TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Fairway Review Thread

So finally got out to the range with this 3W (thanks again Greg!). It's a crappy mat range with beat up balls, but it's close to work and I've been really busy lately, so beggars can't be choosers. Took a wedge to warm up and my driver as I had some kinks to work out with it. Warmed up a bit and grabbed the Stage 2. Had a couple of 'getting to know you' swings that resulted in some inconsistent contact. Choked up just a touch and started really striping some good shots. Was seeing a nice, what I'd call mid-high flight that seemed to just go. Other than a couple of pushes, I was seeing a nice little draw. I can see how some are talking about not needing driver as my average shots were about 20 yards short of my average driver shots. The good ones were pretty close to where my average driver swings were landing. All of this was off the mats too, and I can only imagine that it will be even better off the tee. Goodness I hope so. :D

So club comparisons. I'll start with the X-Hot as that's the freshest in my mind. Distance wise, I'd say that these two are right in line as far as range time goes. Felt my good shots with the RBZS2 seemed to be flying just a little bit further, but that could just be the day. I will say that I definitely feel more in control of the Stage 2. My misses were more manageable and honestly I felt more 'at home' with this club than the X-Hot. Again, could just be the day or something mental (wouldn't be the first time!). On course performance rules all for me, so we'll see this weekend if this club earns a spot in the bag.

Or it could be more familiar because I gamed the original RBZ for a bit last year. I'm running off memory but this club feels pretty similar to me. Similar sound on solidly struck shots, and the weight or something reminds me very much of the original. Not going to make any distance comparisons as they are both long. I think that the Stage 2 is easier to hit off the deck though. It took me about a half a bucket to get the original consistently in the air. So far in my experience with it, I feel like this is a great progression for the line.

As far as the graphics go, I'm still not a huge fan. Didn't really pay much attention to the graphics for alignement, but I could see where that would help some. I will try to take note of that in the future. End of the day, if this thing performs, I don't care what color paint is on it.

Like I said before, on course performance is king, so I won't make a decision until I get it out for a round. The first range session was promising though!

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Awesome write up, Jon. Did you end up going with the X Hot or X Hot Pro? Do you think Stage 2 is more forgiving?

Awesome write up, Jon. Did you end up going with the X Hot or X Hot Pro? Do you think Stage 2 is more forgiving?

X Hot. I'm not sure if it's more forgiving, but perhaps it just fits my swing better?

X Hot. I'm not sure if it's more forgiving, but perhaps it just fits my swing better?

That could be it. I haven't hit the x hot yet but I am hoping to try it at some point. I felt right at home with the Stage 2 from the get-go. Easier for me to hit than the original.

I tried the X hot pro and the Stage 2 was more forgiving. To me anyways. I also notice that i had a much higher ball flight from the fairway as well ( which i needed ). Very easy to shape and a nice go to club off the tee when the driver decides to its own thing for the day. I'm definitley happy with my Stage 2 purchase

That could be it. I haven't hit the x hot yet but I am hoping to try it at some point. I felt right at home with the Stage 2 from the get-go. Easier for me to hit than the original.

I struggled with it in the sim. Due to the fact that it's hard to demo clubs around here on the course, I took a chance. Yesterday I got to comfy with it pretty quick on the range. Never would have known if I'd gone by my sim experience. I killed the X-Hot in the sim too.

Stage 2 is set to arrive tomorrow. Hope to get a range session on Sunday if not I will get to hit in back yard.

Stage 2 is set to arrive tomorrow. Hope to get a range session on Sunday if not I will get to hit in back yard.

Glad to hear this. Hope that you get great results from it.

Hit this again but off crappy mats. Once I finally get used to my new swing, I will be crushing it. I had some really bad ones, and I crushed some. I'm really enjoying this process, and I'm into deep ponder over yanking the driver.

Last edited:
I struggled with it in the sim. Due to the fact that it's hard to demo clubs around here on the course, I took a chance. Yesterday I got to comfy with it pretty quick on the range. Never would have known if I'd gone by my sim experience. I killed the X-Hot in the sim too.

Hitting on the sim is fun but there is something to be said for hitting it on the range/course. Glad you are liking the Stage 2 so far. Keep us posted.

Was able to hit the Stage 2 a few times during my round today. A few times off the deck and with pretty good results. Hit 3 off the tee, which has been hit-and-miss for me. Was 3/3 with the Stage 2. As long as I remind myself to slow down my tempo, I love what I see out of it. High and long. I hit a few bombs today. Still amazes me sometimes.

Quick drop in on my way home from the course. Hit this a few times on the course. All decent. Only one that wasn't well struck. This thing is a bomber off the tee!

XHot 3W will be in the market place once I get back in town... :D

Quick drop in on my way home from the course. Hit this a few times on the course. All decent. Only one that wasn't well struck. This thing is a bomber off the tee!

XHot 3W will be in the market place once I get back in town... :D

Wow. Didn't take you long to decide. I would have anguished over the decision. And yes it is a beast off the tee

Wow. Didn't take you long to decide. I would have anguished over the decision. And yes it is a beast off the tee

No anguish here. Actually need to be a little careful as its longer than I thought it would be. Hit through two fairways. Once off the tee and once off the deck on a long par 5 with a left turn at the very end. Nothing wayward though which is huge for me.

Got out in perfect weather today, and I'm liking it off the deck. I was absolutely crushing it today. I've noticed that it was very playable off the deck today now that the ground isn't still soaked. Ball was just soaring. This is really paying dividends to my long game.

