Oregon Golfer

#XBomb
Reaction score
Handicap
The last few times I have played I have struggled with lots of FAT iron shots from the fairway. This normally isn't a problem. This winter I have been spending a lot more time than usual, (2-3x/week), going to the driving range to work on my swing. This driving range, (like all here in the winter), are mats only. My fear is that by practicing so much on mats I have developed a "FAT-Shot" biased swing because the mats hide a fat shot. Do you have any advice to get back on track to hitting my fairway irons pure? Is it better to practice off mats, not pratice, or should I change something about how I practice? TIA!

I hate hitting off mats for that very reason. My bad shot is typically fat, and mats totally hide it. My friends think I'm some kind of driving range snob, but really I just can't stand hitting tons of great shots off mats, and then digging up the turf when I finally get the chance.

Anyway, fat shots are often caused by a failure to shift your weight properly prior to ball contact. I know that is almost always what causes me to hit fat. Work on your weight shift some.....and you could always consider putting something thin, like a strike board, a couple inches behind your ball when you hit off a mat. If you hit the strike board in your swing, you know you have messed up.

This is the ask the pro section, lets keep it clear until GolfTEC has a chance to respond. Thanks everybody.

I am going through an issue of "the fats" right now as well. Would love to see the pro weigh in on this!!!

Been almost 2 weeks since the op was submitted.....

Anyone out there?

Sorry about the delay in getting to this question. The first thing I would look at changing is making sure you get nearly all your weight on your left leg (assuming a righty golfer) in the finish position. This is imperative to not hit behind the ball. Another consideration is what your body and hands are doing through impact. If you have any video and can post it I can be more specific but likely the hands are flipping at impact. This means the club will bottom out too soon if not timed up properly. To help with this take a business card and put it in front of the golf ball. Try to move the business card and this drill works great on mats during the winter. Another great way to work on this is to practice your pitching because it is the same concept at impact.

Keep working hard at it and always make sure to have good feedback during a practice session.

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

mats dont hide it, i like to take a crisp divit with even my long irons and mats when you really hit down they get stuck and bouce off a bit. also i dont get why people hit off mats in summer i see people at driving range, golf is a game played on grass not mats, its like playing ice hockey practsie on grass.

anyway my tip would be get into good posture then make sure your not got a flat backswing. then the number one thing to work on will be practise taking a divot after the ball, hitting down on the ballwith irons is key ecspecially short irons.

Deceleration through the ball can cause fats, as can playing the ball too far forward in your stance without understanding how to adjust your swing and setup to accommodate that position. Be sure and swing though the ball without holding up trying to hit it too perfectly, just let it go.

Ball Contact Drill

Ball Contact Drill

I was out at A local club (Applecross in Downing town, Pa) last week and the pro was teaching off of really nice mats mats and had the kids place a towel behind the ball - the object of the drill was to hit the ball first and not move the towel. I think you could combine this with the business card tip above. the mats they are using are the CC Elite Mats and you definitely know if you hit a fat shot.

I tend to hit fat when my takeaway is to much on the inside, I dont know the reason why it's just what my pro keeps telling me.

I bought the Fairwaypro divot simulator mat. It is awesome! You can hit through the ball as you would on the fairway. My wrists were killing me hitting off of regular mats, but when you strike the fairwaypro the tray slides forward as you hit. If you hit before the ball it is a fat shot. I was a little hesitant as it is a few $$, but it is really well made, and is made of aircraft aluminum. You can also buy replacement turf if needed, but I used mine all winter, at least 40 balls hit off of it a day, and the turf still looks new. Can't remember the name of the mat with the gel in it, but was rated high as well, but people said it wears out quickly and was double what I paid for the fairway pro. So I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Am in the middle of a swing change, so this was very useful.

My biggest problem was also hitting heavy shots. I've found it helpful to think logically about the solution. Looking at the ball, your swing is bottoming out too far right (assuming a righty). You need to figure out how to move the bottom a few inches to the left. First, determine which category you fall into- Are you a flipper, are you swaying back in the backswing, are you simply too steep, etc... Second, fix the issue. If you are swaying back then you need to work on your setup and focus on turning into your right side instead of over your back side. If you are flipping, then picture the "L" that is formed between your right forearm and the shaft right before impact. Practice maintaining that angle. If you're too steep then flatten the swing by coming a bit more from the inside or by rotating the face open (this is a drill). By rotating open, you will shallow the swing. With the face open, finish the swing and square the face by pivoting (think "open the door, and then close the door"). My advice is to not just try random things but take a few minutes in front of a camera or mirror and determine your personal issue, and then use logic to fix it.

GL

Back