Callaway X Hot & X Hot Pro Irons Preview

Haha just saw all Ole Gray's posts in my name. It's me talking with OG's voice like that commercial.

Hate that he's selling his irons because he sure was hitting them well.

I thought maybe it would go away however this has been going on for a couple weeks and I have to wear a wrist brace while playing :at-wits-end:. These X Hot irons are really sweet but maybe they're just a bit too much iron/heavy for me :beat-up::confused2:. I didn't have any wrist issues with the last irons I played so maybe the shafts were lighter or something. Maybe it's that I'm just not good enough to handle these players irons and I'm trying to force the swing more, thus applying too much pressure to the left wrist. All I know, is I have to find some sissy graphite clubs, that are easier on the joints.

I was opened minded on the X Hot Irons but the Ping G25's with the lighter head was easier to swing and more enjoyable. Though I purchased the X Hot driver, I am leaning right now towards the Pings.

From my last range session, I know I will have to reconfigure my wedges due to the increased distance. I went to Callaway's site to check out the loft of the PW and noticed that the club length for 9i, PW, AW are only .25 inches different as opposed to the "standard" .5in. Plus the 8i loft is pretty wack, 35.5 degrees. It has a difference of 4.5 degrees between the 7i and PW. The rest of the set is 4 degrees.

Since I can't just go by loft to reconfigure, I think I will have pull out a range finder and not distances at the range. Are others noticing this issue or am I just overthinking how to reconfigure the bottom of my bag?

731°62°RH / LH37D2
835.5°62.5°RH / LH36.5D2
940°63°RH / LH36D2
PW45°63.5°RH / LH35.75D2
AW50°63.5°10°RH Only35.5D2

From my last range session, I know I will have to reconfigure my wedges due to the increased distance. I went to Callaway's site to check out the loft of the PW and noticed that the club length for 9i, PW, AW are only .25 inches different as opposed to the "standard" .5in. Plus the 8i loft is pretty wack, 35.5 degrees. It has a difference of 4.5 degrees between the 7i and PW. The rest of the set is 4 degrees.

Since I can't just go by loft to reconfigure, I think I will have pull out a range finder and not distances at the range. Are others noticing this issue or am I just overthinking how to reconfigure the bottom of my bag?

31°
62°

RH / LH
D2
35.5°
62.5°

RH / LH
D2
40°
63°

RH / LH
D2
PW
45°
63.5°

RH / LH
D2
AW
50°
63.5°
10°
RH Only
D2

My OCD kicked in overdrive when I was looking at these irons. I made every spreadsheet you could imagine trying to figure out what this would do to my distances and club gaps. Let me try to save you some time...so far I am seeing about 1/2 club difference from my old irons but the weather has been 50-60 degrees at best so far. I expect about 1 club difference in the summer. My old 7 iron went 150-155 and I stroked an 8 iron 149 on Saturday.

I am still trying to figure out the bottom of my bag but my Vokey GW is 50 degrees and i typically hit it about 110 max. I started to stress about how I would fill the gap between it and my PW which I expect to hit about 135 when it warms up. After I calmed down, I realized that my 56 degree SW only goes about 85 yards and I havent had an issue filling that gap with knock down GW shots. I just had to come to terms that I could do the same with the gap between my new PW and my old GW. Hopefully you can find something that works for you but I have found that the gap is not as hard to manage as I thought it would be.

31°
62°

RH / LH
D2
35.5°
62.5°

RH / LH
D2
40°
63°

RH / LH
D2
PW
45°
63.5°

RH / LH
D2
AW
50°
63.5°
10°
RH Only
D2

Grrr...I just realized the gap wedge is RH only!

I hit the XHP irons really solid today playing with KellyBo and our son's Father-in-Law. Solid iron shots all day with a nice soft draw. My replacement set (Razx XF graphite) will not arrive until Friday. They are being shipped from Carlsbad, Ca. It was kind of like the XHPs were were saying hey dude, don't leave me :crying:. I wore my wrist brace today and only had mild discomfort following the round.

