The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the range today. I'm actually struggling a bit with the RBZ Stage 2 because of my tempo.

Hit balls for the first time in over 2 weeks, since I'm back home and the weather was so good. That was the good part, but I hit 3 buckets and didn't have very good results. The wind was coming into us on the range, but even with that, I felt like I was hitting everything really high and really short. Normally, I would think that doing that would mean I was opening the clubface, but I was also fighting a big hook on a lot of my shots. I finally hit some good shots with my driver during the last bucket, which is good because I'm going to play my first round of the year tomorrow. I'm still not very confident in my swing after today though, so I'll have to see how it goes on the course tomorrow.

Went to the course tonight to do some practice and was very happy I did. I didn't hit the ball well yesterday when I played, and I was a bit bummed at how much I struggled. However, I was able to work out my issues tonight and get back to the my "good" consistent swing. After some wedges, 7-irons, 5-irons and drivers, I did about an hour of chipping.

a bucket of 80 tonight with my 51 deg. wedge and my 7 iron, and think I struck about 10% satisfactorily. The ones I actually made good contact with are fading/slicing. Hitting my wedges either way fat, or skulling the snot out of them. Seems like no in between. Arggg!!
I have some kind of tempo problem and cant figure it out. My takeaway isnlt right and I am swinging outside to in....changed stance, turn, etc.. and nothing feels right. Time for a lesson and a fundamentals "reset" again...need someone to look at what I am doing.

a bucket of 80 tonight with my 51 deg. wedge and my 7 iron, and think I struck about 10% satisfactorily. The ones I actually made good contact with are fading/slicing. Hitting my wedges either way fat, or skulling the snot out of them. Seems like no in between. Arggg!!
I have some kind of tempo problem and cant figure it out. My takeaway isnlt right and I am swinging outside to in....changed stance, turn, etc.. and nothing feels right. Time for a lesson and a fundamentals "reset" again...need someone to look at what I am doing.

Make sure you're getting your weight forward at impact. Fat and thins happen for the same reason and getting your weight forward should help

After a not so great round on Friday due to my chipping, I went the following day and practice quite a bit with my 3 wedges from different distances using each club. I really feel like I am getting it now:) I just need to crack open the short game bible.

Pounded some balls working on my short game. Need to get it tight to cover up some bad full swings.

BB90FF96-8EB9-4EDF-BB0D-35B6E29F59BE-13832-000007ADCC3EC52F_zpsab4b10f3.jpg

Being able to get it back is important. Great job buddy

Went to the course tonight to do some practice and was very happy I did. I didn't hit the ball well yesterday when I played, and I was a bit bummed at how much I struggled. However, I was able to work out my issues tonight and get back to the my "good" consistent swing. After some wedges, 7-irons, 5-irons and drivers, I did about an hour of chipping.

Curious about something and I apologize if this has been discussed in this thread already. Fellow THPer jmhgolfer was telling me the other day when we played that he's been trying to make 100 swings a day at home, based on Hank Haney's recommendation. I just read in the new Golf Digest, Haney laid it out in his little lesson column. Seems like a good idea to me. Was curious as to whether anyone has tried it for any length of time, and if so, what they felt they got out of it. I took 31 swings in my front yard earlier and tore up my lawn, so i gotta figure out something better.

Had a great lesson tonight..

Worked on really getting my right wrist to turn over through impact and had great results. Cant wait for Saturday now :banana:

Back to the range tonight....

Very excited. Finally figuring out the solutions to swing problems that have plagued me for decades (over-the-top with a healthy side of chicken wing). I think you guys are going to see a new and improved Wade-swing soon. It's not like I think I'll be breaking 80 anytime soon, but I think better rounds are definitely on the horizon.

Decided to head over tforhe course after work before all the storms roll in tonight. Worked on putting and chipping for about an hour and 30/45 minutes or so. On putting really just focusing on alignment and speed. Also working in the 3-5 foot range. Really focusing on speed and alignment on those putts. With the chipping working on using different wedges for different shots. I've always used my 60* for most all chips but I'm deciding that isn't always the best option. So I worked on little bump and runs with my pw and then very short sided down hill chips with my 52*. Had some good success with both shots and will continue to work on this part of my game...

