THP Golf Leagues & Weekly Events Thread

What do the leagues give out as prizes? I just got an email from Windermere CC and they have a league, I may join.

Ours is a cash prize. Edwin Watts usually donates drivers or fairways for the end party as well. It's a laid back league, everyone is out there for a good time. Except me, I'm competitive, I'm there to win this year.

THis year I am playing in a "senior league" every Tuesday morning. Rotates among 3 area courses. Format varies from week to week (i.e. 2 Low Net, 3 low net). Final tuesday of each month is a flighted event. $5 goes in the kitty each week. $4 gets paid out and $1 is held for the banquet. Play is for 30 weeks form April until the end of october. Pretty popular - has average about 92 golfers so far each week. League is limited to 120 golfers and there is a waiting list to get in. It has been a lot of fun so far.

So is this why I don't hear from you anymore?

you have to learn to answer your emails!!

So let me ask a really dumb question. Why can't we have our own THP league? I meam besides the obvious distance thing. Could we not turn in scores for rounds and such. I suppose there could be cheating but dang folks I think this could be a ton of fun. I know there could be some rules adjustments that could make this work. I for one would jump on this.

As long as your course can provide a handicap for you (mine does not, but the older people still have the mathematical formula to handicap us for league), I don't see why it would matter what the distance of a course is. You either shot better or lower than your handicap for the course.

Our men's league starts May 8. Weather has been awful in Iowa this spring, so there will be a lot of rusty golfers.

~Rock

Great idea for a thread.

This year I signed up for http://www.ovgatour.com/ DDXU pointed me in this direction and so far I like it. They play weekly, sometimes on Saturday's and sometimes on Sundays. Its flighted and the events are WAY cheaper than the Golfchannel tour even though it takes place at the same courses. Everyone I have met so far there has been nice and I look forward to getting out a few times a month and competing.

my league started tonight and our opponents were unable to show up and/or get subs.
fortunately tho, that's an automatic 7 points. i'll take that.

tournament tomorrow, sweet lord I better hit the ball better than I did yesterday or its going to be a long day.

I'm in a 9 hole league with folks from my company and a few other aerospace and advanced materials companies in the area. Just played our first match Tuesday...loss. Only one guy managed to play to his handicap on a tough day with lots of wind (hint - it wasn't me :banghead:). I think there was some major sandbagging going on with the other team - they had two guys shoot low 30's net on, as I mentioned, a really tough wind day. But, no excuses - next match is Monday, gotta go out and get it to pick up a win!

Bi-annual tourney is tomorrow for my weekly golf game. In our weekly games we play points: bogey 1, par 2, birdie 4, eagle 8. Each person has a quota of points to pull based on average of last 5 rounds (in tourney it is last 10 rounds). Weekly buy in, plus greenies and 1 for the big tourney pot. Weekly games we play 18, in tourney we play 27.

Conditions will be challenging tomorrow. Around an inch of rain today, with a chance of more tomorrow. Will be playing preferred lies.

Ended up 10th out of 20 in my flight, nothing to be content with as I'm nowhere near my best golf

Ended up 10th out of 20 in my flight, nothing to be content with as I'm nowhere near my best golf

Sounds like my last tourney Mike - nowhere near my potential. Here's hoping my next will be better, and yours too.

Had 12 players yesterday in our semi-annual tourney for our weekly game. I played better than I have in the last few months. Shot an 84 for 25 points on the first 18. That put me in third with +4 on quota with nine holes to play. Leader was at +8, 2nd at +7.

Went out for the final nine and I continued my good play. Shot a 41 with 13 points.

I ended up 2nd overall with +7 over quota, winner finished at +12. Felt really happy for the winner. He loves golf but struggles with his game. Very likable guy that has potential to play like this but can rarely put it together. He shot a 91 tying a PB on the first 18. So close to breaking 90 for the first time.

Weather held for us and the course drained better than we thought, aided by a few hours of sunshine that was unexpected.

I picked up one of six greenies and with 2nd place, went home with $164 in total winnings. We'll start building the pot for our fall tourney this coming weekend.

Next event for me is first golf league match of the year. Round scheduled for Sunday.

Had 12 players yesterday in our semi-annual tourney for our weekly game. I played better than I have in the last few months. Shot an 84 for 25 points on the first 18. That put me in third with +4 on quota with nine holes to play. Leader was at +8, 2nd at +7.

Went out for the final nine and I continued my good play. Shot a 41 with 13 points.

