2009 President's Cup

Ok. Beautiful day here, so after morning chores, I headded over to Harding for some information. Here's what I know:
I have the hole by hole details on this if anyone wants it. Harding is customarily 6845 (par 36-36).

Yes Ricey!!! I want details!!! Pics would be awesome too!!:D

I guess we now have our own President's Cup investigative reporter!

Yay Ricey!

Great job, Ricey. I've always been curious about the ballet that is putting a tourney together on site.

Yes Ricey!!! I want details!!!

Ok, so yardage details:

New Hole #1 par 5 562 this was #10 and lengthened from 550 yrds.
2 par 3 200 " " " " " #11 was 185 yds
3 par 4 475 " " " " " #12 was 480 yds
4 par 4 428 " " " " " #13 was 405 yds
5 par 5 606 " " " " " #4 was 580 yds
6 par 4 429 #5 was 395 yds
7 par 4 473 #6 was 440 yds
8 par 4 449 #2 was 430 yds
9 par 3 183 #3 was 165 yds
10 par 4 467 #14 was 440 yds
11 par 3 230 # 8 was 200 yds
12 par 4 405 #15 was 405 yds
13 par 4 336 #16 was 330 yds
14 par 3 164 #17 was 175 yds
15 par 4 468 #18 was 440 yds
16 par 4 393 # 1 was 395 yds
17 par 4 344 #7 was 335 yds
18 par 5 525 #9 was 495 yds

I think that's correct. Long day here, so go easy on me.

Re: pics - I'll do my best. I'll be going over to get my uni on Sat, and can take a few pics then - only if I see anything interesting. Will need Spousal assistance for posting them here. I'll tote the camera during my first shift on 10/6. Really, these men's events get so crowded that it's difficult to see much, but I'll try.

I guess we now have our own President's Cup investigative reporter!

I'll do what I can Harry. Before the PC, though, I'm chairing the driving range for the CVS LPGA. Less than 2 weeks away :clapp: Will definitely report in from there.

After I heard about Greg Norman's picks I'm thinkin that if the international team win this president's cup it might be considered one of the biggest upsets in golf.

Those events never carry high favoritism. Too many variables involved, with so many players and uncertain pairings. I checked a few nights ago and the United States was a 1/2 favorite, which is roughly the money line equivalent of a 4.5 point chalk in a football game.

Of course you do--except she didn't specify for which tournament she would give it. Or perhaps for both of them?

Well, unless Fred Funk somehow makes the P.C. team, I think skorts will be limited to the CVS.

Well, unless Fred Funk somehow makes the P.C. team, I think skorts will be limited to the CVS.

Ya gotta remember -the PC is in San Fran! :D

This reminds me of something funny that happened at the Safeway Classic. When we arrived at the gate on Wed, an old guy volunteer welcomed us and insisted on giving us a hug. Well, he hugged me, then turned to Spouse and Spouse said " you don't want to hug me, I'm from San Francisco!" Gave us all a good laugh.

The fog never lifted today - Ugh! If you were playing out there today, you'd be lucky if you could see half way down a par 4.

Got my uniform, though. I was given 2 powder blue golf shirts from the "Greg Norman's women's collection". They are fitted - yay! - and have that stay dry/play dry feature. Very Nice. The jacket is made by Sun Mountain. It's dark blue with white vents on the sides. Cap is white with the PC logo on it - nothing to shout about there. The credential came with a sturdy lanyard. First time I've seen barcoding on a credential - this might make it easier to account for volunteer meals, and such. Dunno.

Vols will be shuttled in each day from an offsite parking lot. Looks like I'll be able to walk to my assignment, so I don't have to bother with that.

There was a huge contingent of grounds workers at the course today. Got a feeling when they're done, this will not be your (or my) Father's Harding Park.

Wow--you can tell it's getting close if you've got your uniform!

One of the smaller City papers recently printed an article by our local Supervisor re: traffic challenges, public parking arrangments, and the anticipated gate. Here are the anticipated attendance figures:

"On Tuesday, Oct. 6 and Wednesday Oct. 7, we expect about 10,000 visitors; on Thursday, Oct. 8 and Friday Oct. 9, we expect approximately 20,000 visitors; on Saturday, Oct 10 and Sunday, Oct 11, we expect appproximately 25,000 visitors."

I'll post more info as I get it.
If anyone is coming here - public transit is going to be the best way to travel. Let me know if you need info.

Ok - Going to bump this thread up for this week.

I'm just back from the volunteer training and party. My committee - Admissions - briefly convened on the 15th grandstands for some Q & A. All tickets will be barcoded, so we will be outfitted with scanners. Fans 12yrs old and younger are in free with a paying adult. The event is "on the verge of a sellout" - good news all around. Best news: I can walk from home to my post. Yay!

After the training, we were directed to a huge tent for the party. 1400 volunteers were expected - and boy, were they ready for us. It's hard to indicate how big the tent was, but it accommodated 20 (or more) large screen TVs showing football, then more football. Food and drink stations were scattered around. I did my best (Spouse really is the expert in this field), but I only sampled the shrimp stir fry and the Mexican. I couldn't manage the Italian, Thai, or other dishes. Oh, dessert I did manage. :D Wines by Greg Norman, of course. Many announcements were made. Why San Francisco? The players love it here. Which Presidents will attend? Clinton on Tuesday and Bush Sr. throughout the week. Course is closed on Monday - some players (TW) will practice without the public watching. Lots of thank yous, prize giveaways, and a performance by (if you've been here, you know it ) Beach Blanket Babylon singing "San Francisco, Open Your Golden Gate." One odd thing occured - a heafty branch of a Cypress tree broke off and landed with a thud. Crews scrambled to clear it away. The course is lined with old growth Cypress. Let's hope we don't have a repeat of that!

