Am I playing the right irons?

olvr_vrmr

Reaction score
Handicap
I know this is a question that is subject to heavy discussion and personal opinion.

Right now, I'm playing off a 43 handicap, shooting about 55-57 on the par 36 front 9 at our club. I have a set of Mizuno MX-23 forged irons but sometimes I feel I'm hurting my scores with them. Could I benefit from looking into GI or SGI clubs or should I persevere with my Mizuno's?

Note: I'm hitting my 7I about 155-160 yards...

23s are pretty forgiving irons. You would probably gain some distance with a newer set of GI/SGI irons but that doesn't always equate to lower scores. Let me ask you this: what would you say is the biggest thing holding your game back?

I don't think they're hurting you that much, but maybe a look in to SGI irons wouldn't hurt, and a proper lie/length fitting could help a lot!

I had a length/lie fitting, irons are 1 inch longer and 3° upright... :)

I think the biggest things holding me back are accuracy of the tee (3W and hybrid are pretty solid though) and consistency when I'm 100-160 yards out...within 100 yards, I'm pretty accurate with my wedges (but I should add a 52° to my set).

Oh yeah, time to practice is also holding me back, but obviously, that has nothing to do with my irons...

I would say the irons arent hurting you that bad unless you are playing thr wrong shaft and lie angle. I would also recommend lots of practice but start from the hole and work backwards. Get comfortable putting, then learn to chip and pitch well then work on each iron progressively. Last would be the woods, this method has served me quite well and I have seen major improvement in my game.

Sounds to me like you just need to spend more time at the range. As someone who has owned about a dozen sets of iron over the past year, let me tell you that the clubs will only do what you tell them to, so new irons aren't going to fix your problem.

I have hit the 23's and they are pretty forgiving for a forged iron....could you gain distance and accuracy with a SGI set....probably so....would that equate to better scores...that's hard to say.

If you're hitting your 7 iron up to 160 yards then you need to put in a bit of practice and watch your handicap drop like a rock!
You'll be in the 20's in no time.

Something doesn't add up for me I'm afraid. You say you're accurate from 100yards and in, and that your 3W and hybrid off the tee are pretty solid etc etc. Yet off a 43 handicap that equates to a double bogey or worse on most holes so somewhere the whole story isn't being told? Admittedly time at the range will help but I'd suggest going to see a pro/coach for a couple lessons and get your fundamentals right. If as you say your 3W and hybrid are solid off the tee, play to those strengths. Based on your 7iron going 155-160, your 3W should be well over 220yeards?. If that's the case, think of the game like this. On an average par 5 you're playing maybe a 520-580yard hole. A 3W off the tee, another or hybrid from the fairway or short rough gets you another 180+ up the fairway, from there your solid/accurate wedge game gets you on the green and 2 putts equals a par. Golf is a simple game, realise where you're coming up short, play to your strenths and aim for par, birdies will come in time. Par 4's are the same, 3W off the tee, and maybe a hybrid to the green or close enough to chip and maybe a putt or 2 equals a bogey at worst. I know I'm rambling but I hope you get the point I'm trying to make? Even aiming for a double bogey on each hole would drop your handicap to mid 30's and from there you start aiming for a bogey on each hole, then par etc etc. As for your irons, I don't think they're hurting you but looking at newer and possibly GI irons might help but without seeing you swing and playing with you it'd be impossible to say whether you need another set. I've played with guys who play off high teen handicaps that play blades, hit them super solidly yet can't chip or putt.

Something doesn't add up for me I'm afraid. You say you're accurate from 100yards and in, and that your 3W and hybrid off the tee are pretty solid etc etc. Yet off a 43 handicap that equates to a double bogey or worse on most holes so somewhere the whole story isn't being told? Admittedly time at the range will help but I'd suggest going to see a pro/coach for a couple lessons and get your fundamentals right. If as you say your 3W and hybrid are solid off the tee, play to those strengths. Based on your 7iron going 155-160, your 3W should be well over 220yeards?. If that's the case, think of the game like this. On an average par 5 you're playing maybe a 520-580yard hole. A 3W off the tee, another or hybrid from the fairway or short rough gets you another 180+ up the fairway, from there your solid/accurate wedge game gets you on the green and 2 putts equals a par. Golf is a simple game, realise where you're coming up short, play to your strenths and aim for par, birdies will come in time. Par 4's are the same, 3W off the tee, and maybe a hybrid to the green or close enough to chip and maybe a putt or 2 equals a bogey at worst. I know I'm rambling but I hope you get the point I'm trying to make? Even aiming for a double bogey on each hole would drop your handicap to mid 30's and from there you start aiming for a bogey on each hole, then par etc etc. As for your irons, I don't think they're hurting you but looking at newer and possibly GI irons might help but without seeing you swing and playing with you it'd be impossible to say whether you need another set. I've played with guys who play off high teen handicaps that play blades, hit them super solidly yet can't chip or putt.

I see your point, and when I say pretty solid, I mean I can hit them relatively straight 6-7 times out of 10. And 3W is going 218 when struck solid... (note, I said relatively straight ;-) )
looking at the round I played last Wednesday, I played the 2 par 5's pretty decent (one in 7 and one in 6 - last one even with a penalty stroke). The par 3's were both double bogeys but I had 2 par 4's that ended up in blow up holes (posting a 9 and 8) resulting in a stableford score of 20 over 9 holes...
stats for that round: 43% fairways hit, 3 penalties, and only one time in the bunker...