I hit the XHP irons really solid today playing with KellyBo and our son's Father-in-Law. Solid iron shots all day with a nice soft draw. My replacement set (Razx XF graphite) will not arrive until Friday. They are being shipped from Carlsbad, Ca. It was kind of like the XHPs were were saying hey dude, don't leave me :crying:. I wore my wrist brace today and only had mild discomfort following the round.

Man OG, I think I might look into getting these re-shafted

got a chance to hit these again today on the range with regular flex shafts but still got to hit them really was liking the ball flight on the longer irons the PW and higher lofted irons were a little high for me. i might have to do some serious shaft testing if i go with these so i don't balloon any balls.

got a chance to hit these again today on the range with regular flex shafts but still got to hit them really was liking the ball flight on the longer irons the PW and higher lofted irons were a little high for me. i might have to do some serious shaft testing if i go with these so i don't balloon any balls.

Do you think the regular flex shaft was causing the higher than normal ball flight in the more lofted clubs.

Man OG, I think I might look into getting these re-shafted

They really would be sweet with some nice graphite shafts! In retrospect, I wish that I would have ordered them in graphite, in the first place. Big dummy :banghead::angry:

Do you think the regular flex shaft was causing the higher than normal ball flight in the more lofted clubs.

prob i was having issues with the KBS 90 Grams that came stock with my R11s after i started swinging them full speed. so thats what i'm assuming. i'll be getting fit no matter what iron i end up with.

I have the option to keep these irons now. My buyer found out the lie could not be adjusted enough, to fit his requirement. Going from +2 to a flat lie, is not recommended with non forged type clubs. Over 2 degrees is pushing the limit. Anyways I may keep them and hope the local thrift shop has some graphite shafts :D. I hit them so well today with my wrist brace on. I felt no pain during play but tonight, I'm hunting the Aleve & Ben Gay :beat-up:

First true warm weather round with my new XHots. 80* today so I was able to get a much better idea of my distance gains. These are in between a club to club and a half longer than my Razr X set. Loving the new distance gains and now that I'm getting them dialed in the GIR are starting to add up. My best ball striking round with them yet. Nice mid-high ball flight that just carries. There were 4-5 shots where I thought I had come up short hitting the one less only to see the ball just keep carrying where I was used to seeing it fall with the old set. Add to that the dispersion and these are the best combo of iron and shaft I've gamed, ever.

Not that I was doubting, but I've certainly made up my mind on these. If long, accurate and forgiving, and super easy to hit are on your iron punch list, you're doing yourself a disservice not to give the XH a go.

I have the option to keep these irons now. My buyer found out the lie could not be adjusted enough, to fit his requirement. Going from +2 to a flat lie, is not recommended with non forged type clubs. Over 2 degrees is pushing the limit. Anyways I may keep them and hope the local thrift shop has some graphite shafts :D. I hit them so well today with my wrist brace on. I felt no pain during play but tonight, I'm hunting the Aleve & Ben Gay :beat-up:

Bill - You may want to contact Callaway and give them your story and see if they can help you get the shafts changed out at a favorable cost.

I'm sad to say however I will have to let mine go, due to some wrist issues. Apparently the 5.5 is a tad stronger than regular flex and I have been hurting lately. I'm finally going with graphite shafts. The set I'm selling is located in the market place here on THP. They truly are awesome irons and someone is going to catch a pretty sweet deal. Any questions send me a PM.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...ay-x-hot-pro-irons-5-aw&p=2119697#post2119697

Just get 'em reshafted Bill, or try Sensicore inserts.

Bill - You may want to contact Callaway and give them your story and see if they can help you get the shafts changed out at a favorable cost.

Great idea Donne. The sad thing is I don't know enough about graphite iron shafts to ask what would fit me. I prefer a high ball flight. Our course requires you to drop the ball out of the sky, to access some locations on the greens.

Great idea Donne. The sad thing is I don't know enough about graphite iron shafts to ask what would fit me. I prefer a high ball flight. Our course requires you to drop the ball out of the sky, to access some locations on the greens.

