Joined the GolfWeek Amateur Tour

87, but I'm a short knocker and know I left at least 3 shots on the course just trying to kill it. I hope to calm down and do better next time.

Nothing wrong with that what was winning score in ur flight

The next tournament is considered a "major" and counts for double points.

Yeah, I'm bummed I'm going to miss my first major here, especially since it's at a really nice course. However, there's this little THP outing in Ohio which takes precedence.

Glad you had fun. Congrats on third!

Yeah, I'm bummed I'm going to miss my first major here, especially since it's at a really nice course. However, there's this little THP outing in Ohio which takes precedence.

Glad you had fun. Congrats on third![/COLOR]

I gotta get my Albatross membership and get on the list for Branson. My buddy and I both want to get up for that one!

J.

I gotta get my Albatross membership and get on the list for Branson. My buddy and I both want to get up for that one!

J.

Yeah for sure, u will have a blast

Is anyone going down to Dogwoods this coming Saturday? This is for the Memphis North MS. AmTour. You can try before you join. I encourage all to give tournament play a try, it is really fun and different than a regular weekend.

Happy Easter all!

J.

I just joined ours out here. Downeast NC tour, my first event will be Saturday.

I really enjoyed the experience. To me, it was so much different than the run of the mill scramble we have all played. Focusing on every shot was a learning experience for me. A couple of times if it was a regular round, I would have checked out mentally. It paid off and I know I left several shots out on the course. I'm hooked!

J.

I really enjoyed the experience. To me, it was so much different than the run of the mill scramble we have all played. Focusing on every shot was a learning experience for me. A couple of times if it was a regular round, I would have checked out mentally. It paid off and I know I left several shots out on the course. I'm hooked!

J.

I know the feeling, once you play in one of these events, its amazing how you cannot wait to get out and play again!! I love it!

Have my first Golfweek tourney tomorrow at Whiskey Creek! In a shocker, it is supposed to be cooler - 59' and 17-25mph winds! The course has a ton of elevation changes, and the wind should make it very interesting. ( Not to mention - difficult! ) I normally shoot in the low - mid 90's there ( playing it down, by the rules ) but with the forecasted conditions and taking into consideration it's my first golf tournament experience, I would be thrilled if I can break 100!

This has been without question the windiest winter & spring I can ever remember, and it seems like every weekend the temps drop, then go back up during the week when I can't play!

Good Luck!! and have fun

Good Luck!! and have fun

Thanks Jim... it's a great course, so even if I score badly, it will be hard to have a really bad day there!

I played in my second tournament last weekend.

I did not play well, but tied for 6th again in my flight. Surprisingly, an 89 won the flight. After having so much inconsistency in that tournament, I returned to my pro to figure out what my issue was. I think we've got it worked out now and I'm hopeful I'll be more competitive next tournament.

I'll be in Hattiesburg tomorrow playing the MS event. Hope to have fun and play well.
Finished middle of the pack in the first 2 events. Couldn't get comfortable with my swing in the first one. Hit it really well the second one but lost my short game somewhere along the way. We will see what tomorrow holds.

After reading this thread, I might have the Denver tour a try as a guest. I have never done anything like this just a couple get drunk for the police and fire fighters scrambles. I do not carry a official handicap, how would I be placed in a flight?

[h=2]What if I don't have a current handicap?[/h]The Local Director of the Tour will access your level of play based on your most recent scores, which courses you have played and the tees you used. Once you’re placed into a flight, your tournament scores and handicap index are posted on the national web page
[h=2]How is the integrity of the handicaps and flights maintained?[/h]The Tour will establish a tour handicap index based solely on your scores posted in the Golfweek tournaments. If your tour index improves during the season, you will be promoted to the next higher flight if your index falls within the parameters of higher flight. If your index falls within the parameters of a lower flight, you will only be moved to the lower flight if you request it.

