Need some Charlotte, NC (or nearby) course ideas...

HuskAir

Reaction score
Handicap
My dad is going to be coming to visit me in Charlotte this June. Fortunately, he's bringing his clubs along. I'm looking for some recommendations of where to take him golfing, to give him a unique southeastern golf experience (he's from Nebraska). I'd prefer to keep green fees around $50 (or less) for 18.

I ask, because I really haven't had a chance to get out and explore Charlotte and the surrounding area golf courses, since moving here last year.

Looking forward to what y'all recommend!

Thanks in advance!

What part of Charlotte are you looking to play? I can give several good recommendations based on where you're looking.

What part of Charlotte are you looking to play? I can give several good recommendations based on where you're looking.

Just around Charlotte... say within a 2 hour drive...

Last edited:
For the South Charlotte area you can't go wrong in condition or layout with Springfield (Fort Mill), Carolina Lakes (Indian Land), or the Resort Course at Ballantyne (will cost you a little more).

West of town Verdict Ridge is a solid choice though maybe just out of that price range if a weekend round. Deer Brook in Shelby is also a nice track out that way, but I can't speak to its conditions right now.

East of town I think Charlotte National is one of the best bangs for the buck in town. Stonebridge (Monroe) will never let you down. Olde Sycamore (Matthews) is a good option also, though I don't know their current conditions either.

North of town my personal favorite is Red Bridge (Locust) and I play more rounds here than any other. Rocky River by the speedway is a nice layout in great shape right now. A little further north and west is Fox Den (Statesville), Havent played there in awhile but a solid layout that is always in good shape.

All of these are within 45 mins of downtown with most within 15-20. If you're up for a little more of a drive, check out Tot Hill Farm in Asheboro (1.5 hrs from downtown approx). It's a Mike Stranz design and rated one of the toughest courses in the nation. Stranz is an artist in course design. Ask the guys from the Myrtle Beach stop at True Blue and Caledonia. It's not on that level, but one I certainly recommend. And there is always the Pinehurst area with its plethora of courses just a couple hours away.

About half Bermuda, half Bent that I've listed, but that early in the summer the bentgrass will still be in good shape.

Hope this helps and just ask away with any other questions.

And by the way, we need to get together for a round sometime!

Very thorough run down. Nice job, I've played a few of those and they are all great tracks

For the South Charlotte area you can't go wrong in condition or layout with Springfield (Fort Mill), Carolina Lakes (Indian Land), or the Resort Course at Ballantyne (will cost you a little more).

West of town Verdict Ridge is a solid choice though maybe just out of that price range if a weekend round. Deer Brook in Shelby is also a nice track out that way, but I can't speak to its conditions right now.

East of town I think Charlotte National is one of the best bangs for the buck in town. Stonebridge (Monroe) will never let you down. Olde Sycamore (Matthews) is a good option also, though I don't know their current conditions either.

North of town my personal favorite is Red Bridge (Locust) and I play more rounds here than any other. Rocky River by the speedway is a nice layout in great shape right now. A little further north and west is Fox Den (Statesville), Havent played there in awhile but a solid layout that is always in good shape.

All of these are within 45 mins of downtown with most within 15-20. If you're up for a little more of a drive, check out Tot Hill Farm in Asheboro (1.5 hrs from downtown approx). It's a Mike Stranz design and rated one of the toughest courses in the nation. Stranz is an artist in course design. Ask the guys from the Myrtle Beach stop at True Blue and Caledonia. It's not on that level, but one I certainly recommend. And there is always the Pinehurst area with its plethora of courses just a couple hours away.

About half Bermuda, half Bent that I've listed, but that early in the summer the bentgrass will still be in good shape.

Thank you a million for the plethora of options. Saving this post for reference!

Tapped from my SIII.

You're most welcome! Perhaps you, dhill and I can get together north of town for a round one day.

If you're gonna go an hour and a half, Old Beau is awesome! Mountain-like golf.

If you're gonna go an hour and a half, Old Beau is awesome! Mountain-like golf.

That is a trip I really need to make!

Also, to add, Rock Barn is a nice little trip to make and some very attractive deals on golfnow and clickit recently.

You're most welcome! Perhaps you, dhill and I can get together north of town for a round one day.

That would be fun!

Tapped from my SIII.

My dad is coming in next week. We are going to be hitting up the Resort Course at Ballantyne. We were going to go for Tot Hill Farm, but to save some time, we will stick closer to town.

Thanks again! Looking forward to the course!

Played there two weeks ago most recently. Beautiful layout and one of the most well maintained public courses around. You guys won't be disappointed.

I work every day until Thursday before I head out of town. If you're playing during the week, stop by the store and say hi. Just 2 exits down.

I don't get to play in the Charlotte area too much, but Rocky River CC out by Concord Mills is really nice and is always in great condition.

We had a great time last week. I had a disastrous front 9, but finished with a 45 on the back 9, which I am content with!

The course was in beautiful shape, though I figured the greens would be a tad faster. Thanks again for the recommendations!

1008376_10100302626127243_1471496427_o_zpsf2305645.jpg

1009271_10100302626142213_74750786_o_zps428b6cdf.jpg

1009514_10100302626421653_446571285_o_zpsc6a6d1cd.jpg

1014487_10100302626591313_203782180_o_zps6c4ede90.jpg

I chipped in for birdie from where the wedge is on the right side of the green. :)

1009534_10100302626217063_1091479675_o_zps06f4e019.jpg

1009367_10100302626117263_2036118234_o_zps4de37ab8.jpg

1008619_10100302626726043_1469837408_o_zps7f7c1922.jpg

1008323_10100302626825843_337469529_o_zps96179669.jpg

Thanks for the pictures...that first hole looks so nice with green grass, blue sky, and white clouds

Glad you guys enjoyed. That right fairway bunker on hole 3 is my nemesis.

Greens are usually fast for public course golf, though last time I was out there they were a little slower than normal too. At the time I was told all the overcast weather was hurting them a little. That mini-verde Bermuda loves the sunshine.

Glad you guys enjoyed. That right fairway bunker on hole 3 is my nemesis.

Greens are usually fast for public course golf, though last time I was out there they were a little slower than normal too. At the time I was told all the overcast weather was hurting them a little. That mini-verde Bermuda loves the sunshine.

We also went a day after a pretty good rain, which may have played a role on the greens being a 'tad' slower. They were in great shape though.

This was the nicest course I think I've played at. Would definitely play again.

Would make a nice course for a THP outing don't ya think? Hint hint wink wink

Most definitely!!

Tapped from my SIII.

Back