Go back to PGA SS and see if they have the Callaway M75i Tour Graphite in the fitting cart for you to try. The Callaway website shows them with a low torque and mid kickpoint just like the Project X 95s, and at least when you originally ordered them, they would have been a $15 per club upcharge.

Go back to PGA SS and see if they have the Callaway M75i Tour Graphite in the fitting cart for you to try. The Callaway website shows them with a low torque and mid kickpoint just like the Project X 95s, and at least when you originally ordered them, they would have been a $15 per club upcharge.

Thanks for the info Donne.

Those come with the Rifle shafts? Geez, I hate those things.

731°62°RH / LH37D2
835.5°62.5°RH / LH36.5D2
940°63°RH / LH36D2
PW45°63.5°RH / LH35.75D2
AW50°63.5°10°RH Only35.5D2

I have the 3-pw. Before these I had the Razr X Tour's. I'm noticing about the same distance from those, except the gap from 9 to pw. All my other gaps are about 10-15. The gap between 9 and PW is more like 25. It's a real problem for me, and I'm considering having the PW bent up a degree or so, since I have a 50 ATV in my bag.

Dan

I have the 3-pw. Before these I had the Razr X Tour's. I'm noticing about the same distance from those, except the gap from 9 to pw. All my other gaps are about 10-15. The gap between 9 and PW is more like 25. It's a real problem for me, and I'm considering having the PW bent up a degree or so, since I have a 50 ATV in my bag.

Dan

Is the loft gap larger between the pw and 9 than between the other clubs? It also could be a mental/swing issue(maybe changing your swing/laying off it)

Dan

Dan - I came to these from the R11s which had the same lofts with the 9i and PW, and I am seeing about the same distances with each set's clubs about (9i going 115-120 and PW going 105-110). Only thing I can think of is that maybe you want to get the lofts checked on the 9i and PW to make sure that they are what they are supposed to be.

If you are seeing too big of a gap between the 9i and PW, are you seeing a reduced gap between either the 8i and 9i or the PW and 50 deg?

Hey guys. Long time reader, first time poster. This thread really helped me make my decision on my irons and I still check it every day even though I already have my irons.

Even though there is a "Market Place" section, I thought I would give the heads up in here first as this is the place where are the XHP fans are. I bought a set of XHP 3-pw w/ KBS c-taper stiff shafts hard-stepped as Callaway does not have S+ available. Anyways after some thought. I decided to head back down to my fitting center and try out the X-stiff. I was bouncing back and forth between the S+ and XS during the fitting. After some more testing I decided on the XS. My first set had already been shipped so I ordered another set with XS shafts in them. So now I have two sets of XHP. I am bagging the XS and I have a set of XHP 3-pw w/ KBS c-taper stiff hard-stepped shafts sitting in the box, and have never been taken out of the plastic. I thought I would give you guys first dibs. If you're interested, feel free to pm me. I will give you a better price than what you would pay for these with the $30 per shaft upgrade charge on these irons. I'm not looking to get all that I spent back as it was my own fault (I call it the idiot tax), but I'm also not looking to lose a huge amount either. I supsect that you might have questions about my credibility as this is my first post. That is easy to work around as I can provide my ebay username and other forum usernames as well. I would be willing to provide any other info you would like as well. No worries if nobody is interested, thought I might see if someone wanted to get a brand new set for a little less than they would pay retail.

Have a good one guys. Thanks for all the good and helpful posts. Now that I am registered to this forum, I will make sure to contribute from time to time.

Welcome to THP! I am glad we were able to help you in coming to a decision. I am pretty sure you will not have any difficulty getting these sold.

Thought I'd mention that a week ago I mentioned how I really wanted to hit the X-Hot Pro's with the KBS Tour shaft in them but couldn't find any Demo Days on Callaway's website. The search engine would always turn up no results. I don't know if it was coincidence or if the ZooCrew took care of it but a few days later Callaway's Demo Day search works and found a couple places in the coming weeks that are convenient for me. Looking forward to heading out to one and give the XHP/KBS Tour combo a try.

Back