After reading this thread, I might have the Denver tour a try as a guest. I have never done anything like this just a couple get drunk for the police and fire fighters scrambles. I do not carry a official handicap, how would I be placed in a flight?

Not sure about Denver, but in Nashville, they'd just talk to you about your last few rounds and put in you in a flight based on what you report. You can move up or down if they find the flight is not the right one.

Well, got the first tournament under my belt! Finished tied for 3rd in the D flight with a 94. The conditions were pretty brutal. It was about 57 degrees at tee time, and 15-25 mph winds! The only real issue I had was the time it took to play. We had the next to last tee time, 2:03, and we finished at 7:50! Of course, I had the patented Big Ball schleprock luck working as well... I piped 2 ball right down fairways, and ended up in divots - and not pro divots! These divots were deep, narrow and not filled in! The second divot basically was the size of my ball and all I could do was swing as steep and hard as I could just to dislodge it. And I had a birdie putt tracking right into the hole, and it gets about an inch away and hits something and bangs a hard right at the cup! ( this actually happened twice. The greens were still not quite recovered from aeration, and there was still a bit of bumps and sand in spots )The guys I was playing with even said they never played with anyone with that kind of luck lol.

But I had a blast, and the guys I played with were great! One thing that bugged me though was that the guy who won the "C" flight I was in shoots an 81 - in those conditions? Turns out he was a new player. I'd call him a sandbagger, but hey, that's just me. He will be re-classified next time, but he still gets this win. Oh well...

Last edited:
The only real issue I had was the time it took to play. We had the next to last tee time, 2:03, and we finished at 7:50!

Yeah, my last tournament was a 6-hour round too. It was a golf course with a lot of trouble, so it very slow. We certainly had no trouble keeping up with the group in front.

Not much I could do about it, so I just decided to relax and enjoy chatting with my partners. I know they typically try to finish in 4:30 or under, but I think it's rare it works out that way.

Yeah, my last tournament was a 6-hour round too. It was a golf course with a lot of trouble, so it very slow. We certainly had no trouble keeping up with the group in front.

Not much I could do about it, so I just decided to relax and enjoy chatting with my partners. I know they typically try to finish in 4:30 or under, but I think it's rare it works out that way.[/COLOR]

Yea, I'm a really fast player ( if JB & I ever played together on an open course, we would probably finish in an hour ha ha! ) but this didn't really bother me like it normally would. It was cart path only, so I guess I anticipated it, and the guys I played with were pretty cool, and we talked and joked around quite a bit!

Not sure about Denver, but in Nashville, they'd just talk to you about your last few rounds and put in you in a flight based on what you report. You can move up or down if they find the flight is not the right one.

On our tour if a guy playing for the first time wins "out of flight" based on the handicap given, he gets no money and is promoted to the next higher flight. I actually saw this happen at the last tournament I played in and was warned when I joined about this rule. In talking with the tournament director, he said it was the only way to keep guys as honest as possible. Seems when our tour first started up there was a problem with sand baggers. I must say that I really like these events and the system seems to be working well on my tour.

Congrats on your first tournament!

On our tour if a guy playing for the first time wins "out of flight" based on the handicap given, he gets no money and is promoted to the next higher flight. I actually saw this happen at the last tournament I played in and was warned when I joined about this rule. In talking with the tournament director, he said it was the only way to keep guys as honest as possible. Seems when our tour first started up there was a problem with sand baggers. I must say that I really like these events and the system seems to be working well on my tour.

Congrats on your first tournament!

I may have mis heard that he won, but maybe he doesn't get any money... not sure. but that would make sense to me.

BB, it all works out if your tour has a good director. Welcome to the league btw. Good luck in your season.

I really wish they had one in Houston....it's listed on their site, but when you go to it all you get is a message the the Houston Tour will return in 2014

I am loving this, so glad I joined. I won our B flight this weekend, shot 84.

Won a skin too.

Pretty good day!

Back