Knowing Your Limitations

Ok I will admit I have found myself trying to keep up with the kids. About a month ago I was in a three man scramble and the group we were paired with was a bunch of college age kids and they could bomb it! Well by the third hole I found myself trying to keep up with the "Joneses". Needless to say my game went south in a hurry. By buddy Shane (more about him in a bit) finally told me to stop trying to keep up with them and just play my swing and put it in the fairway, and to let him keep up with the kids. I took his advice and by the start of the back nine I had found my tempo again and played much better.
Now the interesting thing is I have never found myself trying to keep up with Shane. He is a scratch golfer and truly a long hitter. I have seen him put it on the green on a par four 280 yard hole with a three wood. I have also seen him drive over the green on a 350 yard par four. Yes he is scratch. He can hit it looonnngggg but still control the ball and put it where he wants it. He is just as good with his irons and his short game. Now why I try to keep up with the kids and not Shane I still haven't figured out, but I took the lesson to heart and just play my game and let them bomb it.

Royalwulff - Perhaps it had something to do with becoming a grandfather this year and seeking your lost youth?

LOL umm nope I LOVE being a grandpa!! beside why try to keep up with the kids and not the really long good player?

Is he your age?

Getting back to the thread...

I've always believed that there is a distinct difference between playing WITHIN one's l;imitations and playing TO one's limitations and the two are very different.

Playing within one's limitations is all about knowing what you're capable of doing and weighing that against a specific set of circumstances and deciding on a plan of action. But playing TO one's limitations can often mean that a person has pigeonholed themselves to being only a certain type of player or only capable of reaching a certain level of success and that's where a lot of people tend get handcuffed.

Playing TO one's limitations can lead to someone believing that they will never be able to rise above whatever level of play they've achieved and unless there's some physical reason for why that's so, they're short-selling themselves.

I'm not advocating that people who can only propel a ball 200 yards on the fly with a driver attempt to clear water hazards requiring 250 yard tee shots, but rather I'm saying that just because you can't get to 250 now, doesn't necessarily mean that you never will and to resign yourself to "Knowing Your Limitations" doesn't have to mean that a 250 yard carry will always require two shots.

I've seen too many people over the years stand on a tee and explain why they'll never be able to do this or that and a scant few who actually rise to a challenge and take a shot at something beyond their comfort zone.

Knowing your limitations doesn't have to mean knowing your place.

-JP

You mean you don't all hit 300 yard drives???

I do..... but I don't like to brag about it. :D

and if you believe that, I have some Arizona swamp land that is a real bargain.

Been playing over my limitations lately.

Back