Callaway X Hot & X Hot Pro Irons Preview

I went and got fitted (but didn't buy yet) for XHP's today.

Holy. Cow. !!!!!.

I'm coming from Burner 2.0's. I've never been a feel snob but woweeeee do the XHP's feel sweet. I was worried they might be a little much club for me - I'm not a fast swinger, and don't compress the ball like I should - but I had no problem hitting the sweet spot most of the time, was 5-8 yards longer 6i on my better swings. When I missed toe or thin I could certainly feel it but not punishingly so. Probably lost more distance than the 2.0 on mishits, but they were really few and far between.

I've also never been fitted before. They didn't have a PX in 5.5, they had the 85 and that's what I hit, and that's what he recommended. Said I need 2* upright, which isn't a shocker at all, I'm 6' but have somewhat short arms for my height and do try and stand tall over the ball.

The guy who fitted me (Scott at DeBoers, for locals tuning in) said he has a set on order, he's in love with them too.

Full bore ponder mode. Gotta raise a few $$, about half the set price should do it. I'll advertise (not here) some clubs and a couple guitars see what happens.

I hit both two nights ago at a Callaway demo day.

X Hot: Looks a lot like last year's Razr X at address. Pretty big and bulky. Not a huge fan of the stock shaft, but I'm usually not when it comes to GI clubs. Ball didn't go as far as I was expecting. It wasn't bad, just not better than my current ones. The feel was very muted and dull, not much feedback on hits. It was very light, and I lost control of the clubhead somewhat on the downswing. It's not a bad club, but most certainly not for me.

X Hot Pro: Holy crap, these are incredible! Looks very thin a more "players" iron. Still has good forgiveness,, but it doesn't coddle you. Feel is 1,000 times better than the X Hot. It's very responsive and I know right where I hit it. I'm going about 10 yards more than the standard X Hot. The shaft is awesome and I can feel the clubhead throughout the swing very well. I know where it is, and I'm not rushing my transition. These have me in super ponder mode. I need more $$$, but after that's not a problem, I can see myself with these. Great sticks.

Go to the PGA SS instead about a couple lights east of it. I find them cheaper for regripping.

***Tappin in cuz I #SeeMore***

Yeah I've been to both PGA SS, but since I bought from Golfsmith (I find Golfsmith sales guys and managers much more amicable than PGA SS) they are doing the re gripping for free, I ended up taking them to the one in Downers Grove this morning on my way to work, there has been so much rain that the power was out and they couldn't even open on time, Lol.

After a Looooong deliberation, reading of reviews and testing of a demo on several occasions; I've just ordered a set of X Hot Pros with KBS Tour S.

I really-really love my Mizuno's but the distance gains between what I've seen with a demo club and read about with others has really put me in bitter-sweet decision. I'm keeping the Mizunos and will not part with them but it's getting really hard to argue with technology and forgiveness, regardless of feel. I'm putting my faith in the THP community that the other irons in the set will perform equally to the demo club I've hit (I'm sure it will).

The 6-iron demo in the XHP is longer than my 5-iron in the Mizuno set, by a 5-7 yard margin.

So this a.m. I gave up the pride/stubbornness/loyalty to the Mizunos and ordered 5-PW. We'll see just how it goes and what gapping issues will be created again but from sheer performance the XHP are going IN THE BAG (for the meantime...)!! I may actually wind-up comboing the two sets or something weird as well??

After a Looooong deliberation, reading of reviews and testing of a demo on several occasions; I've just ordered a set of X Hot Pros with KBS Tour S.

I really-really love my Mizuno's but the distance gains between what I've seen with a demo club and read about with others has really put me in bitter-sweet decision. I'm keeping the Mizunos and will not part with them but it's getting really hard to argue with technology and forgiveness, regardless of feel. I'm putting my faith in the THP community that the other irons in the set will perform equally to the demo club I've hit (I'm sure it will).

The 6-iron demo in the XHP is longer than my 5-iron in the Mizuno set, by a 5-7 yard margin.

So this a.m. I gave up the pride/stubbornness/loyalty to the Mizunos and ordered 5-PW. We'll see just how it goes and what gapping issues will be created again but from sheer performance the XHP are going IN THE BAG (for the meantime...)!! I may actually wind-up comboing the two sets or something weird as well??

Congrats on the new set. How did you like the KBS shafts in them?

I was just looking at the specs/lofts on these irons, they are quite a bit stronger than my X-14 pro's I am using.

