Well here we go! (to Golftec)

Martsy

Reaction score
Handicap
18.5 GHIN
Turns out there's a Golftec not two miles from my house, so decided to take the plunge and find out just how bad I am. Getting my swing analyzed this Saturday, going to do at a minimum 10 lesson/3 months practice as well I think. I was on the fence going all out on this, given that before last month, I hadn't played in 7 or 8 years, and even when I did play I was a 20 handicap. Now, I'm sure I'd be off the charts. My initial feeling was that since I am so rusty, that I might be better off just getting back into mediocre shape first with my game, and then find out some specific tweaks I need to be a teenager handicap....but then I decided why not look a gift horse in the mouth. The bright side of not playing for so long is that I've also forgotten most of my bad habits, and might as well start with more or less a clean slate. So anyway...excited about the eval/lessons. The pro I'm meeting Saturday sure is going to earn his money with all the corrections he's going to be pointing out :laughing:

Last edited:
congrats on getting back into the game and good luck on your lessons.

Turns out there's a Golftec not two miles from my house, so decided to take the plunge and find out just how bad I am. Getting my swing analyzed this Saturday, going to do at a minimum 10 lesson/3 months practice as well I think. I was on the fence going all out on this, given that before last month, I hadn't played in 7 or 8 years, and even when I did play I was a 20 handicap. Now, I'm sure I'd be off the charts. My initial feeling was that since I am so rusty, that I might be better off just getting back into mediocre shape first with my game, and then find out some specific tweaks I need to be a teenager handicap....but then I decided why not look a gift horse in the mouth. The bright side of not playing for so long is that I've also forgotten most of my bad habits, and might as well start with more or less a clean slate. So anyway...excited about the eval/lessons. The pro I'm meeting Saturday sure is going to earn his money with all the corrections he's going to be pointing out :laughing:

Yeah, definitely DO NOT take matters into your own hands. Your muscles have memory and they will take you on a path to the dark side quicker than you can say shank-a-potomous. :)

You'll do fine, keep us up to date with your progress. And congrats on getting back into the game...

Oh, I'll definitely post the vid from this weekend. At the very least it should be good for a laugh, and hopefully make you all feel better about your game. Watching the Haney project tonight, I'd say me and Phelps would be a good match.
Sent from my Windows 8 Phone

Oh, I'll definitely post the vid from this weekend. At the very least it should be good for a laugh, and hopefully make you all feel better about your game. Watching the Haney project tonight, I'd say me and Phelps would be a good match.
Sent from my Windows 8 Phone

Game? What game? Hard to play in the snow here bro!! :)

Haney could screw you up too. Stay away... Jk. Phelps has mad skills, just not on the course.

Congrats....I know GolfTEC will treat you right...I am finally starting to see some really good results!

Get er done buddy!!! I wish I lived next to a big golf store.

Awesome stuff bud! I hope you enjoy it all.

Sounds like a great move! Welcome back! Be really interested to hear how it goes.

Wow, what a humbling, but great experience. I knew that even though I was getting by with ok results, mechanically I was not sound...but my god, my swing was terrible. Though by the end of my swing eval, I was already noting marketable improvement just from some very simple adjustments, that I really think I needed to see on tape for me to believe them. I decided to bite the bullet, signed up for 15 lessons/6 months with practice time. the goal is 18 or lower handicap before end of the season...so I can start dreaming of the Morgan cup :p.

p.s. thankfully...even though it's been 7 hours and he said it would take about two, for some reason my video lessons aren't showing up yet, which saves me the embarrassment of sharing just yet....but I will, as a lesson to all of what NOT to do :p (though my address admitted was tour level apparently, all within 1 degree tilt/bend of shoulders/waist. It just went to hell quickly once I started moving.)

Well I promised I'd share so here goes. First video is my swing at the start of lesson #1 with what I basically came in with (please try not to laugh)... and second video is from yesterday after lesson #2. Just came back from the range and feel so much better already about distance and feel of my body on impact. Still taking a little getting used to, but basically these were my takeaways so far that I'm working on:

1. moved from a weak grip to a string grip
2. bring club straight back to start backswing
3. No hip sway to the right on backswing
4. Minimize hip rotation on backswing
5. Move laterally to start down swing

Obviously a bunch more to work on....but trying not to get too far ahead of myself and concentrate on a few things at once and get those down. 13 lessons to go....

Last edited:
Just watched the videos and seems like great strides have and will be made for your swing. I am a little jealous though, as my closest GolfTec is about an hour away (with no traffic).

Nice bit of improvement for one lesson, he has got you working on some of the same things that I am. Good luck with your journey and I look forward to following along.

Back