2009 LPGA P&G Beauty NW Arkansas Championship [spoilers]

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
Nice to start this week's event on a good note:

LPGA's Arkansas event alive for 2010
TOM ABBOTT Posted 09/09/2009, 8:46 PM EST

ROGERS, Ark. – Tournament organizers confirmed on Wednesday that the P&G Beauty NW Arkansas Championship will return in 2010. The event will be played for the fourth time at the Pinnacle Hills Country Club.

LPGA officials told Golf Channel the details of the agreement are still being finalized, but the event will return to the schedule next season.

This year's event takes place this week. Seon Hwa Lee is the defending champion.

TV times:

• Sep 11 : GC 12:30-2:30 PM ET
  • Sep 12 : GC 1:00-4:00 PM ET
  • Sep 13 : GC 1:00-4:00 PM ET
Considering that the event is in the Central time zone, kind of weirdly early broadcast times. The Fridays broadcast will end at 1:30 p.m. tournament time. Well, at least some of the marquee players have early tee times.

And at least we get 3 hours of coverage on the weekend, on GC. Let's hope they make them count.

Interesting pairings for Friday:
Start Time : 8:43 AM
Brittany Lincicome*
Michelle Wie
Natalie Gulbis

Start Time : 8:54 AM
Paula Creamer
Stacy Lewis
Cristie Kerr

Start Time : 12:10 PM
Kristy McPherson
Christina Kim
Helen Alfredsson
*Brittany Lincicome will be mic'd up during the first round.

I see Stacy Lewis having a big weekend since this is her home course!

Harry,
I have to say that we are so curious as to who picks the mic'd up player. We love BL, and she is a local, so we root for her. She has been good to THP, and we had a chance to interview her.

But to mic her seems like a longshot. She is not the most interesting person out there. If you get her going on poker or fishing, she will have a blast. But otherwise, she is known as quiet and does not have a lot to say.

I see Stacy Lewis having a big weekend since this is her home course!

She won the inaugaral event as an amateur, but it was not official because it was rain-shortened to only 18 holes. I have seen courses flooded before, but nothing like that. Water was running 3-4ft deep across some of the fairways.

I played the course a few times when I lived there, but it was private and hard to get on. They have done a major refurbishment/redesign in the last year. It needed some things done.

When Stacy was a Razorback, the home course was Paradise Golf Club, but they moved to John Tyson's (Tyson Foods) new course, The Blessings, for her last couple of years. I know they had access to Pinnacle, but it was not the University's home course. I was a member at Paradise.

Harry,
I have to say that we are so curious as to who picks the mic'd up player. We love BL, and she is a local, so we root for her. She has been good to THP, and we had a chance to interview her.

But to mic her seems like a longshot. She is not the most interesting person out there. If you get her going on poker or fishing, she will have a blast. But otherwise, she is known as quiet and does not have a lot to say.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that she is playing with Natalie Gulbis and Michelle Wie on Friday. All Solheim Cuppers and the highest profile grouping.

Maybe they are trying to spread the love; maybe Kristy McPherson talked Lincicome into it; or maybe GC was scared at what a mic in the Alfredsson/Kim/McPherson group would pick up.

Oh, that last group would be wonderful to hear!

Irene Cho (T12) was really cute in her post round interview today.

Wie (T21) started hot, but cooled off. She played ok, but didn't look real sharp. Still, it does seem like she's (slowly) building confidence.

Sandra Gal (1) comes out of the gate with a blistering round again. To date though, she hasn't been able to convert first round success into a win.

Morgan Pressel (T51) was tied for the lead for awhile, but then gave it all back with two bogies and a double bogey on the back nine.

Stacy P. (T12) near the top of the leaderboard for the first time that I can remember in a long time.

Disappointing day for Stacy Lewis (T88) who previously won this (rain-shortened, unofficial) event as an amateur. This was her home course as a Razorback, and I expected her to do much better.

Brittany Lincicome (T138) was fairly entertaining on the microphone and in interviews, but not so great on the course. Not as animated as Christina Kim or Kristy McPherson, but still nice to hear what the players talk about.