Well I will be back to the range tonight for my Thursday evening session, got the usual 8i - SW plus the 3W in the back of the car

Most likely I will spend a bit more time with the 3W tonight as I was struggling a bit last weekend off the tee with a very inconsistent round where I couldn't guarantee I was going to hit straight/draw/fade so need to have a look at that. General ball striking was pretty decent apart from the odd occasion when I had a really bad lie so am not too worried about that, plus I can't replicate that kind of lie at the range off a mat anyway

Apart from that it will be more practice with the short irons just to keep on top of the short game

Well I will be back to the range tonight for my Thursday evening session, got the usual 8i - SW plus the 3W in the back of the car

Most likely I will spend a bit more time with the 3W tonight as I was struggling a bit last weekend off the tee with a very inconsistent round where I couldn't guarantee I was going to hit straight/draw/fade so need to have a look at that. General ball striking was pretty decent apart from the odd occasion when I had a really bad lie so am not too worried about that, plus I can't replicate that kind of lie at the range off a mat anyway

Apart from that it will be more practice with the short irons just to keep on top of the short game

What's your local range, Doc?

Started my real MC prep last night. Went to the range and hit two buckets. Felt tight but great to be back out there. Had no problems working the ball left to right, couldn't get it to go the other way though. Distance was excellent and very exciting for the first time out. Control was another issue however. I was coming over the top and my timing felt very off. My transition was erratic which is to be expected. I did hit a few very solid though, actually bouncing one off the flag stick from 160 out with an 8 iron. Lots of positives for the first day!

Last two weeks have been a little hectic, so practice time has been tough to find. Did manage to get a solid hour in last night though and it went really well.

Doing a different version of the step drill that involves starting with the club ahead of my feet and for whatever reason it's really helped me recently. I'm using it as a practice swing in my pre-shot routine rather than hitting balls with it. More than anything it helps me feel some separation as well as a solid upper body rotation. From there I'm just stepping up to the ball and letting it go.

Finished up with a little mat putting.

What's your local range, Doc?

I work in Durham and play badminton for Durham City which is based at Belmont, so rather than head home after work to turn round and come back out half an hour later I just work a bit later then head over to Ramside to hit a few balls before going to badminton

I work in Durham and play badminton for Durham City which is based at Belmont, so rather than head home after work to turn round and come back out half an hour later I just work a bit later then head over to Ramside to hit a few balls before going to badminton

Ah, nice track! Not played it for about 3 years now though..

Ah, nice track! Not played it for about 3 years now though..

Played it a few times but the last time was last year as I had a voucher - nice course still and it was in good condition, but it will be interesting to see what changes they make to it now they are adding a further 9 holes to have two full 18 hole courses

The range is fairly decent but a couple of the mats are starting to wear a little bit now so hoping they replace them in the not too distant future, but I certainly won't be stumping up the yearly membership fees for how little I would get to play there (£900 for the year)

It is around £40 a round so I will not be a regular there either

I had a great lesson last night. Reviewed some of the short iron stuff we had gone over last time and worked on my mid/long irons. I have a much better feel for what I've been doing wrong now on most of my misses. So far it's been minor changes that, once I can do them consistently, will really pay off a lot I think. Feeling really good about things, just need to practice what I've been shown now a bunch and get my body to do it.

Glad to see some people making good strides in their games!

Every day this week my buddy and I have spent our lunch hours on the practice green for a couple games of short-game HORSE. There are three pin locations, and we play one ball to each pin from each area that we choose. Today we got in three games, and worked our way all around the green. I won all three matches by a large margin (second match I only had an H due to a shot that just rolled past the pin onto the fringe). Things are starting to come together for both of us with the chipping and pitching.

I had a very encouraging range session today amongst the pollen clouds and rain. I've been workin on my stance and swing and I think I've found a really consistent setup which leads to a good swing. Today was one of the most consistent series of shots I've hit on the range in a long time. Now I just have to remember that on the course

Had a good range session last night, and I have come to the conclusion that my body does not like playing in the cold, wet conditions I had at the weekend as I was hitting the ball very well last night. The guy in the bay next to me was hitting his R11S driver when I went in and I jokingly said I was moving to the other end of the range to not be embarrassed due to the way he was hitting the ball to which he laughed

Once I got warmed up and was happy with the short irons I pulled the 3W and promptly started bombing them beyond the 240yd green either straight or with a very slight draw - next thing I know, the guy next to me is asking which driver I am hitting.....so I showed him that it wasn't a driver :D

So all in all I was very happy with how things went yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back