Got out in perfect weather today, and I'm liking it off the deck. I was absolutely crushing it today. I've noticed that it was very playable off the deck today now that the ground isn't still soaked. Ball was just soaring. This is really paying dividends to my long game.
I am glad to see that the Stage 2 is working out so well for you. And, Yes, this thing is long off the deck as well as the tee. I ran into the same issue, right after I started testing with it. Ran through 2 doglegs. But I can't complain about that, just need to adjust which club to use now.

No anguish here. Actually need to be a little careful as its longer than I thought it would be. Hit through two fairways. Once off the tee and once off the deck on a long par 5 with a left turn at the very end. Nothing wayward though which is huge for me.
Glad to see that it worked out so well for you to JonD. I know that this is my new 3w. Glad to see you making ii yours too.

Got out today for 18. I didnt have many chances to hit this club today but when I did it performed pretty well for me.

The first attempt, I will call it that because it was a dreadful try at making a golf shot dug nice big trench with it. Haha it happens and I moved on quickly.

Next try I was over 290 out on a par 5 in the first cut of rough and really got a hold of one, I am only ball parking but it went about 210 or so which for me is pretty good made par on the hole.

Last, ehh not so good I was about 300 out on a par 5, it didn't look pretty just a low worm burner but the result was very nice left me about 130 to the pin and again the trend continues made par on the hole. Even though the shot was not great, it was in the fairway and didn't result in a penalty stroke. In the past the 3 wood has caused me quite a bit of trouble so I am making some progress.

Overall I really like the club, I have inconsistencies with my swing but the Stage 2 is going to be in the bag for the near future. I just need some more work and practice with it.

Hit this once today. Perfect ball flight on a tight par 4 had about 70 yards in. Probably hit is about 265 or so. Super Solid feel. Might start hitting off the tee more with it because of the confidence it gives me. Really like the stock shaft too. Wasn't sold on it before. I am now

Didn't get to the range due to the monsoon we had here in Houston. Hit a few off the mat into a net on Fri and it felt long. Put it onto a tee and probably estimate w 70% swing maybe 210 or so. Cant wait to go to the range. Playing a round on Sunday so should be fun.

Hit this once today. Perfect ball flight on a tight par 4 had about 70 yards in. Probably hit is about 265 or so. Super Solid feel. Might start hitting off the tee more with it because of the confidence it gives me. Really like the stock shaft too. Wasn't sold on it before. I am now

265 is huge. With that length, it is a great option off the tee. Glad you are liking it.

Didn't get to the range due to the monsoon we had here in Houston. Hit a few off the mat into a net on Fri and it felt long. Put it onto a tee and probably estimate w 70% swing maybe 210 or so. Cant wait to go to the range. Playing a round on Sunday so should be fun.

Sounds like a good start. Keep us updated.

I played 36 this weekend but only hit the Stage 2 once. Hit it on 18 and after swinging my driver with a heavy shaft in it, it felt super light and I hit it poorly. Definitely not my best swing, but I would like to hit the Tour version with a heavier shaft in it to see how it compares.

I got to hit this off the tee once and off the rough 3x. I hit it off the tee with a mammoth shot even though it was toed. I then proceeded to hit it poorly out of the rough all three times even though I salvaged par one of those times. I still need to get used to this one as I haven't seemed to be 100% comfortable with it. I think I need another month or so before I can be comfortable with it. I'm still loving it.

I got out on the course with my RBZ stage 2 tour fairway today. And I love this thing! For starters, I don't think I've ever hit a fairway food this easily off the deck. I teed it up on one hole and it flew a lot higher than from the fairway. I meant to try it straight off the deck off a teebox but forgot to.

I had a par 5 today and striped my driver down the middle and had about 250 left when I came up to my ball. I took the stage 2 out and just took a nice controlled swing not thinking it would reach the green. Well it bounced in the left fringe and into the rough ngot up and down for par but I was just amazed at how long this thing hits the ball. I hit a few more shots with it and only had one bad miss to the right but that was user error.

I should say I had the club cut down 1/2" so I am connecting a lot more with the center of the face. But after today it's going to take a lot for me to pull this club out of my bag.

Only hit the RBZS2 twice today, both times off the deck. Had a really fun time with it on my second shot on a Par 5, got an "air" high five from the group on the green in front of us as it cuddled up next to them. The club is still impressive and can get you out of a mess, as it did on the first shot out of the rough. In a rut and still into the fairway 200 yards away. If only all the other tools would play as nice.

Well I'm sorry to say I'll be selling my 3 wood.
I've given it a go and it's just not for me, I can hit my R1 better off the deck than I can hit this off the tee.
I don't know what it is but it just seems to hook all the time which I can't have from a supposed safety club.

My friend has a Callaway Hawkeye 3+ in the garage which he'll hopefully sell to me and then all my problems will be solved!

Well I'm sorry to say I'll be selling my 3 wood.
I've given it a go and it's just not for me, I can hit my R1 better off the deck than I can hit this off the tee.
I don't know what it is but it just seems to hook all the time which I can't have from a supposed safety club.

My friend has a Callaway Hawkeye 3+ in the garage which he'll hopefully sell to me and then all my problems will be solved!

Sorry to hear it. I was doing the same thing a ton about a month ago. Got a lesson and problem solved.

265 is huge. With that length, it is a great option off the tee. Glad you are liking it.

Sounds like a good start. Keep us updated.

I played 36 this weekend but only hit the Stage 2 once. Hit it on 18 and after swinging my driver with a heavy shaft in it, it felt super light and I hit it poorly. Definitely not my best swing, but I would like to hit the Tour version with a heavier shaft in it to see how it compares.

This thing is bananas man. Really great club for me.

Back