So I am curious to those that have tried them have you compared the lofts of what you are currently using vs. the X-Hot lofts?

Congrats on the new set. How did you like the KBS shafts in them?

I really like what I've experienced from the demo iron. Obviously, I don't have them yet since I had to order with KBS Tour S but I'm optimistic. I have C-Taper S in my Mizuno and the Tour S are just a bit softer IMO, but no biggie. I usually tend to lean toward the softer-side in irons vs woods.

Judging by the thread there are some pretty mixed opinion but it "seems" that most everyone prefers the heavier shaft of the KBS more-so than the lighter PX 95. I personally DO NOT get along with light shafts in irons so I just don't go there...

I was just looking at the specs/lofts on these irons, they are quite a bit stronger than my X-14 pro's I am using.

So I am curious to those that have tried them have you compared the lofts of what you are currently using vs. the X-Hot lofts?

They're definitely jacked but that is the trend. I think it's easier to hit a 5 or 6-iron 200 vs having to peel a forged butter knife off the turf. Maybe not near as satisfying but effective nevertheless...

VS my MP 63, the lofts are 3* stronger 4-7 and the same 8-PW...

I was hitting the 6i head to head vs Burner 2.0 6i, which is the same loft or anyways within 1*. I think it's safe to say that the 2.0's are generally considered fairly 'hot'. I'm not a fast swinger, avg was 74 I think over many dozens of swings. On solid strikes, I was 6-8y longer with the XHP, with somewhat lower launch. I can easily see that distance being bigger for a stronger swinger/better ball striker. Reading here and elsewhere, it's not uncommon to see 10-15 yards over current set, though that may not be same loft comparisons.

They're definitely jacked but that is the trend. I think it's easier to hit a 5 or 6-iron 200 vs having to peel a forged butter knife off the turf. Maybe not near as satisfying but effective nevertheless...

VS my MP 63, the lofts are 3* stronger 4-7 and the same 8-PW...
Hey buddy,

Hope they work out for you. The exact same set I had and was bombing. Think i sent you some of my launch numbers once. Near perfect, were your words. Playing MB for so long made it a difficult transition for me. Needed to go with something I'm used to. Hopefully you cope better!!

Hey buddy,

Hope they work out for you. The exact same set I had and was bombing. Think i sent you some of my launch numbers once. Near perfect, were your words. Playing MB for so long made it a difficult transition for me. Needed to go with something I'm used to. Hopefully you cope better!!

Thanks sleuth-ster!!

So true!! I hope they give me the numbers I want in the mid & long irons, my Mizzy's are just too close together now gap wise. What I'll probably do is carry my 63s in 8, 9 & PW and XHP in 5, 6 & 7 (again probably). This should give me the precise-ness I'm accustom to in the scoring irons and the appropriate gapping in the middle irons. These are my "hopes" anyway...

One thing I did was customize the swing-weight to D4 (same as my 63s), so I don't anticipate a transition issue. I just need better spacing. I may end up using the whole set, who knows...

Congrats on your XHP order, hope they work out very well for you.

Congrats on your XHP order, hope they work out very well for you.

Thank you uman!!

I read in a few posts that you had demoed both the X Hot and XHP, did you not come away with an opinion?? I only ask because (according to your sig) you're toting the Callaway Fusion. How did they compare??

I did the comparison when I was upgrading from R11 irons to X Hot Pros, and the lofts were almost identical club to club. The standard X Hots are a bit stronger still, to the point where I would be a bit more uncomfortable with how to build a bag around those lofts.

I did the comparison when I was upgrading from R11 irons to X Hot Pros, and the lofts were almost identical club to club. The standard X Hots are a bit stronger still, to the point where I would be a bit more uncomfortable with how to build a bag around those lofts.

Do you find there's a good separation in gaps between the numbers?? The issue I'm having with my 63s are the 7 & 8 and the 5 & 6 are too close to one another. Love the way they feel and the trajectory but I could carry two less irons, honestly...

Do you find there's a good separation in gaps between the numbers?? The issue I'm having with my 63s are the 7 & 8 and the 5 & 6 are too close to one another. Love the way they feel and the trajectory but I could carry two less irons, honestly...

At least for me, I'm seeing pretty standard 10 yard gaps in carry distance or so from 5 iron down through PW. I haven't noticed any spots where the gap is a concern so far.

