3 Up Golf - 3F12 Golf Ball Review

I'd be interested in seeing how these compare to MG's Tour C4 Urethane Golf Ball. They are half the price and come with a 60 day money back guarantee in case you don't like them.

Love to hear about them. I love that they give some of the money to charity.

Like the bag they find in and also the 3 green dots, not sure I like the lettering, too big for my eyes.

The charity idea works for me too do bd really interested to see how they play. Tough market though, will they be $14 better than an e5 or Q-star? Are they close enough to a z-star of pro v1, 330 series to make you happy to switch to save $10??

Interesting, over to you Hawk

interesting product. I see them having a hard time selling large quantities but I am interested in the product and looking forward to Hawk's review.

I picked up a dozen of these about 3 weeks ago. They definitely arent my cup of tea. I have about a 95 SS and tend to hit the driver pretty straight, with a push as my miss. Usually no slice with my normal gamer - Hex chrome. These sort of feel squishy on contact and I get more side spin on the ball. I got more of a slice with it. Straight out of the bag, they feel a little more sticky. Kind of reminds me of the Wilson FG tour balls on the surface. Maybe these would work better for faster swing speeds but they just felt kind of dead to me. I dont really spin the ball with my irons so I cant speak to that aspect of the ball. Chips were ok. They would check up a little faster than the hex chromes but not drastically so. I play more of a low running chip so it took some time to get used to this. To be honest, I was more impressed with the new Rocketballz urethane balls and I believe they are cheaper. On the bright side, I like how they come in a bag and not a box. I tied it on my bag and carry my range finder in it.

Dont take this review as the balls being junk or anything. They just didnt work out for me.

Appreciate the thoughts, Marengo. Goes to show that everybody's a little different when it comes to golf balls. I expect to get these on the course this weekend and then I'll see what sort of numbers I'm getting with them.

Hopefully they work out well for everyone. I wish them luck in this extremely competitive market.

I played 22 holes with the 3F12 today. Course I was at has four "bonus" holes.

One round of golf is a tough way to judge a ball, but I did get some impressions. Distance off the tee seemed typical of what I'd expect. Felt nice on full swings as well. Definitely a spinny ball, which I would expect with the soft cover it has. Acted exactly the way I'd expect a premium ball to behave off a wedge. I like the alignment aid quite a bit.

I'll reiterate that I'm seeing some exceptional short game spin from this ball. Wind has made distance a tough one to guage, but we'll get numbers here soon.

Started launch monitor testing last night of the 3F12. It's one of those things that takes some time, so I usually try to get stats on just one or two clubs during each session. Last night it was the mid iron (RocketBladez 7 iron) and hybrid (Super LS). Also hit some other clubs, including driver, but I didn't do a full profile since it was a new driver and I like a little time to get familar with them.

Anyway, to the ball...

Performance looked right up to par from both clubs, and on the driver shots I looked at. Ball speeds were right where I'd want them to be. Spin and launch with iron and hybrid were higher than I saw a few weeks to a month ago, but I've done some work on my swing that I think has contributed to that quite a bit as well. It was right in the range that most would consider "normal", though for me it's a good deal higher than normal and it does reduce my carry distance with irons by virtue of an even higher ball flight than I had before.

With that said, driver spin didn't see the same percentage of increase, but there was some. I think some of that may have to do with the driver I was hitting as well. The moderate increase I saw (~300 rpm) was actually a very good thing for me. It gives me a little cushion to miss, since my high toe miss seems to drop spin dramatically. I think my average after 10 balls or so was right around 2,800 or so, which was great.

Will have it on the course this weekend again.

Thanks for the mid test update Hawk. This product is really intriguing and something different.

Edit: Whoops! Thought this was the hollow ball at first.. At any rate, good info so far :D

It is a little different. I like that they have a unique look to them.

It is a little different. I like that they have a unique look to them.

indeed. Are you going to do comparison numbers in a review or just try and keep it about the 3F12?

I'm going to do a little bit of that, but most of the focus will be on this ball alone. The only reason I'm even considering it is because they've made claims that are direct comparisons to other balls. Just to see how they stand up to my observations.

I'm going to do a little bit of that, but most of the focus will be on this ball alone. The only reason I'm even considering it is because they've made claims that are direct comparisons to other balls. Just to see how they stand up to my observations.

That makes sense. Can't wait to read it when it comes out, the Pro V1 review was my favorite in a long time.

Thanks Jesse James! I appreciate that.

Played 18 holes with 3F12 today and came away feeling pretty good about the ball.

I can't say I felt like it did anything exceptional, but it didn't do anything poorly either. Behaved very much like I'd think a ball in its class should perform. High off the driver and the lack of ballooning has me believing that it remained pretty low spinning. Distances seemed reasonable for what I'd expect, though wind and cold makes that tough to tell sometimes. One full PW swing was about a foot behind the pitchmark.

Wedge shots were a mixed bag. Greens were somehow quite firm. Hit one little 1/4 swing PW that I really expected to bite and it didn't stop quite as fast as I hoped. On the flipside, I hit a couple wedge shots that were basically dead stops. As usual, conditions and the Indian can play a big part in wedge spin.

Durability was good. No cart paths or trees today and the ball is basically spotless.

good write up hawk, how were your iron distances outside?

They seemed normal, if not a little shorter. It's hard to tell for sure with the wind and cold, but after I figured that out I was in good shape.

They seemed normal, if not a little shorter. It's hard to tell for sure with the wind and cold, but after I figured that out I was in good shape.

cool, can't wait to see what happens when the weather warms up

cool, can't wait to see what happens when the weather warms up

Should be able to tell you some time in July the way things are going now lol.

Last bit of testing on the launch monitor finished this evening, which means I can start working on the review.

Back