the engine doesn't even have time to heat up

Check crash test scores too. Your family will be in there. Offset crash and rear crash in particular. Rear crash is mostly a function of seat design and they may not kill you, but it doesn't take much to injure a neck or back and have lifelong problems, IIHS scores better than NHTSA.

The new Mazda CX-5 is winning all of the CUV comparisons these days.
The new 2013 Mazda 6 sedan is as well and it is drop dead gorgeous. Well equipped for 25k list
Subaru Forrester and Outlook are outstanding and tend to crash test like Japanese Volvos.

It's hard to find a bad car these days. Any of the OEMs with 100k warranties will be safe as far as TCO.

Also, don't overlook the idea of getting a nice, low mileage certified car off of a 2-year lease. Dealers are loaded with them, often with better warranties than new. A 2-yr old, low mileage Infiniti G37x, or EX35, for instance, are incredible values for money.

For the record, no brand loyalty here. I get company cars, currently a Taurus, wife gets whatever we think is the best lease deal of our favorites each cycle, currently a M-B GLK. Have had some of everything over the years -Mazda, Honda, acura, Nissan, ford, Audi, Volvo, Saab, M-B. Only an Audi was a negative experience.

Ford doesn't offer the Ranger in the US any longer. Sadly, I believe only GM is moving forward with midsize pickup truck models.

I miss the old Rangers, but understand why Ford killed it off. The only small/mid-sized truck that still sold over 100,000 units a year in the US was the Tacoma. Ranger ran #2, and everything else was a distant rank below that. With the amount of money it take to redesign something, it got cut. Lord knows, that truck more than paid for itself over the years considering how long that design was around.

A lot of people comment that Ford should bring the Ranger sold in the rest of the world here to replace it. One problem with that - it's almost the same size and capability as a F-150. And there is no way Ford is going to bring in a competitor to the best-selling nameplate in the US. Maybe someday we'll see a new small truck...

Bought RAV4. lowmiles n looks untouched by human hands! she loves it.

Happily Tapping

Back