At least for me, I'm seeing pretty standard 10 yard gaps in carry distance or so from 5 iron down through PW. I haven't noticed any spots where the gap is a concern so far.

Awesome! Just what a recent purchaser needs to here... :D

Do you see a distinct difference in distance / forgiveness vs your previous set??

Awesome! Just what a recent purchaser needs to here... :D

Do you see a distinct difference in distance / forgiveness vs your previous set??

Distances are almost identical I would say, but I am very impressed with how the X Hot Pros react with mishits. You can certainly feel a difference when you hit the ball out off the toe, and I do see a club or so of distance loss, but man that ball goes further than the swing/contact deserve.

Distances are almost identical I would say, but I am very impressed with how the X Hot Pros react with mishits. You can certainly feel a difference when you hit the ball out off the toe, and I do see a club or so of distance loss, but man that ball goes further than the swing/contact deserve.

Sounds like you pretty happy with them, congrats!! I look forward to testing the entire set as I've almost wore the grooves off of the demo 6-iron...

One last question (forum included), how is the distance control on 1/2, 3/4 and knock downs? I've read in some REVIEWS that these irons don't bode well for finesse shots and that it "wants to be swung hard". Had any experience with this or is it up to the individual golfer??

Sounds like you pretty happy with them, congrats!! I look forward to testing the entire set as I've almost wore the grooves off of the demo 6-iron...

One last question (forum included), how is the distance control on 1/2, 3/4 and knock downs? I've read in some REVIEWS that these irons don't bode well for finesse shots and that it "wants to be swung hard". Had any experience with this or is it up to the individual golfer??

I can't say I've hit too many partial shots at this point, but the few I have seem to be no more difficult than previous sets I've had. Honestly sounds like a comment someone who hadn't tried lighter steel shafts in irons before might make (given a different weight distribution than they are used to).

I can't say I've hit too many partial shots at this point, but the few I have seem to be no more difficult than previous sets I've had. Honestly sounds like a comment someone who hadn't tried lighter steel shafts in irons before might make (given a different weight distribution than they are used to).

Good point! I suppose that's one reason I ordered KBS Tour vs the lighter PX 95s...

Do you like the ball flight you're getting with the 95s? The demo I hit outside had KBS Tour in it, so I know what to expect but I did hit a XHP with the 95s shaft at the local DSG (which felt good, btw) and it seemed to launch mid-low to mid and spun up (for me) whereas the KBS Tour launches a bit higher and flattens. Is that a fair assessment or did you try the KBS Tours??

Lofts aren't everything when it comes to irons. The Pros are about half a club weaker than the normal X Hots, and I hit the Pros 10 yards further and 2x as consistent.

Good point! I suppose that's one reason I ordered KBS Tour vs the lighter PX 95s...

Do you like the ball flight you're getting with the 95s? The demo I hit outside had KBS Tour in it, so I know what to expect but I did hit a XHP with the 95s shaft at the local DSG (which felt good, btw) and it seemed to launch mid-low to mid and spun up (for me) whereas the KBS Tour launches a bit higher and flattens. Is that a fair assessment or did you try the KBS Tours??

I got too impatient to get these and haven't tried the KBS Tours in them. I'm not much of a shaft expert, but I like the 95s so far, and think that the overall flight is a bit higher than the KBS Tour 90s I had before, but that impression may be the effect of having flighted shafts where I haven't before.

Lofts aren't everything when it comes to irons. The Pros are about half a club weaker than the normal X Hots, and I hit the Pros 10 yards further and 2x as consistent.

This statement is true for me as well. In DSG I hit both the XHP and non-pro versions and my distance was about 5 yards further club/club. Consistency was also tighter but that could've been due to shaft differences too. The non-pro launched higher that the XHP did but spun even higher than the 95s shafts. Perhaps with a different shaft this club could be a workhorse but it really is made for those who struggle with elevation...

This statement is true for me as well. In DSG I hit both the XHP and non-pro versions and my distance was about 5 yards further club/club. Consistency was also tighter but that could've been due to shaft differences too. The non-pro launched higher that the XHP did but spun even higher than the 95s shafts. Perhaps with a different shaft this club could be a workhorse but it really is made for those who struggle with elevation...

Yeah, I think that the consistency is due to a heavier swingweight. I could really feel that clubhead in the swing with the XHP, and I have zero idea where the clubhead is with the normal X Hots. Same is true with my current irons. I can't wait to get the XHP's.

Back