Angela Stanford needs to stop wearing t-shirts for her golf attire. Come on Stanford, you are a professional. This is not weekend at the muni. I'm telling Judy Rankin on you.

Also, WTF is up with the constant cricket-like chirping?!?! It was all the way though Friday's broadcast and now it's on today's broadcast. What the heck is that? So annoying.

Oh, and Sandra Gal is collapsing after a strong start again +4 through 11.

Watching todays coverage is like watching paint dry. We are basically seeing nothing but putting. The leaderboard is not great for casual fans and hopefully some names can come through that can capitalize on the Solheim stuff. Really bad timing that after the Solheim they had an event with virtually no coverage. They need some names to hit this leaderboard.

Kim Welch's (winner, BB:Ka'anapali) putting still sucks. Stuck it to within 4 feet on a par 3, then missed the birdie putt.

Last edited:
Paige MacKenzie has posted a little pre-round video on her facebook page:
Incompatible Browser | Facebook

SO cute with the new haircut. (Of course, she was also super cute before . . .) She's +1 through 3 holes today, and T37.

Wie is even par through 2 and, shockingly, they haven't shown her on TV yet. Jane Park (T6) is getting a ton of coverage though.

Stacy P. (T12) is hanging in there. Sandra Gal (T22; +5 through 17) continues to disintegrate.

Rain predicted later today and through tomorrow. Looks like the event might be cut to 36 holes. (No surprise, this event seems to get heavy rain every year.)

Kim Welch's (winner, BB:Ka'anapali) putting still sucks. Stuck it to within 4 feet on a par 3, then missed the birdie putt.

No kidding. I didn't see that one but on another birdie putt she was wide left by a foot and a half from 12 feet.

Sad part is she's probably going to miss the cut by one shot. It looks likely to drop to +2. Kim looked deflated on #18, understandable after playing 8 over par the previous nine holes. At one time today she was T3 at -5. On 18 she had a reasonable opportunity for a pitch and putt birdie but left the chip about 30 feet short. She probably didn't realize there was still chance to make the cut at +2, if the late wave had trouble.

Meanwhile, Maria Verchenova looked fine, yellow and otherwise. :D

Rain predicted later today and through tomorrow. Looks like the event might be cut to 36 holes. (No surprise, this event seems to get heavy rain every year.)

Oh my - if true - it's anyone's tournament to win.

They started coverage a half an hour earlier today, if you are relying on a DVR you are going to miss the first 30 minutes. They had it posted on the LPGA's website.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. Was watching Golf Central and the P7G started. Verizon's TV guide shows that I'm watching Golf Central still.

Jiyai Shin won, in what seems to have been a three-way playoff with Angela Stanford and Sun Young Yoo. Jiyai has been just fabulous; it's hard to believe she's a rookie.

Jiyai Shin shot 7 under today and got in the clubhouse first at 9 under for the tournament.

Sun Young Yoo made at least a 30 footer on 17 to save par and then birdied (had a great putt to almost make eagle) on 18 to get into the playoff with Jiyai Shin.

Angela Stanford needed an eagle on 18 to get into the playoff. She hit a 305 yard drive (into the rough), a 210 yard 7 wood to give herself about a 20 foot putt, which she made!

So we had Stanford, Yoo and Shin in a three way playoff. Watching with Angela's mom (battling breast CA) was Kristy McPherson and Brittany Lincicome.

All three birdied 18 with great chips (shin and stanford-almost holed hers! from the front of the green and Yoo out of the bunker on the left) to give themselves short birdie putts.

They then went to the par 3 15th. Yoo and Stanford had long putts for birdie and both missed. Shin then sank about a 10 footer to win the playoff.

I was really hoping Angela would win. Shin has a good chance to win the rookie of the year (locked up already) and player of the year. She would be the first since Nancy Lopez in 1978. Argument can be made that she is currently the best player in the world.

Shin Wins Playoff

Shin has a good chance to win the rookie of the year (locked up already) and player of the year. She would be the first since Nancy Lopez in 1978. Argument can be made that she is currently the best player in the world.

Shin Wins Playoff

Ever since she won the British Women's Open last year, she's been dominant.

Back