I ended up 2nd overall with +7 over quota, winner finished at +12. Felt really happy for the winner. He loves golf but struggles with his game. Very likable guy that has potential to play like this but can rarely put it together. He shot a 91 tying a PB on the first 18. So close to breaking 90 for the first time.

Weather held for us and the course drained better than we thought, aided by a few hours of sunshine that was unexpected.

I picked up one of six greenies and with 2nd place, went home with $164 in total winnings. We'll start building the pot for our fall tourney this coming weekend.

Next event for me is first golf league match of the year. Round scheduled for Sunday.

Way to go. Congrats on making up so much ground. Gotta feel good about that one!

J.

I start my first after work league tonight. It seems to be laid back, but they do have weekly prizes and an end of the year tournament.
The thing I like about this is you can show up between 4:00pm to 5:30pm and you just tee of when you want, with whoever you want.

Here is the course tour:
http://www.chevychasecountryclub.com/aboutus/coursetour/

Shot 41 for the first night of league play. They made us play the middle tees so I had a lot of half wedges into greens. Need to work on that area. Also putted like a jackass with 20 putts

My work league starts tonight, I'm curious to see how it goes 9 hole two man team match play, each hole is worth 3 points A vs A, B vs B and total team score. Laid back with weekly prizes, handicaps are updated every week. Playing the ball down and straight up rules which will be new for some of the guys. It will be fun and probably a little slow.

Well, my league apparently started last week. Seemed a little strange, since last Wednesday was so cold. So when I went out for league last night, I had no handicap, meaning my score would simply be stroke for stroke.

I guess that worked out ok, because I shot a 30 (-1), which is as good as it gets for scores in our league. Three birdies, 2 bogeys, 4 pars. It beat my previous best of 33, which I had shot 3 separate times in the past. I was striking my irons fantastic, 3 wood as well. Driver is still an issue for me. But I only use it on 3 holes, and my misses kept me in play.

Mostly, I attribute that score to fantastic putting. 10 regulation putts (11 if you count one of my putts from the fringe). Two of the birdies were long putts, probably 30 feet and 20 feet. The other birdie was because I was on the green on a driveable par 4 and 2 putted for birdie.

Afterwards, I felt great about my round, obviously. But on the 9th hole, I actually hit a tree with my drive, so the drive only went about 50 yards. Hit a beautiful 3 iron, even faded around the dog leg a bit. Left myself on the upslope, 50 yards away from the green. I knew exactly what my score was and I also knew that a par would get me a 29 (par is 31, please remember that). Anyways, hit what I thought was a perfect pitch shot, but hit the ground and stopped dead about 1 foot short of the green. Hit my chip, and lipped it. SOOOOOOOOO close. Anyways, tapped in for bogey, and just reflected on what I had just accomplished.

Then I realized that while my score would earn points for my league team yesterday, it would also give me a handicap of zero for the next two weeks.

~Rock

Had first golf league match of the year this morning. Met my opponent for the first time out on the range. Really nice guy and his swing looked good on the range. My course handicap was better and he ended up getting 4 strokes. His swing abandoned him quickly unfortunately out on the course, and I played lights out, tying a PB for the course we were playing. I shot a 79 and he shot a 102. I won 11 holes, he won 3 and we tied 4 holes. Our games were much closer than the score today showed, just wasn't his day.

A good win for me though with a lot of points. Puts me in a good position league wise right out of the gate.

Had first golf league match of the year this morning. Met my opponent for the first time out on the range. Really nice guy and his swing looked good on the range. My course handicap was better and he ended up getting 4 strokes. His swing abandoned him quickly unfortunately out on the course, and I played lights out, tying a PB for the course we were playing. I shot a 79 and he shot a 102. I won 11 holes, he won 3 and we tied 4 holes. Our games were much closer than the score today showed, just wasn't his day.

A good win for me though with a lot of points. Puts me in a good position league wise right out of the gate.

Congrats on tying the PB! Good start!

I finished 5th out of 11 yesterday in my flight with some ugly golf. Started off +1 through 3 and hen the wheels fell off. Going to try one more lesson to salvage my iron swing.

I finished 5th out of 11 yesterday in my flight with some ugly golf. Started off +1 through 3 and hen the wheels fell off. Going to try one more lesson to salvage my iron swing.

Not falling behind but not showing off! :act-up:

Not falling behind but not showing off! :act-up:

Started good and finished good, some miscellaneous stuff in the middle hurt me

Back