How's your putting?

can't complain, I can avoid 3-putting most of the time...longer than 8 feet is almost always a 2-putt...

overall, I'm pretty happy with my game and my scores are getting better every time I play. I was just wondering about the irons, because last week I played with a guy who was playing Ping G20 and his score was through the roof... (33 stableford over 9 holes...)

What works for one person won't always work for you. Tiger plays forgesd blades that look like razors but I know I can't play like him if I bought them, get the point? If there's one trick/tip I can give you about the game, know your limits and what you can and can't do. If you miss the green on a par 3, don't go for the Mickelson lob if you don't have the skills/know how. If you hit it in the bush off the tee, play back to the nearest safe area, don't aim for that 3sqare foot gap 60 yards ahead and 40yards up, lol. Play safe, if you get out of position get yourself back in position. Like I say, golf is simple, don't make it harder than it has to be. I have to clarify that I'm not having a go at you, simply trying to help a fellow golfer improve.

I wouldn't say it's the irons. SGI and Gi may be longer but not necessarily more accurate.

Getting some lessons and fit for a driver in that order will be more beneficial in the long run.

For now playing for your miss and playing the safe shot will shave strokes off your game.

I've moved from a 120+ down to high 90s. I'm confident that I can get to high 80s this season. Keys are:
- Avoid penalty strokes: those just kill you
- Play to your strengths
- With respect to risk: putting < chipping < pitching < full swings This is very important in the short game.
- With respect to club selection risk: irons < hybrids < fairways This applies to the long game.
- Stay out of traps
- Short and straight is better than long and wild
- Make sure you can hit something off the tee straight, even if it only goes 200 yards. A dirty little secret is that 200 yards off the tee is really all you need, even on the longest courses. There are very few 200+ yard par threes.
- Play to spots where you are comfortable. If you are good at 100 yards, then hit the hybrid that leaves you there as opposed to the fairway that leaves you at 40 yards.
- Work on the short game. Two putts should be the max, but the goal should really be down in two if you are up close to the pin. If you are not hitting greens and still have 36+ putts over 18, then you are really going to struggle. That means you've averaged 3 to get down, which is bogey golf even if you make no other mistakes elsewhere.

As for your original question, I don't know much about those Mizunos. From looking at them, I suspect there are more forgiving irons out there.

If you like hybrids, you might be better off with a set of something like Cleveland XLIs/HB3s. The Altitudes are this year's set. There's a huge thread on them and you will see even low handicappers (sub 5) dropping scores from using them. They're designed for lateral forgiveness on the head and to hit the ball high and straight. That's exactly what someone at our handicap level needs.

I own a set of MX-23s. They are nice GI forged Irons from 2008-2009. Recently just bought a set of ping G25's and they are definitely more forgiving. I shot a 79 at the same course I used to shoot 90's on, the club helped a little, but the $450 worth of lessons helped A LOT more. If you shoot 40 over, I would keep the MX-23s and play more. I've been hitting the range after work every other day and try to play every weekend on the course. With my improved swing, I can switch back to my MX-23 and still shoot a similar score. I just like shiny new things every so often to motivate me to play :)

can't complain, I can avoid 3-putting most of the time...longer than 8 feet is almost always a 2-putt...

overall, I'm pretty happy with my game and my scores are getting better every time I play. I was just wondering about the irons, because last week I played with a guy who was playing Ping G20 and his score was through the roof... (33 stableford over 9 holes...)
Hmmmm. Looks like maybe your driving is the weakest part of your game. Less than 50% FIR is going to hurt your scores and make things more difficult. Sounds like some range time and lessons may be in order.

I definitely agree that lessons are needed before you look at changing any gear. Lessons and a different approach to the game.

Those clubs are plenty forgiving........ I had a set about 4 years ago, and actually went from a 36 to a 12 using them. They're not bad clubs at all.

SGI and GI will be longer and probably more forgiving. However, lessons and practice time will benefit you more.

Took the advice to play to my strengths and played one of my best rounds ever...
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice...

Took the advice to play to my strengths and played one of my best rounds ever...
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice...

That's awesome, congrats on a great round!

Sounds like practice is what you need to get more consistent. I was having the same troubles, my drives where 50-50, irons where descent, and putting was pretty good. I had troubles with rushing my shots and trying to go for shots that I knew I could make but not safe and ended up hurting me. I say practice, slow down, and play conservative.

Sounds like practice is what you need to get more consistent. I was having the same troubles, my drives where 50-50, irons where descent, and putting was pretty good. I had troubles with rushing my shots and trying to go for shots that I knew I could make but not safe and ended up hurting me. I say practice, slow down, and play conservative.

First, congrats on your good round today!
I'd like to echo a lot of the good advice that you have gotten here.
Try to play away from trouble.
Throttle down your swing or club selection to put the ball in the fairway and to keep the ball in the fairway.
With your short game, don't try to pull off the heroic shot. If you short side a green, don't automatically grab your most lofted wedge and try to make the ball stop on a dime in the small area on the green between you and the flag. Just put the ball on the green somehow. I have to remind myself this from time to time.
Do these things (and practice putting and chipping during 70% of your practice time) and you'll find yourself not wasting as many shots and your handicap will drop like a rock in no time.

I know this is a question that is subject to heavy discussion and personal opinion.

Right now, I'm playing off a 43 handicap, shooting about 55-57 on the par 36 front 9 at our club. I have a set of Mizuno MX-23 forged irons but sometimes I feel I'm hurting my scores with them. Could I benefit from looking into GI or SGI clubs or should I persevere with my Mizuno's?

Note: I'm hitting my 7I about 155-160 yards...
try out Mizuno JPX 825 (non-pro or pro)..

Back