I report to my gate early on Tuesday - I'll post again as I can.

<----- Soooooo jealous!

Alright gang.....who you got as the Presidents Cup draws near? I know I won't be alone in this, but I'm going to go with a pretty convincing win by the American squad. I think the teams are fairly even at top of both sides, but the depth of the Americans will prove to be too much for the International team to overcome.

I am working from home on Friday with the TV tuned in the entire time! I can't wait!!!

Tuesday Report

I trotted over to my post at the Harding Road Gate (2) in the early am. 5 of us were soon equipped with barcode readers - armed and dangerous. We were told to expect 2,000 or so fans. Fans began arriving by shuttle bus, and were subject to stricter security searches than I've ever seen. Everyone was "wanded", and if and when cell phones were detected, the phones were deposited by security at the gate to be retrieved by the fans upon exit. I didn't see anyone object. From Wednesday to Sunday, this policy will also include cameras. That may disappoint some folks. A notable exception to the "wanding" was when Pres Clinton arrived via motorcade - with his white hair, he was easy to see even through the smoked glass windows. Very exciting.

Our location was closest to hole #14 ( a par 3), so we'd glance at an adjacent manual scoreboard to see which players were approaching, then take turns dashing over to the grandstands to watch. Very fun. I saw the 2 Aussies Allenby and Ogilvy, the young Ishikawa, and the exciting YE Yang. Their shots were razor sharp - most birdied, but hey, it's just practice. Norman was walking with them and sported a black sling for his right arm. Don't know what that was about. Once my shift was complete I walked to the Captain's Club which is adjacent to the 16th fairway. From the deck, I could see Freddie and the Americans - ha - sounds like an old rock band. All were very casual and laughing, appearing to be out for a casual round.

Tomorrow will be similar to today, so I may not have much new to report. I don't think I'll stay for the opening ceremonies - too long of a day for me.

By the way - If you haven't heard, it's sold out so if you're coming, use whatever connections that you have for tickets.

I trotted over to my post at the Harding Road Gate (2) in the early am. 5 of us were soon equipped with barcode readers - armed and dangerous.

Love it! :D

The Thursday Foursome pairings (PT) according to golfdigest.com:
12:10 p.m. Mike Weir/Tim Clark (International) vs. Anthony Kim/Mickelson (U.S.)

12:22 p.m.: Adam Scott/Ernie Els (International) vs. Hunter Mahan/Sean O'Hair (U.S.)

12:34 p.m.: Vijay Singh/Robert Allenby (International) vs. Lucas Glover/Stewart Cink (U.S.)

12:46 p.m.: Angel Cabrera/Camilo Villegas (Internationa) vs. Kenny Perry/Jim Furyk (U.S.)

12:58 p.m: Geoff Ogilvy/Ryo Ishikawa (International) vs. Steve Stricker/Tiger Woods (U.S.)

1:10 p.m.: Retief Goosen/Y.E. Yang (International) vs. Jim Furyk/Justin Leonard (U.S.)

EDIT: GC is giving different tee times:

Thursday tee times

Foursome matches (alternate shot)

2:30 p.m. ET – Kim / Mickelson (USA) vs. Weir / Clark (International)

2:40 p.m. ET – Mahan / O'Hair (USA) vs. Scott / Els (International)

2:50 p.m. ET – Glover / Cink (USA) vs. Singh / Allenby (International)

3:00 p.m. ET – Perry / Johnson (USA) vs. Cabrera / Villegas (International)

3:10 p.m. ET – Woods / Stricker (USA) vs. Ogilvy / Ishikawa (International)

3:20 p.m. ET – Furyk / Leonard (USA) vs. Goosen / Yang (International)

FWIW, golf.com is giving the same times as golfdigest.com.

Last edited:
Well, today was a bit of a workout - I was able to enjoy a little later starting time, but I was placed at a much more active gate - the fans seemed to arrive in thundering herds! We did get a chance to see some play, since we were adjacent to the 3rd fairway and saw several groups of the Internationals make tee and approach shots. (Els is tall!) Most tee shots were straight as string, but those who had to recover from the (mostly left rough, did so without much trouble. At noon or so, I was able to walk to the driving range, but on my way I stopped at the Opening ceremonies pavilion to see and hear the Air force band, bagpipers and drum and fife musicians practice. Dunno how this area appeared on TV, but it wasn't very large. Almost looked like a small English court.

I walked on from there to the Driving Range and enjoyed the show for a bit. Several Americans were hitting drives. The most impressive were those using the Nike (I think) square headed driver - Cink, Leonard, Glover. Wow - action packed drives! And, as I think about it now - the crowd (full grandstands) was silent, as if in awe.

Had a nice perch from which to enjoy lunch, then I walked to 18 to see some of the Internationals finish - then I got caught in a autograph crazed crowd - ugh! Got to say there are a lot of fans following the Internationals. Players began to retreat to dressing rooms and limos and motorcades, accompanied by lots of police and a large police canine unit began to make their way to the ceremonial area. About this time (2pm or so) the fog rolled on in, so I rolled on home.

Back at it tomorrow - morning gate duty, afternoon tournament compound duty.

Back to you as I can.

Tiger and Stricker. I'll be pulling for my fellow cheesehead, Strick. Tiger calls him Strick, so I'm going to, too. My daughter is learning his swing. Trying to, at least, she's twelve.

Kevin

Back